imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Default Linking

I need to link guns to gun pages and the gun pages to have links to my page. How do i do this exactly? I just need this an my page is done.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Take the name of the page, put it on your page, and put it in double brackets.

Now, say you want to change the name of the wrod in blue but have the link be the same.

For example, you want a [[Heckler & Koch USP]] to say Heckler & Koch USP-45, but still be linked to the page.

Write it like this:

[[Heckler & Koch USP|Heckler & Koch USP-45]]. Now it will say Heckler & Koch USP-45, but still be linked to the USP page.

Did I help?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 AM

Thanks, it helped
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 AM

Hey, cool. I wondered that myself.
Thanks GM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Also, when the gun page has multiple entries on it with seperate titles, for instance, the Heckler & Koch MP5 page has the Heckler & Koch MP5K listed farther down, you can link to it like this:

[[Heckler & Koch MP5#Heckler & Koch MP5K|Heckler & Koch MP5K]] and Heckler & Koch MP5K will be all that appears, and it will instantly direct to that section of the page. Us admins. have been modifying the redirects to make it easier so if you simply place [[Heckler & Koch MP5K]] on the page, we have the redirect set up to [[Heckler & Koch MP5#Heckler & Koch MP5K]] so it will instantly redirect to the MP5K section without all that crazy stuff required.

It takes a long time to learn this stuff, lots of trial and error. You guys at least have us to tell you this stuff, most of us had to figure it out and spread the word.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Thanks to your earlier info, I was able to figure out the more complicated thing. Now I can finally link to the XM 177 without having to make the link look like a jungle.

Thanks GM! You're the greatest!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Without sounding like a dick, I would say the best thing you can do is just hit "edit" on another gun page (preferably, one of mine ) and study how the page was put together. Actually, "study" is kind of an exaggeration - I don't think anyone will care if you just copy and paste code from another page and then edit it to suit your own. I do this with my own pages all the time, because it makes life much easier.

Like...if I'm doing a page for a movie that has a Glock 17, the first thing I do is think to myself, "Hmmm, what movie/TV show page had a Glock 17", then I go to that page, copy the exact same code, and paste it into my new page. Then I edit the summary and paste my image links over the ones from the old page, change the image captions, etc., and voila!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Without sounding like a dick, I would say the best thing you can do is just hit "edit" on another gun page (preferably, one of mine ) and study how the page was put together.
But be careful. MT2008 has hidden easter eggs on his page code that will make an animated Marge Simpson dance naked on your desktop and you can't remove it.......