imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Default What guns should be on the site...

I'm wondering if one of the admins can clarify the rules for guns that can appear on the site. I was under the impression that in order to be listed on the site, a gun or variant MUST have appeared in at least one movie/TV show/video game/anime. My impression was also that the only exception to this rule was guns that MoviePropMaster2008 had uploaded because he expects them to be used.

I'm bringing this up because it seems that a lot of unused guns have been appearing lately. One such example is the SIG-Sauer 516 Series. Only 1 of these 5 variants appear...

I'm just seeking clarification on what the rule is. Have we changed the policy or am I misinterpreting it?

Thanks!
-Z
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

I saw that page and it vexed me a bit, particularly as three of the guns are the exact same gun with a different colour. I really don't think that a variant should be on the main page when it hasn't appeared in anything as it just looks weird and turns the page into an information page about the gun rather than about what it has been in. I think it would be ok though to put these entries in the discussion section in an "Other Variants" section at the top for reference in case it turns up in anything else.

I made a page foe the BMS Milcam Rifle Series, but as the only one that has appeared is the Snicam that is the only one that has an entry. However I did upload the other variants in the series and put them in the discussion page for reference, and that would be my idea on how stuff like this should be done.

On another topic, does anyone else not like how this person is doing the specifications? Caliber AND Cartridge ?!? Effective range is also totally irrelevant in terms of an ID, as is ROF for the most part (games have no need to get it right, and it is different for blank adapted guns and made totally irrelevant by the fact that the sound you here is a stock recording), so there is no need to include them is there? I suppose the place of origin may actually be useful though, in terms of working out if a gun is likely to appear in stuff depending on where it is shot.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Thumbs down

I was JUST talking about that. YES! I DO NOT like how he is including all this additional information AND not doing it in the format that all the other pages are. This isn't a gun encyclopedia. We don't need to know the effective ranges and muzzle velocity.

DISLIKE!

And I do agree that it's fine to upload additional images for the discussion page. You can even post 1 or 2 on the main page. But for goodness sake, dont give them their own section with all the specs if they haven't appeared in anything yet, or just because its a different freaking color...

Last edited by zackmann08; 05-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.