imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
Or it could be we do have anything to do so we start to come up with ways to remove stuff like Indirect Weapons or films with one gun in it.
The Anime and Videogame articles takeup ALOT more space then indirect weapons & films with one gun in it.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
You get no argument with me about Video Games. LOL. I've been pushing that mantra for years. Its a lost cause. But that is not for just one or two mods to decide. Despite my wishes ... hahaha. I can't impose my will on the rest of the membership since there are obviously a lot of members who like creating Video game pages (despite the fact that so many of the pages are of poor quality).
Make that three. I don't care for them.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I don't care for a lot of video game pages, but I don't agree that they need to be removed in their entirety. It would also be unfair to the people who do make good video game pages.

I'm also surprised to hear this from the armorers. I realize you guys make your living working on movies and TV shows, but Steve, I know you've worked with video game dev teams at least a few times in your career. So I have to ask: Do you want VGs off the site because you don't respect them as art, or simply because many of the IMFDB users who make the pages are incompetent?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I don't care for a lot of video game pages, but I don't agree that they need to be removed in their entirety. It would also be unfair to the people who do make good video game pages.

I'm also surprised to hear this from the armorers. I realize you guys make your living working on movies and TV shows, but Steve, I know you've worked with video game dev teams at least a few times in your career. So I have to ask: Do you want VGs off the site because you don't respect them as art, or simply because many of the IMFDB users who make the pages are incompetent?
Well if we banished them EARLY it would have been easier. Now it's been years and people have put work into all those stupid VG pages

I can't speak for Steve, but the guns in any game are an avatar. They're not real. Also so many of them are BS (franken guns, made from lazy artists who morph several weapons together) and yet people spend HOURS trying to stretch the realm of logic and declare them to be ONE real world gun or another ... or worse two people arguing just 'what that blurry rectangle is supposed to be'.

Also there is NO information for posterity here. We're not collecting nor logging Hollywood facts and figures. The fact that SOME artist drew SOME picture of a gun merits a big "So What"? in my mind. If it were REAL (like the first instance of a P226 or the first appearance of an SP1, now that MEANS something).

Also I don't like how Videogame artists depict weapons which NO ONE EVER USED IN THE REAL WORLD, like all those prototype Russian weapons, which no one has and no one uses, but because they appear in a Video game, we have to have a gun page for them here. Tons of those obscure Russian prototype and limited prod run weapons would be GONE and I would be glad. If they appeared in REAL Russian cinema (with good screencaps) I would be glad, but they don't.

Note how there are more Pancor Jackhammers in Video games then there EVER WERE MADE in real life.

Any way, you know the mantra. I like others are also tired of running into a FRESH bunch of ten year olds who make mistakes on pages, created lame or inappropriate pages or argue with us. Sure adults can be poor contributors as well, but the sheer WAVE of kids (and not the smart ones who know about real world guns) that hit with a regular cycle, gets tiresome fast.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM

I agree with MPM. Damn kids and their poorly made pages....

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I agree with MPM. Damn kids and their poorly made pages....
I think the YOUNGEST imfdb member ever to introduce themselves in the last three years was SEVEN (7), the next youngest was Ten (10). The vast majority of new members are 14-15. You see a trend here? With the exception of a few minors who are experienced with and knowledgeable about firearms (e.g. GM45's father is a gunsmith and GM45 back at age 15 knew MORE about small arms than most adults), the vast majority of the new membership own no firearms, cannot legally purchase firearms on their own and have zero experience with firearms, but yet create pages and edit tons of information on other pages that is wildly inaccurate.

Digression:
Actually as an adult, I'm alittle perturbed that so many kids have access to and regularly view R-rated movies. I knew a 12 year old who had Pulp Fiction memorized and there are some vile scenes in that otherwise excellent film.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Sorry, ANYWAY, back to the original discussion!

What do you guys think about limiting it to any weapon used at the Platoon level?

I hesitate to say brigade level, then you get self propelled guns, howitzers, UAV launched missiles, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM

If the weapon does not have a dismounted variation and is only a vehicle/aircraft armament it should be disqualified.
This would disqualify All self propelled howitzers, AGM-114 Hellfire, M242 Bushmaster.

It would also disqualify everything from the topic post of this thread:

"aerial bombs, cruise missiles, air burst munitions, Battle ship main guns"

Like you suggested I also think it would be appropriate for Platoon level to be a deciding factor with whatever case by case exceptions that may come up.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM

I would also like to add that if we are undecisive on deleting videogames that we should at the very least get rid of all the User-made videogame mods. I mean it's stupid, no different than out policy of not allowing films that are not on IMDB and are made by a bunch of kids....which most of the time what user-made videogame mods are.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I would also like to add that if we are undecisive on deleting videogames that we should at the very least get rid of all the User-made videogame mods. I mean it's stupid, no different than out policy of not allowing films that are not on IMDB and are made by a bunch of kids....which most of the time what user-made videogame mods are.
I don't care one way or another about the MODS, but Bunni originally DID allow Mods for popular and commercially available game titles, so they are allowed. I don't question Imperious Leader. It's his sandbox and I just play in it. I will push for enactment of stuff that has not been explicitly addressed, but anything that Bunni has already clearly given the thumbs up or thumbs down, I don't question.