Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Favorite pistol Action?

My idea, best to worse:

1.DA/SA
2.SAO
3.Striker
4.DAO

Not enough experience with revolvers to judge.

I got to say, I see a lot of crap about each action online. 1911 die hards refuse to admit anything is better than SAO and villify the DA/SA. I like the ability to safely carry without a manual safety, its especially good on a LE gun or SD gun. Simpler. Best of both worlds. Some people say that since the first shot is DA you'll miss. People have qualified expert on revolvers for years. Also, if you have time to prepare for a shot you really need to count just thumb the hammer back.

Two, i put SAO. A little more complicated since you need to train with a saftey but still an excellent trigger. I love 1911s. I just don't have enough training to reliably flick a manual safety on the draw, its is way too slow into action for my use.

Striker guns just feel clunky to me,a nd not all that light, fairly long pulls too. Just never warmed up to them.

DAO is somethin some people advocate but I hate them. They'll say "its consistency of trigger"......yeah, consistently bad trigger. DAO pulls are long and heavy, hard to shoot well with. They also usually ahve lots of creep and inconsistency (in my experience.) The SIG DAK trigegr that I ahve the most experience with is fairly light for a DAO (6.5 pounds) but it has a horrible intermediate reset that feels like 10 pounds and makes follow up shots way slower since you need to fully bring trigger forward to get the 6.5.

Last edited by k9870; 12-04-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I understand the appeal of either SAO or DAO, but I personally like SA/DA. I think having the option to choose is nice.

On the other hand, for conceal-carry, then obviously DAO or striker (and preferably the latter) is preferred because you don't want the gun to snag. But some pistol designs are shaped in such a way that this is kind of a difficult goal, hammer or no hammer (like SIG's "SAS" models, which I personally don't like).
Old 12-05-2009, 04:59 PM

^Agree with MT2008.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM

I always liked the squeeze-cocking action of the H&K P7, too bad no one else ever used the action. Although there was suppose to be an Israeli company producing a squeeze-cocking pistol in the late 80s, early 90s, but as far as I know it didn't happen.

David.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:23 AM

Well when k9870 says "action" he means trigger type and not so much the way the gun works or reloads itself. The squeeze cocker is sort of a striker design.

I'm not a fan of DAO triggers for reasons previously stated. I also for the most part agree with k9870s list, though it's more of a draw between SAO and DA/SA. It generally depends on whether you like an initial double action shot without any levers to disengage or whether you like your gun ready to go with a lever keeping it safe from firing from forces other than yourself, as well as no trigger pull difference when firing. It's a tradeoff where both systems have their benefits and drawbacks but it comes down to preference.

As far as revolvers go, it goes DA/SA, DAO, then SAO.

DA/SAs come up top because they give you the option of firing fully semiautomatic, or in a single shot fashion for more precise shots. Most revolvers from the major manufactures have pretty good DA/SA trigger setups too, and if they don't, a trigger job is not hard to have done.

DAO revolvers are better than DAO automatics as DA/SA revolvers are usually used in DA mode, and again, a trigger job can give you a good DAO pull, but you lose the option of SA for precise shots with a short length of pull. This trigger mode is usually just seen on small frame carry type revolvers where a precise shot isn't necessary, so it's not as significant a loss as it is on full size duty pistols.

SAOs are generally harder to load and harder to fire accurately in rapid succession. They were state of the art over 100 years ago, but today they're exhibition guns and not much more.

My preference for revolvers is DA/SA, but for automatics I'm on the edge. I've got a DA/SA and a SAO and I can't honestly tell you what I'd prefer for carry or combat or whatever. I'd probably lean toward a SA cause a safety is kinda nice to have, and I'm not really a fan of double action triggers on handguns, even with DA/SA guns. That might just be cause my 5906 trigger isn't great, but I'd need to try some other guns before I come to a conclusion.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Well, I'm carrying a single-action Browning right now, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't feel more comfortable with one of the Sigs they issue MPs. Single actions are great for the range, but for daily carry I'd rather have something I (and more importantly, the non-shooters around me in a very thin-walled building) can carry loaded and with the hammer down.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 AM

i plan to own several pistols in the future, both da/sa and sao. I may change my mind once ive trained enough with the sao to be confortable with its operation. Ill never like DAO though.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
i plan to own several pistols in the future, both da/sa and sao. I may change my mind once ive trained enough with the sao to be confortable with its operation. Ill never like DAO though.
But that's what you're issued, right?

Last edited by MT2008; 12-07-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:39 AM

Its what you check out of the armory when you go do a boarding, Ill be a BTM eventually. The DAK is much better than the standard DAO trigger. Nothing Id ever spend my own money on though.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 AM

DAO is somethin some people advocate but I hate them. They'll say "its consistency of trigger"......yeah, consistently bad trigger. DAO pulls are long and heavy, hard to shoot well with. They also usually ahve lots of creep and inconsistency (in my experience.) The SIG DAK trigegr that I ahve the most experience with is fairly light for a DAO (6.5 pounds) but it has a horrible intermediate reset that feels like 10 pounds and makes follow up shots way slower since you need to fully bring trigger forward to get the 6.5.[/quote]

Have you ever shot any of the Glocks? They have a very short dao pull and reset as well.