imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 AM

Nice video Matty, Reminds me of Joint Operations. When I played it it was a fun game with realistic bullet physics so you had to adjust your sniper scope corectly for the range or learn how to use the mildots.

Man it was fun snipeing the pilots of flying helocopters with a barret.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904

My experience with FPS games based on modern military combat is somewhat limited, but I would suggest the America's Army series (the PC versions; can't speak for the console spin-offs). With the exception of the heavy recruiting material filling the game, it's actually quite realistic; you take a burst from an enemy's AK and you're in a world of hurt, if not dead outright, with no respawn until the round is over (your character can also die from their wounds if not promptly treated by a medic). America's Army 3 seems to be the most realistic thus far as far as weapon performance, once you get past all the glitches. My only complaint with the gun handling in America's Army 3 is how the weapon bobs & weaves all over the place when looking down the sights, like the player's character was intoxicated or something even when in perfect health. The earlier version has a rather impressive weapon assortment, though it's quite starkly limited thus far in the latest version (the U.S. arsenal is limited to the M16A4, M16A4 with M320 grenade launcher, M14A4 Designated Marksman Rifle, M4A1, and M249 SAW, in addition to Frag, Smoke, Stun, and Incendiary grenades). Hope that helps, and happy gaming.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM

A game that i'm trying to get my hands on is VSB1 which is aparently based on OFP. So i'll report back when i get the chance to play it .

Also, Operation Flashpoint: Dragoon Rising is out in the US i believe. Though it probably wouldn't work on my medium end PC, so i probably won't get to play it for a while .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzer View Post
For some people, that's true. Games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 are fine with them. However, there are a considerable amount of people out there who would like to a have a more realistic shooter. Yes, games are there to get you away from real life, but they do that by letting you experience something that you probably never will. For instance, most of us aren't going to be on an Elite Counter-Terrorist team, doesn't mean we wouldn't like to pretend we are in a game. And the realism just makes it more believable and essentially more fun.
I feel the same way. I find realistic shooting game's to be far more interesting. Just personally, i get more easily immersed in a atmosphere of a realistic game. Also, I think you make a good point in saying that even the more realistic shooter's provide something that the player is unlikely to experience in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca1_9904 View Post
My experience with FPS games based on modern military combat is somewhat limited, but I would suggest the America's Army series (the PC versions; can't speak for the console spin-offs). With the exception of the heavy recruiting material filling the game, it's actually quite realistic; you take a burst from an enemy's AK and you're in a world of hurt, if not dead outright, with no respawn until the round is over (your character can also die from their wounds if not promptly treated by a medic). America's Army 3 seems to be the most realistic thus far as far as weapon performance, once you get past all the glitches...
I haven't actually played America's Army before. Sound pretty cool, so I think i'll download it from steam when my download limit recharges.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosut27 View Post
A game that i'm trying to get my hands on is VSB1 which is aparently based on OFP. So i'll report back when i get the chance to play it .

Also, Operation Flashpoint: Dragoon Rising is out in the US i believe. Though it probably wouldn't work on my medium end PC, so i probably won't get to play it for a while .

I feel the same way. I find realistic shooting game's to be far more interesting. Just personally, i get more easily immersed in a atmosphere of a realistic game. Also, I think you make a good point in saying that even the more realistic shooter's provide something that the player is unlikely to experience in real life.

I haven't actually played America's Army before. Sound pretty cool, so I think i'll download it from steam when my download limit recharges.
When you do, let me know what name you pick to play as so I can look you up, and which version of the game you get.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM

I got OFR and love it. Console gaming FTW, its a hard game, most realistic Ive Played.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I got OFR and love it. Console gaming FTW, its a hard game, most realistic Ive Played.
Definitely the most realistic console shooter available at the moment, but the PC version has been getting pretty negative user reviews.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

What's wrong with the PC version?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM

XBOX 360=good single player, sucky online. Literally, lagging, controls not working, i can't reload, change fire rate, people teleport all over the map.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That aside, I'm still pretty hyped for Modern Warfare 2, despite my issues with it like dual wielding, throwing knives and stick simtex on someone. It does seem like a good game and IW hasn't disappoint yet, but I can be wrong, and this ends up being a waste of my money. But I'm the guy who bought FEAR Extraction point and Rainbow Six Vegas 2, so it wouldn't be the first time.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
What's wrong with the PC version?
I have not tried the game myself yet, but apparently a lot of the console limitations have been carried over- the textures are blurry, there's a lot of LOD pop-ins and menus seem to be designed with a gamepad in mind. There's also a lack of dedicated server support that hurts MP and no CD-keys so pirates are rampant.