imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-17-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
We actually fielded it? I thought it was just tested during the SAW trials? Or am I wrong?
The XM106. You're correct, we only tested it during the SAW trials. It was beat out by the then-XM249.

----------

I wonder how the Stoner 63 would stack up if it were modernized? In its LMG configuration, it weighs in at just over 11 pounds unloaded (with today's technology, I'm sure the weight could be reduced even more), can feed from either magazines or linked belts with a receiver conversion, and has the rifleman accuracy of the M16 rifle.

Another option would be the KAC Light Machine Gun which, according to their website, comes in at 10 pounds. It's only belt feed, but it's nonetheless a good 8 pounds lighter than the 249.

And of course there's also the Ultimax and the Shrike, but I don't know any specifics about them such as weight and whatnot.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

For me, this is a real support weapon, not that heavy-barreled H&k 416:

Ultimax: 6,8 kg with loaded 100-round magazine and sling

Last edited by Markost; 07-17-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 AM

I say we go with the Shrike. Although I do remember looking at these when they first came out and thinking "Nobody's going to want these".
Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
The XM106. You're correct, we only tested it during the SAW trials. It was beat out by the then-XM249.

----------

I wonder how the Stoner 63 would stack up if it were modernized? In its LMG configuration, it weighs in at just over 11 pounds unloaded (with today's technology, I'm sure the weight could be reduced even more), can feed from either magazines or linked belts with a receiver conversion, and has the rifleman accuracy of the M16 rifle.

Another option would be the KAC Light Machine Gun which, according to their website, comes in at 10 pounds. It's only belt feed, but it's nonetheless a good 8 pounds lighter than the 249.

And of course there's also the Ultimax and the Shrike, but I don't know any specifics about them such as weight and whatnot.

It might come in at 10lbs, but that doesn't stop the fact that it has no stock and is meant to be fired like you're the Governator with a mini-gun...
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
It might come in at 10lbs, but that doesn't stop the fact that it has no stock and is meant to be fired like you're the Governator with a mini-gun...
No, that's the KAC ChainSAW. I'm talking about this:

Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Personally I don't like the Ultimax even though I haven't handled one yet. According to the few Singaporeans I've chatted to about it it's a POS that had feeding issues among other things. According to the US Navy 25% ot the stoppages with the Ultimax they tested was from the magazine simply dropping out of the weapon. Basically it looks cool but it's a POS weapon when it gets down to brass tacks.

As far as the Stoner M63 weapons system from what i have read in I belive it was Small Arms Review, durring the 1980's it was tested in some south East Asian country against more recent weapons and it beat the other weapons at everything but the politics.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
As far as the Stoner M63 weapons system from what i have read in I belive it was Small Arms Review, durring the 1980's it was tested in some south East Asian country against more recent weapons and it beat the other weapons at everything but the politics.
It was also used by the Seals in Vietnam.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Then maybe we should be giving the M63 a bit more attention today. From what I can gather regarding SEALs testing it in SE Asia, the general consensus seemed to be "it's good, but not exactly what we want" (and this is coming from a group that's pretty picky about what they use anyway).

On a side note, it seems like every article I read about the M27 has comments like "just chamber the BAR in 5.56 and be done with it". Why is everyone so intent on bringing that thing back? Frankly, I'd rather carry the HK around. At least it won't burst into flames on me after a single mag...

Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then maybe we should be giving the M63 a bit more attention today. From what I can gather regarding SEALs testing it in SE Asia, the general consensus seemed to be "it's good, but not exactly what we want" (and this is coming from a group that's pretty picky about what they use anyway).
According to my Nam Encyclopedia, the Stoner had some problems with mud and dust, and had to be cleaned all the time to keep it working (remember that they were in the Mekong).
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
King of the Waste's

How is this different from other ar's?