imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I think S&Wshooter is set on an M&P.
Oh, yeah, if anyone's set on a particular gun, then yeah, it's worth buying.

I just think that buying an M&P only because it's "new" seems like kind of a bad idea. I'm biased here - I prefer all-metal guns over polymer-framed guns (especially silver ones like the 5906), but that's my opinion.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 AM

I'd get the M&P if were you as it is easier to use and lighter to carry than the 5906. You also get a nice consistent 6.5 pound trigger pull with the M&P as opposed to the 10 pound double action pull on the 5906.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 AM

I like DA/SA, besides, and yes, metal feels solid, plastic feels toyish. M&P grip is comfy though and you can switch between clibers easily.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 AM

I went to Collector's Firearms yesterday and I decided I am going to neither the 5906 OR the M&P

I'm getting this:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=34541

I held it and instantly fell in love

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 AM

559 eh? Nice old Smith. How much are they asking for it? It's only got the decocker on one side, won't that be inconvenient for a lefty like yourself? Old bluing like that is also harder to maintain than a 659 or 5906 made with stainless steel, so it might be better to hold out for a stainless pistol, lest you buy that one and the bluing goes from collector grade to "did they finish this gun with brown?". I've held a 2nd gen before too, and the grips are bearable, but nothing to drool over. Nice gun with character and collector value though, but I can think of a dozen better shooters.

Edit: I saw the price, and 600 bucks seems a bit steep. It's in good condition, and it's an old and fairly rare smith, but I've seen some on GB and over the net go for cheaper than that. I'd try and work out a deal below 600, cause you can get a lot more for that kind of money.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 06-14-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
559 eh? Nice old Smith. How much are they asking for it? It's only got the decocker on one side, won't that be inconvenient for a lefty like yourself? Old bluing like that is also harder to maintain than a 659 or 5906 made with stainless steel, so it might be better to hold out for a stainless pistol, lest you buy that one and the bluing goes from collector grade to "did they finish this gun with brown?". I've held a 2nd gen before too, and the grips are bearable, but nothing to drool over. Nice gun with character and collector value though, but I can think of a dozen better shooters.

Edit: I saw the price, and 600 bucks seems a bit steep. It's in good condition, and it's an old and fairly rare smith, but I've seen some on GB and over the net go for cheaper than that. I'd try and work out a deal below 600, cause you can get a lot more for that kind of money.

It was like $545 at the shop. It was in really good condition, and I take care of my guns, so everything willl be cool

About the decocker- I just about never use them. If I want my Smith to be "safe", there won't be a round in the chamber

Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 AM

There will come a time when you have to set the hammer down, and it's always safer to use the decocker. Being a lefty, it will be a pain in the ass to do this, I tried it with my Smith a few times and it was difficult.

As far as taking care of it, I'm sure you take care of them (I'd hope so), but stainless is just that much easier to take care of. I've always been more worried about my blued/parked guns, but the 5906 was always at the back of the list, cause it didn't care.

All the same, I'd go under 500. There's one on GB right now which would be about 450 after fees, in the same condition, minus the box, but I don't need that. If you can shop around and find a 459, it'll be about half the price too, maybe 3-350 and will give you the same good service, and may even have the ambi decocker. I think it's a cool gun too, but you don't want to get struck by the gun love bug and then regret the decision (you overpaid a bit for that 4506 and I'd be a dick not to advise you on this next purchase).

I just looked on their site and they have a 5906 on there too, with the adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard, for 10 bucks less. As an everyday shooting gun, that will fair better. If you decide against that, I might go for it myself.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=36572
Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
There will come a time when you have to set the hammer down, and it's always safer to use the decocker. Being a lefty, it will be a pain in the ass to do this, I tried it with my Smith a few times and it was difficult.

As far as taking care of it, I'm sure you take care of them (I'd hope so), but stainless is just that much easier to take care of. I've always been more worried about my blued/parked guns, but the 5906 was always at the back of the list, cause it didn't care.

All the same, I'd go under 500. There's one on GB right now which would be about 450 after fees, in the same condition, minus the box, but I don't need that. If you can shop around and find a 459, it'll be about half the price too, maybe 3-350 and will give you the same good service, and may even have the ambi decocker. I think it's a cool gun too, but you don't want to get struck by the gun love bug and then regret the decision (you overpaid a bit for that 4506 and I'd be a dick not to advise you on this next purchase).

I just looked on their site and they have a 5906 on there too, with the adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard, for 10 bucks less. As an everyday shooting gun, that will fair better. If you decide against that, I might go for it myself.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=36572
Too bad I don't know anybody who has an FFL.

I have problems with the squared trigger guard on S&W pistols, mainly because they are smaller than round trigger guards, which are uncomfortable

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 AM

I'm getting tired of stainless guns anyways. I don't even own a non stainless pistol now that I have given my P22 to my brother and my uncle has my High Standard (It's pretty much his, all he has to do now is give me my $500)

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM

I don't recall too clearly, but the trigger guards size looks about the same to me, and if there is a difference, it's the smallest margin imaginable.

All the same I'd shop around a bit more before putting that kind of money into a Smith auto.