imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Default Common, completely overrated guns?

Guns you see are very popular but think are overrated, and wonder why people actually like them, or you like but not to the fanboy status other do:

Ill name a few:

Glock 22:

Lightweight, fires an unpleasant round that makes it kick even harder. I don't understand .40s, .45 is softer shooting and more powerul, and only 9mm guns should be that light IMO. I see tons of people buying them, and even saw a thread where peopel discussed the 300-600 yard accuracy of the G22 for page after page

Hi-Point Handguns:

Some people have tried to make hi points out to be this uber-gun. Ive seen too amny trheads on gun forums of people saying hi points go bang EVERY SINGLE TIME and are rediculously accurate, and say they are just as good as HK/Glock/SIG. The truth is they are potmetal/plastic crap that jam on anything other than fmj and have hard gritty trigegrs and unconfortable grips.

Got more, but lets see what others have to say first:
Old 12-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Overrated? AK-47 and versions, but is not the gun (well, some of them), itīs the ammo. Everybody thinks that the AK rifles are the most deadly killing machine in the world, but, honestly, the 7,62x39 sucks. Also, using this gun as a sniper rifle (like Irak) is not a good idea (for godīs sake, use the Dragunov for that!).
Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 AM

I think most HK's are overated. Anything they can do, FN, Colt, SIG and S&W can do better

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-27-2009, 04:59 AM

HK has a plastic trigger, mag release ON trigger guard and they have horrible business ethics. Imagine how much money they could make if they put aside their hatred of us lowly civilians and made EBRs in their american factories. they just sell the neutered sl-8 and ship it loose in cardboard boxes with no support to keep it from banging around.

Ill add 1911s as overrated (flame suit on.)

I love 1911s, but know so amny people who hype it as 10x better than everything else and how nothing is worth of a 1911. I think their great, nut you need a 2000 dolalr 1911 to reach SIG reliability, and Im not an SAO type of guy. Ill always enjoy shooting them, and will own one (or 2) someday, but whenever someone says a colt 1911 is better than anything on the market I laugh.

Ill second AKs, you already listed the main points, not to mention every noob in the world is convinced they can't jam.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 AM

Dude, have you ever fired a 1911 made by Kimber? They're better than just about all other pistols produced

Old 12-27-2009, 05:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'll admit that 1911s have been overused a lot, but it's popular for a reason. It's a very reliable pistol, good design and has lasted for almost a century. I mean, say what you want about Glocks and Hi point pistols, but there is nothing wrong with 1911s really.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 AM

I think the PPK is pretty overated, as is that new Ruger compact autopistol. Has anyone else noticed the various recalls on these pistols, or am I the only one?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Ill add 1911s as overrated (flame suit on.)
I don't see why you think they're overrated many single stack 45 acp guns have come out over the years and none are a step up from the 1911. They're equal or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I love 1911s, but know so amny people who hype it as 10x better than everything else and how nothing is worth of a 1911. I think their great, nut you need a 2000 dolalr 1911 to reach SIG reliability, and Im not an SAO type of guy. Ill always enjoy shooting them, and will own one (or 2) someday, but whenever someone says a colt 1911 is better than anything on the market I laugh.
A SIG priced 1911 can be just as reliable as a SIG. Front checkering, beveled mag, beavertail safeties and all the other shit people put on them don't make the gun go bang any better than it did before. That stuff makes the person shoot better not the gun. While tightening the slide to frame fit and a match grade barrel will make the gun more accurate that goes for all guns not just 1911s.

Also the 1911 is not my favorite gun, so I'm not trying to preach to you. Just trying to make some points. The Hi-Power is my favorite, despite having one of the worst factory triggers.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 AM

I have fired Kimbers, and they are nothing special, especially seeing how many lemons kimber is letting out lately. gotta give it to them they have good marketing though. They only have a 1 year warranty. On other forums anyone whos dealt with kimber CS has hated it, while springer has a lifetime warranty and whats known to be some of the best customer service in the business.

The best 1911 I shot was a BAER TRS, that thing is sweet, eats cast lead reloads all day, it had a sweeeeeeeet trigger and kicked softer than other 1911s soemohow.

A 1911 is a reliable gun, but not the most reliable. Its feed system is different than many modern pistols, many models are known to be ammo picky and mag picky. Ill take a SIG or other modern pistol to fire hundreds of hollowpoints with no hiccups. Besides, the 1911s or old were known to need serious gunsmithing to digest hollowpoints and had 7-8lb triggers, many were so loosely fitted it couldn't hit crap.

Im biased too, had a couple of 1911s jam when shooting before, never had a SIG do that.

Rant over, love 1911s, but they get too much credit.

A 2,000 springer pro or Wilson/bear/brown is known to eat anything you feed it though, but if i have 800 bucks to spend its better spent on a SIG.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 AM

Really? My father and I used to shoot hollowpoints almost exclusively out of his Kimber Team Match II the only malfunction we encountered was when it wouldn't feed and that was because the slide was off-spec