imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
The notion of violent content is not actually true. We rarely have heads exploding or viscera on pages (there are very few pages of real gore). The vast majority of the shots are people FIRING guns. And we don't have any real gory shots on the main page.
You're right, I'll cede that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
The Profanity looks unprofessional. I know that kids LOVE profanity. I can usually tell scripts written by high schoolers in that the profanity is ridiculous. Don't count Tarantino or the Script of Scarface, those are anomalies and rightfully so. It's one of many issues in which there is an AGE gap of what is acceptable. I find the excessive profanity objectionable in that I don't want to be embarrassed when I show the page to others.
Aren't you stereotyping a bit? I'm 19 and my dad (who is 56) swears more than I do. That said, I'll agree that teenagers generally swear the most, but that's only because it's a sign of immaturity, and we all know immaturity isn't limited to the teen years. (Subtle jab at my dad there. Sorry dad!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008
But quoting what ACTORS have said in a MOVIE is just not the same thing. I don't think you should be embarrassed to show your friends what the directors/screenwriters/actors in the movies were comfortable making up.
This is what I was trying to say.

It seems to me that we can all agree that "excessive profanity" is objectionable, we just don't agree on what is "excessive". This being a wiki, why don't we decide by consensus? We could list the quotes deemed potentially objectionable and vote on whether we believe they're appropriate for the main page. AdAstra's post on the first page is a good starting point...

My comments are in blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009
-
'''The Terminator ([[Arnold Schwarzenegger]]):''' Twelve gauge autoloader.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk ([[Dick Miller]]):''' That's Italian. It can go pump, or auto.
'''The Terminator:''' The .45 Long Slide, with laser sighting.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' These are brand new; we just got them in. That's a good gun. Just touch the trigger, the beam comes on and you put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. You can't miss. Anything else?
'''The Terminator:''' Phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' Hey, just what you see, pal.
'''The Terminator:''' Uzi nine millimeter.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' You know your weapons, buddy! Any of these is ideal for home defense. So...which will it be?
'''The Terminator:''' All.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' I may close early today. --''[[The Terminator]]''
-
(too long)
Agreed.
-
'''Eddie ([[Nick Moran]]):''' They're armed.
'''Soap ([[Dexter Fletcher]]):''' What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?
'''Eddie:''' Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit! --''[[Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels]]''
-
profanity
Not excessive, in my opinion.
-
'''Dog ([[Frank Harper]]):''' What the fuck is that?
'''Mickey ([[Ronnie Fox]]):''' It's me Bren Gun.
'''Dog:''' Couldn't you have thought of something more practical? --''[[Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels]]''
-
profanity
Not excessive, in my opinion, but I'm open to the possibility of censoring "fuck". Either way, though, I think the quote should stay, I like it.
-
'''Yuri Orlov ([[Nicolas Cage]]):''' Of all the weapons in the vast Soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9-pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure: No one was lining up to buy their cars. --''[[Lord of War]]''
-
too long
It is long, but it's also a lot easier to read than the quote from The Terminator above because it's a monologue. It's an interesting quote, so I think I should stay.
-
'''Bullet Tooth Tony ([[Vinnie Jones]]):''' So, you are obviously the big dick. The men on the side of ya are your balls. Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls. Now, dicks have drive and clarity of vision, but they are not clever. They smell pussy and they want a piece of the action. And you thought you smelled some good old pussy, and have brought your two little mincey faggot balls along for a good old time. But you've got your parties muddled up. There's no pussy here, just a dose that'll make you wish you were born a woman. Like a prick, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with you. And the fact that you've got '''"Replica"''' written down the side of your guns, and the fact that I've got '''"Desert Eagle point-five-oh"''' written down the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now...fuck off! --''[[Snatch]]''
-
profanity, also too long
It is long, but, like I said above, it's a monologue, so it's still easy to read. I can understand that this amount of profanity is likely to offend people, however, especially when it's taken out of the context of the movie. Censoring it would dilute the meaning too much, so I vote axe this one.
-
'''Alexa "Lex" Woods ([[Sanaa Lathan]]):''' Seven seasons on the ice, and I've never seen a gun save someone's life.
'''Adele Rousseau ([[Agathe De La Boulaye ]]):''' I don't plan on using it.
'''Alexa "Lex" Woods:''' Then why bring it?
'''Adele Rousseau:''' Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. --''[[Alien vs. Predator]]''
-
Awkward quote
It's a good analogy, and I don't consider the mere mention of a condom to be awkward. Keep.
-
'''Mr. Bill Hertz ([[Paul Giamatti]]):''' Come on Smith, guns don't kill people -- but they sure help. --''[[Shoot 'Em Up]]''
-
anti-gun quote
Agreed, and it's not exactly an interesting quote anyway. Delete.
-
'''Mr. Smith ([[Clive Owen]]):''' Aren't guns just ''fucking great'', Hammerson? --''[[Shoot 'Em Up]]''
-
profanity
And anti-gun sentiment. It also doesn't make a lot of sense taken out of context. Delete.
-
'''Hammerson ([[Stephen McHattie]]):''' You know, Hertz, people love guns because America is a land of opportunity where a poor man can become rich and a ''pussy'' can become a tough guy, if he's got a gun in his hand. Now, I'm hopin' you're not just a pussy with a gun in your hand.
'''Mr. Bill Hertz ([[Paul Giamatti]]):''' Oh no sir, no, no I am not. I am a tough guy with a pussy in my hand. --''[[Shoot 'Em Up]]''
-
profanity and portrays gun owners as weak/cowards
Agreed. Delete.
-
'''Korean Thug Kim ([[Walter Wong]]):''' What the fuck is this? We said a machine gun!
'''Tom Ludlow ([[Keanu Reeves]]):''' It ''is'' a machine gun.
'''Korean Boss Kim ([[Ken Choi]]):''' The kind you can carry!
'''Tom Ludlow:''' Couldn't get any of those. This baby's got character. Korean War vintage. Maybe even mowed down one of your grandpapa-sans when he was charging the wire at Inchon. --''[[Street Kings]]''
-
profanity
I'm open to the idea of censoring "fuck", but otherwise I think this quote should stay, it's amusing.
-
'''Nick ([[Aaron Eckhart]]):''' Why didn't you use a silencer, Casey?
'''Casey ([[Thomas Jane]]):''' You wanna go door-to-door and tell everybody my fucking name?!? --''[[Thursday]]''
-
profanity
The quote is only barely related to firearms anyway. I'm neutral on this one.
-
'''Fogell ([[Christopher Mintz-Plasse]]):''' What's it like to have a gun?
'''Officer Michaels ([[Seth Rogen]]) :''' It's like having two cocks. If one of your cocks could kill someone. --''[[Superbad]]''
-
profanity
It's a pretty stupid quote too, but that's just my opinion. Censorship would probably make this entirely nonsensical.
-
'''The Caller ([[Kiefer Sutherland]]):''' You're in this position because you're not telling the truth.
'''Stu Shepard ([[Colin Farrell]]):''' No, I'm in this fucking position because ''you have a gun''! --''[[Phone Booth]]''
-
profanity
This could be censored, I wouldn't miss it if it was deleted because I don't find it to be a particularly interesting or relevant quote. Neutral.
-
'''Mikaela Banes ([[Megan Fox]]):''' I'll drive, you shoot! -- ''[[Transformers]]''
-
lame quote that does not even have to do with guns
Agreed.
-
'''Sheriff Deputy #1:''' Who in the fuck do you think you are?!?
'''Sheriff Deputy #2:''' He thinks he's Rambo.
'''Det. Ray Tango ([[Sylvester Stallone]]):''' Rambo... is a pussy. -- ''[[Tango & Cash]]''
-
profanity, also no relation to firearms
Agreed.
-
If we decide we want to do a vote, it would be a good idea to do it on the quote template's talk page.

