imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #811  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:17 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 944
Default

The post-72 (top) was made in 75 and purchased by my grandfather that same year. He gifted it to me for my 16th birrthday in 1984. Somehow I have managed to hold onto it over the past thrity-six years. Many years ago ,before my department changed the weapon policy, I qualified with it and carried it for a couple weeks during my first stint as a detective (2003-2006) just for the heck of it. The bottom DS I won in an auction about a month ago. It was manufactured in 1967. I had to purchase the wood grips separately, but they were worth it.


Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 944
Default

I have longed for a Colt 3-5-7 revolver (.357 Magnum) for many years. Colt only made about 15,000 of this particualr model from 53 - 61 and then Colt just added the 357 caliber to the Trooper. I won this 3-5-7 at an estate auction a few days ago. My winning bid was $390 and after I paid the sales tax and auction fee it rounded out to $450. No complaint considering that I would pay between $800-$1,000 for the same specimen in a gun shop. I used to own an early 1960's Trooper in .38 Special and was content with it for awhile, but what I've wanted for many years is a genuine Colt 3-5-7 with the six inch barrel. It appeals to my sense of aesthetic. It took a few years but the search is over. The serial number is in the low 2000 range and the Colt Proof House shows it as a first year gun. The bore is very clean and mechanically it's excellent. Unfortunately the wood target grips didn't come with it, but you can't get everything. I'm very pleased though.





Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:28 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 944
Default

Picked up both the Savage 1907 (mfd 1910) pistol and the Smith & Wesson .32 Safety Hammerless (mfd. 1900) at the same auction for a combined total of $375.00. There was no interest in either handgun so I snagged them. They are both in excellent shape and though their finishes show a little wear we should all hope to look so good at 109 and 119 years of age. I've replaced the spring in the Savage (Wolff springs) and have taken it to the range. It burned through an entire box of 32 auto (10 round magazine) without any hiccups.



Last edited by Jcordell; 08-15-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #814  
Old 08-16-2019, 04:46 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,893
Default

Ok so this Rossi is basically a S&W Model 30 knockoff, and is mechanically in super good shape besides the cylinder being stiff to turn (the more I turn it the more it loosens up so I'm going to give it a little penetrating oil) but a little worn externally. No pitting, good bore, good lockup, insanely tight cylinder gap
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:38 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,507
Default

Nearly 12 years after I sold the Taurus PT92 that I inherited from my grandfather, I now have a new(er) one, which I impulse-bought from a pawn shop today. This one was made probably around 1996-97 (all I know is that the original owner bought it in March 1997, according to the receipt in the box), so it's more than a decade newer than the one I had previously, but still fairly old.

I'll post pics later. First reaction: Nice to have a frame-mounted safety/decocker on a Beretta 92-pattern firearm (unlike my Beretta 92FS Inox); I've always seen this feature as the single biggest advantage that the PT92 has over the 92FS. But...I forgot how hard it is to reach the mag release on the Taurus compared to the Beretta - especially with Hogue grips installed, which is what my gun has.

UPDATE: Found a Taurus forum topic on date coding; mine has "TNB" as the first three letters of the serial identifier. That means it's a 9mm (duh!) made in February 1994.
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.

Last edited by MT2008; 09-21-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 09-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Nearly 12 years after I sold the Taurus PT92 that I inherited from my grandfather, I now have a new(er) one, which I impulse-bought from a pawn shop today. This one was made probably around 1996-97 (all I know is that the original owner bought it in March 1997, according to the receipt in the box), so it's more than a decade newer than the one I had previously, but still fairly old.

I'll post pics later. First reaction: Nice to have a frame-mounted safety/decocker on a Beretta 92-pattern firearm (unlike my Beretta 92FS Inox); I've always seen this feature as the single biggest advantage that the PT92 has over the 92FS. But...I forgot how hard it is to reach the mag release on the Taurus compared to the Beretta - especially with Hogue grips installed, which is what my gun has.

UPDATE: Found a Taurus forum topic on date coding; mine has "TNB" as the first three letters of the serial identifier. That means it's a 9mm (duh!) made in February 1994.
My father owned a Taurus PT92 for several years in the Eighties. He purchased it shortly before it was announced that the Beretta was going to replace the M1911A1. Of course there were no Beretta 92 pistols to be found, but he was able to get hold of the Taurus and even that was a matter of luck and timing. I shot the hell out of that Taurus for a couple of years and never had any issues with it. Eventually dad traded it for something (can't remember what he got) and in 1999 he purchased an actual 92FS that I now own.
I like the Beretta, but the Taurus was a good pistol.
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,893
Default

I've had to really hold myself back from buying one of the Beretta 81's that've popped up recently. I can certainly afford it, I'm just being a miser right now so I can buy a car; in all honesty I could probably go buy a used one outright next week but I want to have extra. THEN I start buying old revolvers and pocket guns like a madman
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 09-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I've had to really hold myself back from buying one of the Beretta 81's that've popped up recently. I can certainly afford it, I'm just being a miser right now so I can buy a car; in all honesty I could probably go buy a used one outright next week but I want to have extra. THEN I start buying old revolvers and pocket guns like a madman
I love gun buying binges. This year I purchased four handguns (three revolvers and one auto) in a four month period. I had the money and my wife kept winning the bidding for them at ridiculously low prices - leaving me more money. I'm tapped out now, but it was a blast.
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 09-27-2019, 10:21 PM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I love gun buying binges. This year I purchased four handguns (three revolvers and one auto) in a four month period. I had the money and my wife kept winning the bidding for them at ridiculously low prices - leaving me more money. I'm tapped out now, but it was a blast.

I've bought 2 since June
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:54 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I've bought 2 since June
Sticking it to Beto.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.