imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 12-25-2009, 12:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ok except with that part.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
sillybunz13

The Way of the Gun was really good with room clearings, reloads, and magazine capacity.

Heat's shootout was amazing though. Advancing ground, suppressive fire, reloading, and also the sounds of the gunshots were ridiculously good.

Terminator 2 was really good with excellent high grips (Linda Hamilton), no flinching during shootings and good reloads (Robert Patrick).
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybunz13 View Post
The Way of the Gun was really good with room clearings, reloads, and magazine capacity.
I'll give you the room clearing and tactical reloads, but magazine capacity? In the final shootout, they were routinely firing dozens of rounds from their 1911s without reloading.

Not to mention that I still think it's pretty ridiculous that they carry so many 1911 mags, but Longbaugh goes into combat with only two mags for his .308 Galil (the one weapon which would have been decisive in the outcome of the gun battle).
Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well the Galil is a rare weapon in this country. Maybe he couldn't get anymore mags for it. He should have brought more ammo. Also maybe they just brought a lot of 1911 mags, and their 1911s were chambered in 9mm. Also, I wonder why they didn't use the USP the black guy had or the ppk or the Browning Hi Power from that other guy?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well the Galil is a rare weapon in this country. Maybe he couldn't get anymore mags for it. He should have brought more ammo.
True, but I think in this case, it was more of a plot device than anything else. If he had been carrying enough Galil mags and .308 ammo to last the entire standoff, he would have pretty much dominated (even without Parker's help). A half-dozen washed-up old men with revolvers and shotguns are not going to be a match for a guy with a Galil and body armor.

Also, I thought it was equally ridiculous that he used the Galil the way he did...spraying the walls on full-auto (or rather, semi-auto with automatic gunfire sound F/X) and hoping to hit Jeffers and the other guy. Considering that he and Parker display such excellent tactical competence for the rest of the movie, you'd think he would know that "spray-and-pray" shooting is a dumb idea.

Quote:
Also maybe they just brought a lot of 1911 mags, and their 1911s were chambered in 9mm.
There's no way anybody could carry as many 1911 mags as they went through (especially for the number of rounds they went through). It would be almost physically impossible. At the very least, we should have seen bandoleers full of 1911 mags draped across their chests, but we didn't.

Quote:
Also, I wonder why they didn't use the USP the black guy had or the ppk or the Browning Hi Power from that other guy?
Because HK sucks and hates them. Sorry, J/K, couldn't resist. That is another good point.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I'll give you the room clearing and tactical reloads, but magazine capacity? In the final shootout, they were routinely firing dozens of rounds from their 1911s without reloading.

Not to mention that I still think it's pretty ridiculous that they carry so many 1911 mags, but Longbaugh goes into combat with only two mags for his .308 Galil (the one weapon which would have been decisive in the outcome of the gun battle).
Every round fired is accounted for and all characters reload when appropriate, with the exception of one sequence in the brothel courtyard where Parker and Longbaugh fire dozens of rounds in rapid succession without pausing to reload: an intentional sort of fun tribute to classic action movies. Plus the 1911s in the movie were 9mm so they would shoot more than a .45 version would.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

Heat's shootout was amazing though. Advancing ground, suppressive fire, reloading, and also the sounds of the gunshots were ridiculously good.

Terminator 2 was really good with excellent high grips (Linda Hamilton), no flinching during shootings and good reloads (Robert Patrick).
I didn't think much of The Way of the Gun when I saw it back in high school. But I rented it a few months back and then bought it on Blu-Ray.

Other than the part where they are firing at the one guy behind the column, magazine capacity is accounted for.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Every round fired is accounted for and all characters reload when appropriate, with the exception of one sequence in the brothel courtyard where Parker and Longbaugh fire dozens of rounds in rapid succession without pausing to reload: an intentional sort of fun tribute to classic action movies.
You got that from IMDB's Trivia section for the movie. Next time, please cite it.

The person who wrote that comment on IMDB took it from the DVD commentary. Although McQuarrie claims that every round fired in the movie is accounted for (except for the courtyard shootout), I personally think he's exaggerating. Characters fire more ammo than their weapons hold in more scenes than just that one (i.e. in the motel shootout, Jeffers fires 25 rounds from his USP without reloading).

Quote:
Plus the 1911s in the movie were 9mm so they would shoot more than a .45 version would.
The Mark IV Series 70 (the type they used) takes a 9-shot magazine, which is not substantially more than the .45 ACP version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I didn't think much of The Way of the Gun when I saw it back in high school. But I rented it a few months back and then bought it on Blu-Ray.
Likewise. I saw it first about 5 years ago and didn't care much for it (thought it ripped off Tarantino too much). But I watched it again recently, and now I have to admit that I enjoy it more than I used to.

That being said, I still don't think it's quite as realistic as some gun guys claim it is (even though the CQB tactics are used quite well).

Last edited by MT2008; 11-22-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
True, but I think in this case, it was more of a plot device than anything else. If he had been carrying enough Galil mags and .308 ammo to last the entire standoff, he would have pretty much dominated (even without Parker's help). A half-dozen washed-up old men with revolvers and shotguns are not going to be a match for a guy with a Galil and body armor.

Also, I thought it was equally ridiculous that he used the Galil the way he did...spraying the walls on full-auto (or rather, semi-auto with automatic gunfire sound F/X) and hoping to hit Jeffers and the other guy. Considering that he and Parker display such excellent tactical competence for the rest of the movie, you'd think he would know that "spray-and-pray" shooting is a dumb idea.

There's no way anybody could carry as many 1911 mags as they went through (especially for the number of rounds they went through). It would be almost physically impossible. At the very least, we should have seen bandoleers full of 1911 mags draped across their chests, but we didn't.

Because HK sucks and hates them. Sorry, J/K, couldn't resist. That is another good point.
I never understood that part when Longbaugh spends 2 mags trying to hit Jeffers. I guess you can say he was laying down suppressing fire. He would have run through all those guys if he would have had additional mags on him. But you're right it was more of a plot device to even the odds. He may have had additional .308 ammo in his vehicle. Who knows. Parker still had his 870 and a large shell bag on him. Which helped them.

In terms of true capacity for their 9mm 1911s. 10 rounds for the gun itself (9 + 1 in chamber). Quad mag holders 4x9 = 36, 46 total rounds apiece. They could have also been carrying some in their pockets. So you're looking at maybe 60 to 70 at the most.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
That joke's kind of gotten old. I now just find it annoying like the "That's what she said" jokes (unless it is coming from Michael Scott).

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series