imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Halo 4?
Hooray!! I'm not the only person who wants this!!

Anyway, who here is excited for Borderlands 2?

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM

falling skies renewed, nice. Now they just gotta renew beavis and butt head

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The title says it all.

(And honestly, I thought the North Dakota economy was better off.)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
The title says it all.

(And honestly, I thought the North Dakota economy was better off.)
People just aren't taking any risks with the movie. Hell, they could have just REMADE Red Dawn in the 80s and make it an alternate history piece. Why modernize it at all. We aren't at cold war with anyone and China is really not our enemies. Sure they can be pretentious sometimes and think they are better than Japan, but they aren't "scary". Homefront at least WORKED on the backstory of North Korea growing into a threat but that game had other problems that sucked.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

It should be noted that the enemy in Homefront was supposed to Red China as well. I can see why a movie studio would want to avoid pissing off the Red Chinese, but why a game studio? Western game consoles are banned in China already.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
It should be noted that the enemy in Homefront was supposed to Red China as well. I can see why a movie studio would want to avoid pissing off the Red Chinese, but why a game studio? Western game consoles are banned in China already.
The problem with a movie studio thinking of distributing to China is pointless. They ban more any movie for stupid reasons anyway.

I think there were a lot of behind the scenes crap about China not being in Homefront. The primary reason which kinda makes sense is China "isn't scary" anymore like the Russians were during the Cold War. In fact, China has never been scary or seen as the enemy of America. Copy cats, piss poor technology and still won't forgive Japan for WWII even though it's been over 70 years and all the people who were alive at the time are dead and buried.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
It's still a substantial market for PC games, IIRC, and if you annoy the PRC government they don't just ban that game, they can ban every game by that publisher. EA apparently had to do some rapid-fire backpedalling over how the PLA was depicted in Command & Conquer Generals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Copy cats, piss poor technology and still won't forgive Japan for WWII even though it's been over 70 years and all the people who were alive at the time are dead and buried.
Japan killed about twice as many Chinese civilians in WW2 as Germany killed Jews during the Holocaust, and Japan has (a) never even tried to apologise and (b) publishes textbooks claiming such charming things as that the Rape of Nanking was "a few deaths." I can see where the Chinese are coming from there. Also, they're not all dead and buried, and many of the ones that are were buried with full military honours rather than dumped into a pit by the side of a road like their victims.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 08-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
... still won't forgive Japan for WWII even though it's been over 70 years and all the people who were alive at the time are dead and buried.
Did you ever ask your grandparents about the Japanese? I heard enough stories from my parents to know why I shouldn't ask. And not just old Chinese folks, it's old Koreans, old Filipinos, old Vietnamese, etc.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I recall hearing that British troops in Singapore were told to shoot female nurses if they couldn't be evacuated in time because that would be better than what the Japanese would do to them. Japan's spent seventy years pretending that it was the victim of the Second World War because of the two atomic bombs, conveniantly forgetting a list of atrocities that only Stalin's purges can compare to.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I recall hearing that British troops in Singapore were told to shoot female nurses if they couldn't be evacuated in time because that would be better than what the Japanese would do to them. Japan's spent seventy years pretending that it was the victim of the Second World War because of the two atomic bombs, conveniantly forgetting a list of atrocities that only Stalin's purges can compare to.
Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better. With survivors and eyewitnesses dying out and conservative elements controlling what young people learn over there, who knows what they'll be learning in Japanese schools in fifty years.