imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 AM

Thats why i put striker above dao. Glocks are more a hybrid desighn. Still dont like em much, but there not the worse either.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

The problem with how pretty much all concealed carry pistols are DAO is that if it isn't hard enough to hold and aim the little bastard that hardly fits in your hand, you have to pull back an 6-12 pound trigger.

Full sized guns with DAO aren't actually that bad if you aren't in a huge hurry to hit your target. I shot a Beretta 96D and as long as I slowly squeezed the trigger, it followed through well.

I personally would prefer Single Action/Double Action best, but I still like the idea of carrying condition one, hammer cocked, and safety on. Because when you need to draw your weapon in a bad situation, your first shot really has to count, and the extra amount the sights are thrown off by you pulling back the DA trigger can determine if you live to eat breakfast tomorrow.

Conceal carrying a Glock 30 is appealing to me, since the trigger is in a half-double action and there is no safety. You just draw and fire. Plus it's sub-compact and fits 10+1 .45 ACP rounds. Plus I saw why having a smaller handgun for carry is more useful than a full-size. It's not about comfort in carrying, it's about being able to draw and fire it before someone kills you, and if it's smaller, it comes up faster.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 AM

And having a gun. I know 2 guys (brothers) who carry, one bought a .357 sig full sized glock, one a j frame lightweight. Guess who always had his gun, and guess who only carried in winter? A glock 30 may kick bad, its not the caliber, its how well you place shots with it. Ill keep .45 for full sized guns, 9mm is enough for carry. For civilian self defense, with modern JHP, there isn;t much difference in calibers. For LEOs, who need to fire at bad guys through cover, windshields, etc, i think .45, which maintains mass through barriers, is a much better choice.