imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think in the dream world, when you really are experiencing it fully aware, your mind has to comprehend the world of the dream, create natural laws and rules without turning it into a chaotic hurricane.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

I just saw this tonight on a date. It was an awesome movie, and it got me a girlfriend. The ending is debatable though. Personally I think it was reality. (hopefully that didn't spoil too much)
Old 07-18-2010, 05:51 PM

well you can't die in a dream...so...im not really sure
everyone has there own opinions, maybe it was reality
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm getting a lot of Matrix vibs from this movie, but better because Nolan did it

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
well you can't die in a dream...so...im not really sure
everyone has there own opinions, maybe it was reality
I can't argue my point without using spoilers so I'll leave a warning on this post:

SPOILER WARNING

I think the ending was reality, because at first the top keeps spinning, so naturally everyone assumes he's still in the dream world (the audience in the theater seemed to agree with this, including one guy I heard say "Oh shit." haha) but at the last second of the film, the top begins to quiver, like it's going to fall over. It wouldn't have done this in the dream world.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

I think so too. I think the top was just taking a really long time to spin and stop

Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM

oh...maybe i worded my comment wrong, i said i thought he was in reality, not the dream
but it is a really good way to sum up a movie. of course i expect nothing less from christopher nolan
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
oh...maybe i worded my comment wrong, i said i thought he was in reality, not the dream
but it is a really good way to sum up a movie. of course i expect nothing less from christopher nolan
A few things I didn't understand. The movie was one you really had to pay attention to, and since I was on a date I missed some parts...

Could someone explain:

1: At the beginning of the movie, what did they need to get from Sato's mind?

2: What were they infiltrating Cillian Murphy's mind for, and why did nobody seem to make use of the information once everyone woke up?

3: When Cobb is in limbo trying to find Sato, why is Sato an old man, but Cobb isn't? And why did they both wake up on the plane, wouldn't they have been in limbo for at least a year for Sato to have been so old?

Also, did anybody notice the combination to the safe was mentioned several times? When Cillian Murphy is first told to say the first six letters in his head, he says the combination, and the girl's fake phone number is also the combo.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 PM
IMFDB Admin

EVERYTHING I WRITE HERE IS SPOILER

I can explain the limbo part. Sata "died" and had already been in limbo ahead of Cobb and since time doesn't matter in limbo, decades had already passed by the time Cobb entered limbo and washed up on that beach.

Also it was a 10 hour flight. Remember time doesn't matter in the dream world or is very fast. A 10 hour flight could have been forever in limbo.

We can assume Cobb was trying to get corporate secrets from Sato, but Sato was obviously baiting himself to scout Cobb for his job offer.

Well Cillian Murphy - Robert Fischer, Jr if you remember, they were in his mind to plant an idea and make him think it's his own "Inception" is what it is called. Didn't you watch the movie?

And yes, I also noticed the fake number and the combination is the same. Obviously it was meant to keep Cillian Murphy's character - Robert Fischer, Jr to remember it.

Ok let me get this straight, you forgot about WHY they were in Cillian Murphy's mind but remember that the fake girl's number is the same as the combo for the safe?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
EVERYTHING I WRITE HERE IS SPOILER

I can explain the limbo part. Sata "died" and had already been in limbo ahead of Cobb and since time doesn't matter in limbo, decades had already passed by the time Cobb entered limbo and washed up on that beach.

Also it was a 10 hour flight. Remember time doesn't matter in the dream world or is very fast. A 10 hour flight could have been forever in limbo.

We can assume Cobb was trying to get corporate secrets from Sato, but Sato was obviously baiting himself to scout Cobb for his job offer.

Well Cillian Murphy - Robert Fischer, Jr if you remember, they were in his mind to plant an idea and make him think it's his own "Inception" is what it is called. Didn't you watch the movie?

And yes, I also noticed the fake number and the combination is the same. Obviously it was meant to keep Cillian Murphy's character - Robert Fischer, Jr to remember it.

Ok let me get this straight, you forgot about WHY they were in Cillian Murphy's mind but remember that the fake girl's number is the same as the combo for the safe?
It was a simple as me being too distracted at some parts to catch the main idea, to being able to watch it and be observant in others.