imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 12-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Kremlin_Joe

Default Trying to identify a film by its gun

Howdy,

So I remember this film. I think it was a buddy cop flick. The basic plot revolves around a .50 cal submachine gun. They bad guy characters I think were portrayed as Germans or some type of Europeans, hitmen, gangsters, I can't remember. The big reveal in the film is that it turns out that these guns that aren't supposed to exist were hand made by the good guy's own firearms tech as a custom order. There is also a scene where the house our heroes have taken cover in is cut in half and knocked over by the gunfire from these things. That is all I remember from it and I've been trying to remember what it is for years. Has anyone seen anything like that? If so what is the film title?

-KJ
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlin_Joe View Post
.50 cal submachine gun
what? is that possible?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 AM
IMFDB Admin

I think the film you're thinking about is called "Showtime" with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro. The rifle was supposed to fire uranium depleted shells I think.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
I think the film you're thinking about is called "Showtime" with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro. The rifle was supposed to fire uranium depleted shells I think.
Yep, the custom Saiga that reminds my old Lego-made rifles.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
Yeah, I don't remember them calling it a ".50-caliber submachine gun." I haven't seen the movie in years, but if they said something THAT retarded, I would usually remember it.

And as Markost pointed out, the prop weapons themselves were Saiga-12Ks that were heavily modified.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
what? is that possible?
Sure; just .50AE, not BMG. It's not a good idea, but that doesn't seem to stop people.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS View Post
Sure; just .50AE, not BMG. It's not a good idea, but that doesn't seem to stop people.
You CAN have a .50 Action Express Submachine gun since the definition of a SMG is a compact full auto weapon that fires a pistol cartridge. I wonder what an SMG firing the .500 S&W Magnum round would feel like LOL.

Even if it were compact, the mere fact that a .50 BMG round is a full sized LMG round makes it impossible to make it a submachine gun (well from a 'definition standpoint")

Now if someone were to routinely start making .50 BMG handguns it would still not qualify since the cartridge was never designed as a handgun round it's all about the horse and the cart. What was the round designed for?