Last edited by MattyDienhoff; 12-08-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 AM

I agree, start a vote.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

First of all, the discussion has been going from censoring quotes due to spam, to deleting them due to length. Well and done, but that is a separate discussion. And personally, I do not want to delete the monologue from "Snatch" (admittedly, that's because I'm the one who put it in there).

As for profanity, I see a few that are excessive, but some where it would really just seem wrong if the word were gone. Like the quote from "Street Kings" for instance (again, one that I added).
Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
First of all, the discussion has been going from censoring quotes due to spam, to deleting them due to length. Well and done, but that is a separate discussion. And personally, I do not want to delete the monologue from "Snatch" (admittedly, that's because I'm the one who put it in there).
We need to vote on this. Though you may have a close attachment to that quote, I never thought that quote to be particularly clever. I suppose the entire BS about replicas 'firing' like live guns (in the film) emasculates the quote making it as false as blowing out a car window with a blank. These things are completely subjective. Again, I really don't care if half of a group likes a quote and the other half thinks it's dumb. It's the profanity that's the issue. People are starting to miss the point as to why other people have problems with it. The more and more internationally 'famous' (for lack of a better word) that IMFDB gets and with more and more people using it as a resource for checking film trivia, the more professional I expect it to be. If you're content to have this only be a fun time space for VG playing males between the ages of 14 -35, then the status quo is great. Not having F bombs hitting the viewers on the Main page is what I consider a professional approach. Drilling down into the details, especially when it's really relevant to a page (like the actual screenshot where the quote is spoken) is fine and no one can claim offense.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 12-09-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Alright if we are voting....

my vote is to get rid of the profanity laden quotes.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

My vote is to consider them case-by-case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
If you're content to have this only be a fun time space for VG playing males between the ages of 14 -35, then the status quo is great.
It's not that I don't want this site's fan base to get bigger...it's just that I can't imagine that there are many people besides "VG-playing males" aged 14-35 for whom this site would be appealing. After all, we are a niche site by definition.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to be professional, and maybe there are some quotes on the Main Page that are a bit gratuitous. But I also think we shouldn't get carried away worrying about alienating people who aren't likely to care. That is my opinion, but obviously, if everyone else feels strongly about this, I will defer to majority vote.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
My vote is to consider them case-by-case.
This is the best course of action, I think.

Well, I'll start putting the questionable quotes (whether they're questionable due to length, profanity or simply their topic) onto the quotes template's talk page
and add a space beneath each quote for us to place our votes for or against removing each one. I'll link to the talk page again when I'm done.

EDIT: Done.
Quotes template talk page

Last edited by MattyDienhoff; 12-09-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDienhoff View Post
This is the best course of action, I think.

Well, I'll start putting the questionable quotes (whether they're questionable due to length, profanity or simply their topic) onto the quotes template's talk page
and add a space beneath each quote for us to place our votes for or against removing each one. I'll link to the talk page again when I'm done.

EDIT: Done.
Quotes template talk page
MattyDienhoff, this poll has been up for only a few hours.. That is too early to declare "case by case" the victor.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
MattyDienhoff, this poll has been up for only a few hours.. That is too early to declare "case by case" the victor.
What poll? We've been discussing it, that's not a poll. At any rate, I don't see how else we could go about doing this (besides deciding via consensus which quotes are suitable for the main page).

Last edited by MattyDienhoff; 12-09-2009 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Made less confusing
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I just added a real poll to the topic. Please vote, y'all.