imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

More and more guys that I've seen and talked to are starting to carry "truck guns". Some have extra handguns, but some do have rifles or shorties like mine that is legally a pistol. We don't plan to ever use them for an encounter where our carry guns will do the job but for the worst day, it's best to have one.

There is no statistic because who would admit they have a larger gun in their car? I have mine broken down for storage but a lot of people have fully assembled rifles in a larger bag.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM
IMFDB Admin

I didn't mean the number of people who carry long arms in their vehicle, I mean numbers of people that have ever had to actually use them. I didn't know if this was a number that had ever actually been compiled by anyone as I do not ever recall hearing of an incident where a weapon carried like this has actually been used. I assume that it has happened at some point but I cannot find any examples.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think the idea is this isn't for a straight up encounter. It's for the worse day. I got tourniquets in my first aid when I didn't before. It's not that will we ever get a chance to use a bigger gun, but depending how we judge a situation and how we pack our bags, it's nice to have if we can afford it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

I totally understand the rationale for wanting to pack one, I just was curious if there had ever been a situation where one was legitimately used. I carry a full first aid kit in my car and have even been in a situation where I have used a tourniquet on someone who had been in a traffic accident so it is easy to justify routinely carrying stuff like a FAK and fire extinguisher. However with a trunk gun it is harder to justify as I am unaware of a situation where one has been useful for anything over shooting a wounded animal on the side of the road.

All of that being said if I lived in the US I would still probably do it, I'm just not convinced that they are realistically something that will be useful to the point where it is worth the expense, space, inconvenience and risk of carrying one.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
All of that being said if I lived in the US I would still probably do it, I'm just not convinced that they are realistically something that will be useful to the point where it is worth the expense, space, inconvenience and risk of carrying one.
Right. Nothing against those that wish to do it and indeed for all my own skepticism and even criticism I will quite likely do something similar in due course (have a dedicated vehicle weapon) - That said frankly I have to agree with the supposed cost-benefit point being raised here. After all there is a point where trying to be so practical gets.. well, impractical.

As for the earlier point, I agree they could just do with removing the SB restrictions, or even loosening the reigns a bit - Which ultimately is more-or-less the same damn thing. Still for my own setup I would probably get something of a longer barrel carbine though just like c552. What can I say.. not into the shorties too much.

Last edited by StanTheMan; 02-15-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:41 AM

If I ever start carrying a long gun in my car, I'm just going to go snag a Hi Point carbine or a cheap shotgun from a pawn shop. Just because it's waaaaaay more likely to be stolen

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
What can I say.. not into the shorties too much.
Like I said, some guys would have longer barrel guns broken down to easy storage. I got a short 10.5 because it fits nicely in a plain backpack when it's broken down. I hope I never get a chance to use it but it's there and I don't always carry it with me. If I'm making a quick run to the store, get gas, etc, I have my EDC. This is for long trips and to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If I ever start carrying a long gun in my car, I'm just going to go snag a Hi Point carbine or a cheap shotgun from a pawn shop. Just because it's waaaaaay more likely to be stolen
People get stuff stolen from their car because they don't secure it or their car, park their cars in bad neighborhoods, etc. It costed me a combine total of 600 to build my shorty and a 3rd of the cost was the expensive brace. My company doesn't have a parking garage so I literally pack in front of the building to the entrance and I work in a warehouse/industrial kind of town with not a lot of residential areas. I know crime can happen anywhere, but it's something I factored it. When I go home, I take my back of gun with me. Idiots leave their guns in their cars when they are at home and that's how they get stolen.

Realistically I don't need to justify why I have a bigger gun to anyone. It's my personal preference. Some guys have an extra handgun in their car, some have shotguns or rifles. I have an AR.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
People get stuff stolen from their car because they don't secure it or their car,
WRONG, it can happen anywhere; my mother had a Speed Six stolen out of her locked car, on our street, in one of the safest cities in Texas, and gun was hidden from view

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
WRONG, it can happen anywhere; my mother had a Speed Six stolen out of her locked car, on our street, in one of the safest cities in Texas, and gun was hidden from view
So you mean the gun was in the car at home? Which goes to my point. Don't leave stuff in your car when you're at home. I lost an IPOD once because my dad drove my car and didn't lock the door

Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Is now the right time to bring up the saga of the ATF and the dreaded 14" assault shoelace?

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/20...g-machine-gun/