imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Anyone see that STUPID Red Robin Commercial?

It's a nationwide TV Commercial for the Red Robin Restaurant chain. The guy is at "Buckingham Palace" and he's trying to get the Coldstream Guard to move or say something. But the actor wearing the Palace Guard uniform is carrying an M1 Garand! And it's not even a cherry Garand (which would be the case for ANY honor guard or parade version for U.S. units).

So the sins are (a) an American iconic rifle for a British Regiment
and (b) using a beater Garand instead of a pristine one.

Ugh!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 PM

lol, im such a nerd
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

I enjoy eating at Red Robin, they have good food.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM

Don't actually have them in Winnipeg, but I used to frequent the one near the base in Edmonton during workup training. But yeah, that is kinda silly - could at least have gotten a SMLE.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Don't actually have them in Winnipeg, but I used to frequent the one near the base in Edmonton during workup training. But yeah, that is kinda silly - could at least have gotten a SMLE.
The Coldstream Guards are an ACTIVE duty regiment in the Royal Army, so they would in reality have the latest issued firearm. In the movie Patriot Games, we see Coldstream Guards carrying L85A1 Bullpup rifles with the bayonets attached which is correct. I've only seen SMLEs with historical honor guard units, usually some sort of official celebratory thing. At least they should have an L1A1 SLR if they don't like having a Bullpup L85A1.

I know, we're nerds, but Any American Gun History buff will be irritated that an Iconic US rifle is being used as an honor guard weapon for a British unit and anyone who follows the British military (I do a little) would be offended that a unit of the CROWN would be shown with an American Rifle.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM

I don't think there are any Red Robins in my area. That guard would have beat that guy to a pulp though

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I don't think there are any Red Robins in my area. That guard would have beat that guy to a pulp though
I find it more insulting to the royal guard that he's depicted as dumb enough to say "Yum!" to having "Red Robin" uttered in his face. If he had slipped up like that I imagine he'd be forced to beat or shoot the tourists and label them threats to the royal family.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The Coldstream Guards are an ACTIVE duty regiment in the Royal Army, so they would in reality have the latest issued firearm. In the movie Patriot Games, we see Coldstream Guards carrying L85A1 Bullpup rifles with the bayonets attached which is correct. I've only seen SMLEs with historical honor guard units, usually some sort of official celebratory thing. At least they should have an L1A1 SLR if they don't like having a Bullpup L85A1.
I could lay money it that the Propmaster owned a Garand and just put it in to the commercial instead of using the correct weapon. Just think of the money he saved the producers.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 AM

Twas a stupid commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQMZ1fYZGpA
Old 07-17-2010, 03:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Aren't the guards at the palace allowed to actual talk? I mean, it's a misconception that they are not allowed to move right?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”