imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Unexpected benefit to the gun buying frenzy. Well for me at least.

Okay so we all know that 22 LR, 9mm, 45ACP, 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO are now very hard to find and prices are inflated - especially on 5.56mm. We also know that pretty much any and all AR models are also hard to find along with hi-cap magazines.

Well today is the first day ,since the school shooting, that I stopped in at one of my local gunshops. Guess what I discovered. While they are also pretty much out of all the items I listed above the one thing they are overflowing with are older models of all types. Winchester Model 12 shotguns in all gauges, numerous sporterized bolt action rifles (Lee - Enfields, 1903's, 1917 Enfields, Mauser 98's), many collectible revolvers (Colt OM's, various four and five screw S&W) and semi-autos to include an Artillery Luger, an American Eagle Luger, a pristine Model 1935 High-Power (pre-WWII) with the adjustable sights several Mauser pocket pistols and so on. Also many of the prices were pretty reasonable. Oh some were a bit much, but that goes with the territory.

I was not expecting to see so many older models. In case you haven't guessed I'm a big fan of the "old" stuff. I was advised by the manager that they have had a run of folks trading in their older pieces in order to purchase AR-15 rifles, magazines, and ammo.

No complaints from me. Actually I have one. I am not yet ready for another gun purchase and it took all of my willpower to walk out of there with the credit card still in the wallet. But I have a feeling some of the various pieces might still be there in a couple of months. I suspect that many people are draining their inventories and discretionary funds in order to purchase one AR-15, some ammo and a few magazines. I still suspect that in a few months this bubble is going to burst and many will not be in the market for awhile.

So while I am frustrated by the panic buying going on I have realized that their is a silver lining for those who are a bit more patient - and not shopping for an AR-15 of course
Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

When I have more money, I want to start collecting old rifles, starting with a Mosin Nagant and work my way up to getting the more expensive 03s and I've always wanted to get a Tanker Garand.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

My wife was just talking to me and when she learned about the prices on the shotguns ($200-$350) she informed me that we can swing that - as long as the shotguns are , and I'm quoting her here, "truly nice and collectible". There is a "truly nice" Winchester Model 12 with a 26" barrel and an English style straight stock in 16 gauge ,"sweet" 16 they used to call it, priced for $300.00. I might be making a return trip tomorrow.

I'm not what you would call a shotgunner, but I like the Model 12. 16 gauge is a bit more than 12 gauge, but it is still made and plentiful. Plus it would make a nice addition to my collection of "old" guns.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM

That's great - sad to say, for the collector the introduction of new gun control laws can be a great time. I started collecting right around the time the former long gun registry came into force up here. I remember walking into SIR (now taken over by Cabelas) and finding the racks full of all sorts of great old military rifles for under $200. I just wish I'd had a real job back then! Now I basically run the used guns in the Winnipeg store we rarely get anything that interests me. Lots of Remington 770s though...

Interestingly we're just starting to feel the squeeze of the panic buying up here. When there's that much buying going on in the US, Canada is always at the bottom of the list to receive stock. Small rifle primers are already getting scarce, and I suspect it's about to get a whole lot worse.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
When I have more money, I want to start collecting old rifles, starting with a Mosin Nagant and work my way up to getting the more expensive 03s and I've always wanted to get a Tanker Garand.
Why wait? The last time I saw, a run of the mill Mosin-Nagant could be had for a hundred bucks.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Why wait? The last time I saw, a run of the mill Mosin-Nagant could be had for a hundred bucks.
Yeah it is. I'm going to start with the cheapest I can get and work my way up

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Over on the Colt forum (www.coltforum.com) one of the posters just purchased a minty Colt 38 Super with a nickel finish for $570.00. Evidently it dates from the 1950's and that is avery good price for a minty Colt 38 Super. The kid who sold it to him said he had inherited the pistol from his grandfather, but he needed the money so he could "buy an assult rifle of some type".

$570.00 is a very good price for that pistol. Especially if it really is in minty or mint condition. That's just an example of the silliness going on right now.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM

Hmm.... Might have to go down to the Grand Forks gunshow next month and see what kind of deals I can get on a pre-1898....
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Over on the Colt forum (www.coltforum.com) one of the posters just purchased a minty Colt 38 Super with a nickel finish for $570.00. Evidently it dates from the 1950's and that is avery good price for a minty Colt 38 Super. The kid who sold it to him said he had inherited the pistol from his grandfather, but he needed the money so he could "buy an assult rifle of some type".

$570.00 is a very good price for that pistol. Especially if it really is in minty or mint condition. That's just an example of the silliness going on right now.
I don't know who that kid is, but I now officially hate him.

Super .38s need to be treasuered by shooters who appreciate great men like Bob Lee and Earl Lee Swagger and Melvin Purvis.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I don't know who that kid is, but I now officially hate him.

Super .38s need to be treasuered by shooters who appreciate great men like Bob Lee and Earl Lee Swagger and Melvin Purvis.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Idiot. On the other hand if that stupid kid had walked up to me with the same offer I would have been happy to take that "old" gun off his hands so he could buy a modern assault rifle "of some type". I mean if he doesn't want grandpa's old gun I'll make sure it has a home where it will be appreciated.

Actually I have a couple of my grandfather's guns. One of which is a Colt Detective Special. I won't be selling them so I can buy an assault rifle.