Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Coffee is the best.
I prefer oolong tea myself
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM

I got a bike and $60 in cash for my birthday.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM

I realize something: I don't hate Justin Bieber as a person. I just hate his shitty music and his goddamn fangirls.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I want korea reunited under a southern korea style democracy. I think it could work.
It won't. Take my word for it. And the words of people who have thought about the North Korean nuke issue for years now. As much as I would love to see the Kims gone and Korea re-united as a democracy, it just isn't possible, sadly.

Quote:
In libya, i see no hope. Quadaffi doesnt exactly have nukes either.

What im wondering, is okay, the UN bombs some stuff. What next? Do they even have along term plan?
Here, you have legitimate points. Personally, I see this as similar to the early stages in Afghanistan (when we helped the Northern Alliance kick out the Taliban).

I am not sure if Qaddafi and his supporters would be able to mount the kind of insurgency that the Taliban have been able to sustain since losing Kabul, but it is a possibility and I am very concerned about the endgame in Libya for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to paint the rebels the same as Qaddafi (it isn't as if they were intentionally trying to kidnap the Brits who more or less showed up unannounced when the rebellion had just broken out). As for claiming that they are all Islamists, that's pretty much how Qaddafi has been trying to characterize them, with no real evidence that it is a widespread sentiment.
I'd worry less about Islamism and more about the tribalism of Libyan society (which is the same problem that Iraq has always had). No ideology - whether democracy or Islamism - is going to improve Libya's cohesion as a nation-state if so many Libyans regard their tribal bonds as more important than the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
Perhaps what's most interesting so far about this operation is probably how cynically people (on the internet at least) have been responding to it (compared to Iraq or Kosovo)
While I don't speak for everyone, I think that many Americans are very cynical about trying to change regimes in the Middle East after what has happened in Iraq. While I think it's too pessimistic to say that the Islamic world will never be able to become more democratic, I do think many Americans (myself included) are cynical that it can ever be done through military intervention and regime change alone.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
I realize something: I don't hate Justin Bieber as a person. I just hate his shitty music and his goddamn fangirls.
I hate him as a person, too. I don't know him, but he sounds like the kinda dude I would have hated in high school.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Here are the things that define a Wes Anderson movie:

* It's deadpan humor.

* It's cast has either Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Anjelica Hudson, or all three of them.

* A Rolling Stones song is featured on the soundtrack.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
All women suck to be around 8 days a month (4 days of period, 4 american idol nights.)
If your GF watches "American Idol"...no offense, but you need to raise your standards*.

*Actually, I'm a slight hypocrite; I once watched a season of that show, but only because one of the contestants went to HS with me.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM

I have a question for everyone: What would you do if you had infinite resources (as in you could do whatever the hell you wanted without having to worry about money)

I would take over a small country with my own private army, probably in Africa, and attempt to make it extremely productive in terms of agriculture so that many other countries would rely on my country for food, like with Rhodesia. However, since I would not be pissing off Britain by creating such a country (like Rhodesia did), I would not be crippled by embargoes. Because of this I would, if I end up being under constant attack, I would be able to procure the means necessary to defend myself. I would establish a Foreign Legion type system so that people would show up from all over the world for a second chance in exchange for military service. Every citizen would be required to take basic firearms training/ safety classes and everyone would be given something along the lines of a shotgun or carbine with ammo for defense

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Ive got a strained tricep. Just stretch it out and be lifting like a bawss on wednesday.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Arthurs Hall doesn't exist anymore b/c Arthur took the site and forum down. Fortunately, the other guy in charge created a new forum

http://www.introvertisland.com
Closed Thread