imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Default Suggestion of buying a gun for the first time

Just to clarify before starting....

State: WA
Gender: Male(does it matter to metion this anyway? Oh it might be....)
Weight: 200 lb
Height: 6 ft

I never owned a gun in United States, so i am not very talented in shooting and i don't have a damn good friend who can teach me which gun do i have to buy, so here i come.

I am thinking of buying a gun in WA in a year because i like guns just like your guys, and i call myself "happy trigger" type of person who typically goes to shooting range once in a month just to have some fun, not to find how accurate i am.

I know about guns little. I know AK sucks in terms of accuracy and Colt makes me puke because of making profit by keep using M1911 and M16 design.. But these are typical knowledges that anyone can get in web, so i feel myself not very talented with firearms at all.

So here are the list i am thinking that i mght have to consider when purchasing the firearms.

1. Should be brand-new: i don't want to get stressed because of breakdown
2. Should be rifle: i don't like pistol at all. Crappy accuracy and i am still 20 anyway
3. Both Rifle cartridge and Pistol cartridge is fine: but not .50 BMG or .50 AE. PLEASE
4. Price: < 2000 is okay. I mean Dollars, not Euros

I personally like 7.62 and old style design, so i am thinking about M1A Springfield(there are different versions, but i will go with walnut stock ver.) because it's semi-automaitc 7.62 rifle that i don't have to worry about damn accuracy due to uncontrollable recoil in full auto, and it's PURE CLASSIC.

I am still thinking about M1A right now but i am not sure whether it is the perfect weapon for me(i saw on youtube about how to break down and re-assemble M1A... I think i have to challenge myself with little parts :<), so i'd like to get some advice.

Any advice for newbie who want some?

P.S) Sorry about awkward language skills, i am still learning
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM

A good .22 would be a great start

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM

I saw some people saying that 22 is good start.

I even saw SIG-made cool-looking semi-auto rifle that uses .22 LR. it only cost $800

But still, i like to go with some recoil on my shoulder
Old 08-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Are you going to be hunting?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Are you going to be hunting?
I am good at killing papers, but not real animals

I am not planning to buy hunting license, and this first weapon is not for the hunting purpose.

As i mentioned, i am trigger-happy type of person, not "waiting-for-long-time-for-one-moment-when-you-can-look-in-deer's-eyes-and-pull-the-trigger-with-feeling-that-you're-going-to-hit-that-damn-alive-thing" type of person.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzang1847 View Post
I am good at killing papers, but not real animals

I am not planning to buy hunting license, and this first weapon is not for the hunting purpose.

As i mentioned, i am trigger-happy type of person, not "waiting-for-long-time-for-one-moment-when-you-can-look-in-deer's-eyes-and-pull-the-trigger-with-feeling-that-you're-going-to-hit-that-damn-alive-thing" type of person.
If you are just going to plink, get a .22

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'd say start off with a Ruger 10/22 for starters. It was the first rifle I've ever shot when I joined the pistols and rifles club in college.

The AK doesn't "suck" in terms of accuracy. You fire it in semi auto with practice like on any rifle and you'll hit your target.

The 1911 is a classic gun design, the tried and true handgun. If you don't like the design, that's your thing

The M16 is the military designation, so AR-15 is what it's called in the civilian world. It's also a tried and trusted design. If it didn't work for over 40 years, then it wouldn't make money. You'd be surprise how wonderful both AK and AR-15 rifles are.

But if you are just going out and shooting for kicks, then a .22 is good enough.

If you don't mind the weight of the M1A rifle, then go for it. The 7.62 is a big kicker if you aren't prepared for it. It is pretty simple to take apart. If you have under 2000, then any rifle is in your price range. You need to go to the gun store, handle a bunch of them and see which one feels good in your hands.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Get a Remington 700 in .308 (7.62x51mm), you can't go wrong with one of those. Super great accuracy, very reliable, simple to take apart to clean and smith, and did I mention it's a Remington 700???
Old 08-22-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'd say start off with a Ruger 10/22 for starters. It was the first rifle I've ever shot when I joined the pistols and rifles club in college.

The AK doesn't "suck" in terms of accuracy. You fire it in semi auto with practice like on any rifle and you'll hit your target.

The 1911 is a classic gun design, the tried and true handgun. If you don't like the design, that's your thing

The M16 is the military designation, so AR-15 is what it's called in the civilian world. It's also a tried and trusted design. If it didn't work for over 40 years, then it wouldn't make money. You'd be surprise how wonderful both AK and AR-15 rifles are.

But if you are just going out and shooting for kicks, then a .22 is good enough.

If you don't mind the weight of the M1A rifle, then go for it. The 7.62 is a big kicker if you aren't prepared for it. It is pretty simple to take apart. If you have under 2000, then any rifle is in your price range. You need to go to the gun store, handle a bunch of them and see which one feels good in your hands.

1. I know AK isn't sucks when firing in semi-auto. I meant in full auto
2. I didn't say 1911 design sucks. I mean the Colt never makes something very unique or special other than just making same gun over over again.
3. AR-15 is beautiful. I've used one from my neighbors, and it was awesome. I agree with it.

I think I will have to take the advice of going with 22(i am thinking about Ruger 10/22 since that's one of the most famous semi-auto rifles that uses .22 LR). After some practice from 22, maybe i will go with something little bit more kicker, and so on until 7.62 and even .50 BMG

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

You could get the Smith & Wesson M&P 22. It's in the shape of an AR-15 that fires .22LR. It cost just around 500. I plan to get one to plink around.

And I only said AK in semi auto because it'll be hard for the average person to get a full auto anything

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”