imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-16-2020, 01:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
If you have to actually ASK, that means you have some sense but of course you'd be attacked for it as a racist bigot and I, an Asian would be called "domesticated" for "standing up for the white man"
I'm offended that they got a Korean guy to play Bruce Lee in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. White people did away with ethnic breakdowns a hundred years ago (except in Boston, apparently), but it's still in place for us. Fifteen years ago, Asians freaked out when they cast Chinese actresses to play geishas in Memoirs of a Geisha, ten years later, they threw together an Oriental smorgasborg for Crazy Rich Asians.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I'm offended that they got a Korean guy to play Bruce Lee in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. White people did away with ethnic breakdowns a hundred years ago (except in Boston, apparently), but it's still in place for us. Fifteen years ago, Asians freaked out when they cast Chinese actresses to play geishas in Memoirs of a Geisha, ten years later, they threw together an Oriental smorgasborg for Crazy Rich Asians.

I'm just offended that they portrayed Bruce fucking Lee the way they did in that movie

Don't forget they got a Korean to play the reboot Sulu.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-17-2020, 03:44 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'm just offended that they portrayed Bruce fucking Lee the way they did in that movie

Don't forget they got a Korean to play the reboot Sulu.
Sulu's at least a fictional character. They couldn't find a Chinese guy to play the Bruce Lee, one of the most beloved and revered Chinese actors of all time? The casting directors were lazy. (They did get the look right though, it was freaky.)
Old 09-18-2020, 03:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Sulu's at least a fictional character. They couldn't find a Chinese guy to play the Bruce Lee, one of the most beloved and revered Chinese actors of all time? The casting directors were lazy. (They did get the look right though, it was freaky.)
Sulu's character is Japanese originally portrayed by a Japanese actor. They just picked a famous "Asian" to play him without giving two shits and don't forget making him gay as a tribute to George Takei being gay despite the man being against the idea. The same as people bitched about Memoirs of a Geisha, fictional Japanese characters played by Chinese actresses and speaking in English because the book was written in English. Modern writers and directors will forgo authenticity and respect in favor of what's easy for today's casual audience.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-22-2020, 05:19 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Looks like Crisis got DC's creative juices flowing. I don't know if either Kilmer is in any shape to return, and Clooney probably wouldn't want to. Nick Cage would probably appear as Superman at a kid's birthday party if the money was right though.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...84ognh9wT6G65g
Old 09-22-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Looks like Crisis got DC's creative juices flowing. I don't know if either Kilmer is in any shape to return, and Clooney probably wouldn't want to. Nick Cage would probably appear as Superman at a kid's birthday party if the money was right though.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...84ognh9wT6G65g
I doubt George Clooney will want to come back due to Batman & Robin very nearly killing Batman in live action. He even advised Affleck that he should pass on the role in Batman v Superman. But in all truthfulness, I think B&R's failure was mostly due to a terrible script and the worst casting of the film IMO was Arnold as Mr. Freeze rather than Clooney.

But what the article speculates about B&R being a separate earth from Batman '89 and Returns is actually true and was confirmed on the Crisis Aftermath (a Talking Dead-ish talk show hosted by Kevin Smith that discussed Crisis) that it takes place on Earth-97. They never mentioned Forever, though.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Personally I though Batman & Robin Forever was just terrible. I notice that it was the end of Joel Schumacher's big movie phase and he went back to doing smaller and critically acclaimed flicks. However I do know that many people made some ridiculous bank from that movie. Clooney has said in the past that it took care of his financial worries.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Personally I though Batman & Robin Forever was just terrible. I notice that it was the end of Joel Schumacher's big movie phase and he went back to doing smaller and critically acclaimed flicks. However I do know that many people made some ridiculous bank from that movie. Clooney has said in the past that it took care of his financial worries.
Clooney also said he keeps a picture of him as Batman on his desk as a reminder to never take a job for the money.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 PM

The thing about Batman is that you're casting two vastly different characters in one and finding an actor that can pull off both is difficult. The only actor that pulled off both convincingly is Kevin Conroy, while the others are almost all good as one but not as good as the other. For example, Keaton was a better Batman than Bruce Wayne while Christian Bale was a great (possibly the best) Bruce Wayne but not quit so a Batman.

Superman, by contrast, is the same exact person in and out of the cape.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-22-2020, 04:54 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Clooney also said he keeps a picture of him as Batman on his desk as a reminder to never take a job for the money.
I have no doubt be believes that.....now, but I bet he cashed the check. Personally I like that he made a boatload of money from the Nespresso commercials (made by the evil Nestle corporation) then claimed that he used the money to help finance a satellite to spy on the Sudanese government. Turns out that while he did put up $700,000 to get the project started a whole lot more came from other sources. Something tells me Clooney made more than $700,000 from Nestle.