imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM

I don't mind profanity, as long as the quote is good. A random-ass pointless quote should go, profanity or not.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 PM

I want this quote to go in particular
Quote:
'''Mikaela Banes ([[Megan Fox]]):''' I'll drive, you shoot! -- ''[[Transformers]]''
Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I don't mind profanity, as long as the quote is good. A random-ass pointless quote should go, profanity or not.
It's not about what YOU mind seeing. I mentioned before that our members are pretty much immune to the F-bombs. But it looks bad to new visitors and VIPs or casual visitors who are being shown the site. I vote to only allow general audiences 'classic movie quotes' and keep the profane (even if they are funny) quotes out.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 PM

umm Bot^^^^
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 PM

I reported him. We should really be on the lookout for bots. We should talk to Bunny to see if there is any way to put some better anti-bot protection here.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 AM

I think , first and foremost, that the stupid Transformers ones have to go. Second, I don't think profanity is an issue, as I've stated before. We can't cap movies with violence and gore and then eliminate foul language because of it's offensive potential, that makes no sense. As far as professionalism goes, I think it's right to want to make the site look more professional and uniform, but taking swears out is just going to make the place look silly.

The ones I'd like to see go from the like are the Transformers quote (both of them, actually), most of the Shoot 'em Up quotes, maybe the Superbad one cause the humor presents a generation gap.

The quotes from Terminator, Lock Stock, Snatch and Lord of War should stay and never be taken down because they are either from good movies or they are just memorable quotes, their length or adult language content be damned.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I think , first and foremost, that the stupid Transformers ones have to go. Second, I don't think profanity is an issue, as I've stated before. We can't cap movies with violence and gore and then eliminate foul language because of it's offensive potential, that makes no sense. As far as professionalism goes, I think it's right to want to make the site look more professional and uniform, but taking swears out is just going to make the place look silly.

The ones I'd like to see go from the like are the Transformers quote (both of them, actually), most of the Shoot 'em Up quotes, maybe the Superbad one cause the humor presents a generation gap.

The quotes from Terminator, Lock Stock, Snatch and Lord of War should stay and never be taken down because they are either from good movies or they are just memorable quotes, their length or adult language content be damned.
Amen. I agree with YNH. I couln't put it better myself.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
We can't cap movies with violence and gore and then eliminate foul language because of it's offensive potential, that makes no sense. As far as professionalism goes, I think it's right to want to make the site look more professional and uniform, but taking swears out is just going to make the place look silly.
I agree completely. Our site is full of movie images showing enormous amounts of violent content. It almost goes without saying that this is a grown-folks site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
it looks bad to new visitors and VIPs or casual visitors who are being shown the site.
First, what VIPs? Do you mean that there actually filmmakers or actors who look at our site?

Anyway, I imagine that people who find profanity offensive probably find guns and violence just as offensive, in which case they're likely to think of our site as "bad", regardless of the profanity. Have you ever met anyone who liked firearms but was vehemently opposed to the use of 4-letter words? I sure haven't. Maybe this is anecdotal, but everyone I've ever known who shoots guns also swears more than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Amen. I agree with YNH. I couln't put it better myself.
That being said, you are still going to need to tone down your own swearing. Aside from the fact that you sound awkward doing it, I find it annoying because you're playing a stereotype of how Americans speak. We don't walk around saying, "What the motherfuck?"

Last edited by MT2008; 11-15-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I agree completely. Our site is full of movie images showing enormous amounts of violent content. It almost goes without saying that this is a grown-folks site.
I consider myself a grownup and I like movies with action and and whatnot; that doesn't mean that I think cursing is acceptable. (though as most everyone I do curse every now and then but I try and keep it to a minimum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
First, what VIPs? Do you mean that there actually filmmakers or actors who look at our site?
Quoting MPM's note he posted on everyone's talk page about snobby remarks on actor's gun training

Quote:
(here is a note I've been posting around IMFDB)

I recently had the unpleasant experience of having some of the performers being insulted in some of our movie pages see what some of the IMFDB members write. there are some pretty condescending remarks regarding horrible grips, gun stance, bad gun discipline and blinking while shooting. I'm trying to promote the website and it's embarrassing to see actors getting insulted for pretty trivial reasons. What are your thoughts regarding this?

See below:

I'm asking all members to stop with the sarcastic comments in the screencap descriptions Too many members feel it's funny to be extremely sarcastic about actor's shooting stance, their blinking, their pistol grips. Only if it's so over the top as for the average person to notice, then don't keep on harping on it. Most actors are given only a bare amount of time to train, if at all. Many times the editor picks the worst take for pistol grip, but best take for other reasons like acting. Also much of the blame falls on the director. Some directors don't want to be bothered trying to train the actors and don't allow us armorers to even give them more training than the minimum safety training. People in the industry check out this website, and some think we're a bunch of obnoxious kids. I am not happy when people in 'the biz' look at the site and scoff at the snarky remarks. Some of them are the actual actors being insulted. We can always put in criticism, but IMFDB members going forward going to criticize a film, should try to do so in a scholarly manner or not at all. Thanks for your cooperation MoviePropMaster2008 05:51, 4 October 2009 (UTC)

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 11-15-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I just don't usually think of "actors" and "VIPs" as synonymous (since I have friends who are actors, all of whom are hardly "VIPs").