imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Recommend me a pistol (caliber, styles, etc)

This will be my first handgun. I'd use it for practice and home defense, as well as a prop weapon, as I do a lot of short films where handguns wind up being needed (always unloaded).

My budget is around $200. Limiting, I know, but I'll be going to a very large gun show next month and want to know what to look out for.

My original thought was a .22, as they're cheap rounds that I can get a lot of easily and practice with. But, I looked around for others, as, in a self-defense situation, they have little going for them (in that 5-8% chance where a gun is actually fired, rather than just presented, in a self-defense situation). I have been looking into other gauges, and want to keep the price of the ammo in mind so I can shoot it often without spending as much as I might on a more expensive gun.

I'd really like a revolver, if it came down to handgun/revolver.

The Heritage Rough Rider looks good, but that's only really an option in .22, as the bigger rounds just about double in price. I'm not at all opposed to buying used, in fact I'd prefer it.

What about other less mentioned rounds? .25acp, .32, .17, I had really considered a .38 Special, as they're not as expensive as .45s and the kick would be less.

Throw out some ideas. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Try to get something in .380 auto. Much better choice. Say a Ruger would be a good choice.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Don't know if its a good idea to use the same gun for self defense/target practice as the same one you are using for a prop.

If you are looking for a prop get a cheap airsoft toy gun or something.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I was going to say that too. You can get a cheap airsoft for under 50.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM

All the accurate, fully-functional (moving parts) airsoft guns cost as much as a real weapon would. If it's my gun, on private property, and never loaded, I see no problem, but thank you for the responses.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM

.380 auto lol. Try finding it on shelves. Id get a 357 mag, fire 38s out of it for now with the ability to move up in the future.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM

I was just looking up .380 ACP. I guess rounds are hard to find? I read it'll chamber 9mm? Is that wrong?

A 357 MAG will chamber .38 Special?

Can I expect to find any of these rounds in a revolver for under 200 used?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM

200 bucks won't get you anything, honestly, unless you go into a pawn shop and get something beat to shit. If you want a handgun, you'll need between 4-500 bucks to start. 200 will only get you something illegaly on the street where MSRPs and actual prices don't mean shit, and you shouldn't buy illegally, EVER. If you're lucky you can get yourself an old saturday night special but good luck with that.

I suggest you wait and save your money, or just buy an airsoft gun.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Or you could get a Hi-Point 9mm

suggested retail price: $155

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...point_9mm.html
Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Those Hi Points may be ugly as sin, but everyone I've talked to that's used one said they were suprisingly accurate and reliable.

That said, I'd look at getting a used .38 Special revolver - Colt, S&W, Taurus, Charter Arms, they're all decent guns and you might able to find one in good shape for that price. Bear in mind guns age alot better than just about any other consumer good. Just check the timing and lockup before you buy.

Last edited by Nyles; 09-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.