imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 AM

Default What do you think of this?

A video game show built a perfect replica of "The Pit" from the Modern Warfare 2 Campaign. They then got a real operator to run through the course with a live weapon to time how fast he could do it. And meanwhile they have another guy in a tent play the same level with a 360 and time him how long it takes.

Heres a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oB3sd7n7jo
Old 03-25-2010, 01:57 AM

Not a bad showing from an SAS member. Some points to make...A: that's not an MP5 but the magazine is that of a GSG5. B: all SAS members are sniper trained to make headshots from as far away as possible(but few of them are fully acredited Snipers). C: Said Gamerboy should have had the autoaim off.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 AM

They should see how gamers do on the real course.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

First off, this brit is playing on a console, a simulation while this so called SAS is in real life where actual human stamina, and feelings and endurance comes into play. In the game world, there is no endurance, no stress, no sound, nothing to bother the player besides scratching his ass and rubbing his eyes. You don't take fall damage when you jump off, unlike real life where if you jump down from that high up, you'll feel it and you'll slow down.

Also the weapon the SAS guy was using was NOT an MP5, it was a semi-auto GSG5, a .22LR clone of an MP5. The MP5 in the game was the shorter MP5K and it is a full automatic weapon. That's a difference in range, firepower and select fire.

Also, PC gamers of MW2 can beat the Pit in 30 seconds because of the sensitivity of the mouse and keyboard compared to a console controller.

You also have to take into account that in real life, you wouldn't "run" through a course like that by literally running through it like you do in a game. In a game, you don't matter if your tactics is stupid by charging ahead. Shooting on the move in real life drastically affects accuracy, while in the game, shooting on the run has little effect on accuracy.

And seriously, a gamer who beats a course on a game while a real pro does it in real life...no match at all. This little show is stupid and pointless.

And I heard it, Gears of War is not an FPS.

This is all I have to say about this British shit show. Knows nothing about guns and obviously nothing about real combat. Yeah, a sniper doesn't do this kind of shooting. Sure he would have had training in a course like this, but he's a sniper.

I played this exact same match up on my PC. 30.5 seconds using the MP5K and I didn't even reload once. I emptied the entire mag and at the very end of the course, I ran out and drew my USP. I've seen someone do it in 24.5 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HftaNSA3a4

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 03-25-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 AM

30.5 I did it in 35.4 but I was using an M9 and the USP. I got 38 seconds using the ACR M9. Doesn't it seem a little unfair that he was using a .22? And the guy in the console had the unfair advantage of running the level several times before hand. Still GJ to the guy actually running the course.

And Gears of War is a 3rd person isn't it?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 AM

Dang Excaliber,

Personally I have family who are former SAS. While the comparison is shit, the difference in tactics is very clear. Personally I would love to use more RL tactics in videogames but every FPS I have run across is designed to be run and gun not true to life tactical.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well when I was in Airsoft, my team leader was in the British paratrooper. He came to america as an exchange student and decided to take over the Airsoft team.

When I was playing, even though he had formal military training, he taught everyone to not treat Airsoft as a complete simulation of the real thing because our lives arent at stake and this is mostly for fun and competition. Sure we use a lot of military tactics, but they are all modified for the game.

The same can be said about shooters. You aren't getting hurt, tired or stressed out as your character that you are playing would be. You can push the character farther and faster than a real person, putting yourself in harms way and guns blazing. Tactics like that are the key to shooters.

Also 30.5 wasn't my record. I just did the course right away after I saw him use the MP5K and wanted to see how I fair with the same load out. This man on the vid obviously forgot he had a sidearm. He reloaded at least once but I heard him commented that he was reloading again, so twice. He never reloaded any of my weapons when I run the Pit. I just switch to my secondary.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 PM

Excal,
Did you notice that the ex-SAS guy did not reload once durring his run? The GSG5 has a magazine of 22 rounds if i remember the ads. This means that with a round in the chamber and a full magazine he hit every one of his targets with a single shot and was dry at the end of his run through. Thus the former SAS guy scores much higher due to accuracy. Ie, 23 rounds fired versus 60+ to 90 rounds fired.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

There are 23 targets on the course. He should have reloaded at least ONCE. So

Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM

There are a total of 24 targets and one of them you have to melee attack meaning that to get a perfect accuracy score you have to fire a grand total of 23 shots and not miss. In effect the ex SAS guy fired 1/3rd the ammo for the same end results.