imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default What's with all the obscure communist era Black & White Movies?

There seems to be a love affair with obscure, impossible to get, Black and White East German movies from the 1960s-1970s with some members here. They don't screengrab the movies, and I can't do it, because the movies aren't available anywhere. I can 'maybe" try to track down a PAL VHS copy perhaps in Amazon EU with a lot of effort and $$, but why should I have to? A couple of the East German movies DVD covers I got by searching on the web, the original post didn't have even that.

What's funny is that nearly all of them are WW2 themed movies. So the weapons are no big surprise.

Sorry for the vent, but I'm not impressed with all of the obscure foreign movies being thrown up on IMFDB unless the member goes through the trouble of screengrabbing the film and putting up the Poster/Cover Art. That also goes for more modern, but still obscure to American Audiences movies. Like many members (and most Admins here) we go to the trouble of getting the DVD of the movie to get screengrabs and populate the pages of the movies. Hong Kong Action thrillers are common here, but viewers are much more likely to want to see the guns from THOSE movies, rather than a movie that nearly no one has ever seen (that we can't get here in the U.S.).

I just wish that the new users would learn how to use wiki and format correctly, and don't post obscure foreign films UNLESS they intend to screengrab them and give the page some images to look at.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

I would think that the term IMFDB with is Internet Movie Firearms Database should include all forms of movies just like IMDB. The is a lot of films missing here from the 1920 to 1990 and posters are inputting that information. It's is up to all members to help fill out this missing information to make IMFDB more complete. Whining about it does not help. As for screen captures rental stores do have foreign film sections also our brothers and sisters across the pond may join and fill out those blanks. Screen captures I believe take more time to do correctly than to edit weapon photos with Photoshop. Just relax
Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
I would think that the term IMFDB with is Internet Movie Firearms Database should include all forms of movies just like IMDB. The is a lot of films missing here from the 1920 to 1990 and posters are inputting that information. It's is up to all members to help fill out this missing information to make IMFDB more complete. Whining about it does not help. As for screen captures rental stores do have foreign film sections also our brothers and sisters across the pond may join and fill out those blanks. Screen captures I believe take more time to do correctly than to edit weapon photos with Photoshop. Just relax
I have spoken about the need for us to be culturally sensitive before. By which I mean that we must keep in mind we have users from many different countries who are not always going to immediately grasp how the site works, how the rules work, or even things that seem common sense to Americans - like capitalizing all the words in a title (something that Spanish-speakers don't do). As someone who's rather obsessive-compulsive, I sometimes have to restrain myself with them and remind myself of this.

That being said, I do think it's a little annoying when people start a page for a movie and have either (A.) Very little content (i.e. just a simple list of guns), or (B.) No content whatsoever (I've already deleted quite a few pages that fit this definition). Those kinds of pages aren't really useful and they make the site look unprofessional. It's really preferable that people not start pages for movies or shows unless they intend to be at least somewhat thorough.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

I have just seen links on the firearms them selves which would still be red. I believe that if it is something early they should at least input a synopsis for that movie. I put a movie in but have not finished the screen caps due to time. The film was about French troops in Indochina does that mean it will be deleted also before the screen caps are posted? It has a synopsis and listed the actors and director for the film which is more info than most others as they only have photos.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I have just seen links on the firearms them selves which would still be red. I believe that if it is something early they should at least input a synopsis for that movie. I put a movie in but have not finished the screen caps due to time. The film was about French troops in Indochina does that mean it will be deleted also before the screen caps are posted? It has a synopsis and listed the actors and director for the film which is more info than most others as they only have photos.
Sorry, I had no idea you ever made any movie pages. Also, it's not necessarily JUST the absence of screencaps I mind (I've made a few pages like that), but when it seems obvious that the person spent no effort on the page. Like having no links to the gun pages, no pictures, no info about which character uses the gun in the movie. If you are at least giving the page that level of thought, then that's different.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Screen captures I believe take more time to do correctly than to edit weapon photos with Photoshop. Just relax
Screen captures takes a LOT less time than it takes for someone to photograph and upload original GUN photos. Sure I sometimes take the time to 'clean up' some other poster's photos, but I guess you didn't realize just how many original weapons photos I took on this site from my own inventory/collection or weapons from other armorers/rental houses.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Screen captures takes a LOT less time than it takes for someone to photograph and upload original GUN photos. Sure I sometimes take the time to 'clean up' some other poster's photos, but I guess you didn't realize just how many original weapons photos I took on this site from my own inventory/collection or weapons from other armorers/rental houses.
Taking the photos and editing them does not take mush time. I have been taking photo of the weapons I have done for Ellis, Stembridge, Gibbons, Motion Picture Weapons and Cinema Weaponry for years. Editing them afterward not to show other projects going on. It about 10 minutes per weapon not like killing 30 to 90 minutes per film to get screen captures then re-size them for posting. For someone that talks the talk you can't walk the walk.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

WHOA...hey, come on guys, can we please not fight like this? There's no need for such hostility.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Damn, it's a battle between armorers. But MT is right, everyone needs to chill. Everyone has a different amount of time to do things. Phoenix, if you take gun pics, could you upload any?

And I have to agree with MPM, while we one day hope to have a site as complete as IMDB, we don't want a million blank pages by some joe-schmoe with no intention of adding more info.

While people such as yourself eventually add info, we've been working on here a long time and see 1000s of pages made with 0% effort. It gets really annoying. Also keep in mind, IMDB has been around a really long time, IMFDB has been around like 3 years. And IMDB has 1000s of serious admins. We have like 10. We are taking 1 step forward and 1000 steps back.

Now, if you two are armorers, I'm sure there is more to discuss than to argue about.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Taking the photos and editing them does not take mush time. I have been taking photo of the weapons I have done for Ellis, Stembridge, Gibbons, Motion Picture Weapons and Cinema Weaponry for years. Editing them afterward not to show other projects going on. It about 10 minutes per weapon not like killing 30 to 90 minutes per film to get screen captures then re-size them for posting. For someone that talks the talk you can't walk the walk.
I would be happy to see you post original gun pics such as I have been doing for a long time. And it takes more than 10 minutes to fix a gun pic (anyone who has had to fix a pic, color correct it ... oh and actually takek the photograph knows that). It took a long time for me to edit out the background crap out of that M2 Browning pic I took. I've also done a ton of screengrabs as well so I know well how long it takes to do a film's screengrabs. But as far as walking the walk (as far as IMFDB goes) I am looking forward to seeing more exclusive gun photos from others who have access to the weapons.