imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default The Three

Figured I would post a pic of my three 1911 pistols. The new to me Springfield loaded, RIA .38 Super and Para GI Expert. The three day waiting period was up on the Springfield Saturday, it's the last handgun I'll have to do that on. (CC license came in the same day) The RIA I got a month or so back, bought it mainly for the ammo and mags that was included. (I have a .38 Super Colt Commander project that I'm still collecting parts for.) 900 rounds FMJ, 250 Winchester STHP and 8 extra Metalform mags.

I had a shootout with the four .45s today (2 1911s, S&W 4505, and SIG P220)

With both 1911s I shot to the left (not enough trigger finger) The S&W and SIG both shot in the center. Which I think is because I'm used to that style trigger. Shooting Hi-Powers and Berettas. I shot the best with the the S&W. But I have more trigger time with it over the SIG. With my last two remaining mags I was able to shoot the Springfield in the center.

Neither the SIG or S&W had feeding issues either. The Springfield had a problem with one particular Wilson mag that came with it. The Para had a problem with Speer Gold Dot HP with a factory mag and FMJ with a Mec-gar. In Para's defense, the manual says a 500 round break-in, I don't have maybe 300 through it.

After shooting all of those, 6 mags apiece except for the Springfield with 8. The RIA was a dream to shoot. So much softer shooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thethreex.JPG (57.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by predator20; 10-10-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM

Does RIA stand for Rock Island Armory? If so, I had no clue they made .38 Super

Edit: My bad, I'm watching a movie while typing and didn't realize what I posted because I wan't paying attention

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 10-10-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Does RIA stand for Rock Island Armory? If so, I had no clue they made .38 Super
Yes, I was just being lazy. It's made in the Philippines by Armscor. RIA is the import name I guess. They make them in 9mm too. I haven't had any feeding issues with it. But on certain mags it won't lock the slide back on the last round. It's a decent $400 1911, the previous owner changed the GI sights to XS sights. Came with those grips too.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Yes, I was just being lazy. It's made in the Philippines by Armscor. RIA is the import name I guess. I haven't had any feeding issues with it. But on certain mags it won't lock the slide back on the last round. It's a decent $400 1911, the previous owner changed the GI sights to XS sights. Came with those grips too.
I meant to say .38 Super. I knew they made a 1911, I almost bought one but it was in pretty bad shape, so I got the High Standard

Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 PM

How's that Para working out for you? I never hear anything about them

Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
How's that Para working out for you? I never hear anything about them
It's alright. The fit is good. I read a lot of complaints on the ParaKote finish that's on the GI Expert. I've thought about selling it since I now have the Springfield. I was wanting a Mil-Spec when I bought the Para, but none were around.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:28 PM

the 1911 is my favorite handgun, 2 generations of my family, and eventually I, own one. i think it is a downright smexy handgun
Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It's alright. The fit is good. I read a lot of complaints on the ParaKote finish that's on the GI Expert. I've thought about selling it since I now have the Springfield. I was wanting a Mil-Spec when I bought the Para, but none were around.
Is your Para one of them double stacks? I've been thinking about getting one when I actually buy a 1911 because my hands are so damn big

Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Is your Para one of them double stacks? I've been thinking about getting one when I actually buy a 1911 because my hands are so damn big
No it's a single stack. If it was a double stack I wouldn't consider selling it. I don't have large hands, but I handled a Para LDA double stack and the grip was comfortable. Springfield also makes a double stack, as does Rock Island. But Para is more known for them.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
No it's a single stack. If it was a double stack I wouldn't consider selling it. I don't have large hands, but I handled a Para LDA double stack and the grip was comfortable. Springfield also makes a double stack, as does Rock Island. But Para is more known for them.
High Standard also makes a double stack, but fuck those guys- I don't like my hand being torn open by their crappy beavertails that you would have to contact a custom parts shop to replace