imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I'll redo the format at some point if it's that big of a deal, but I refuse to categorize by firearms class. I hate that form.
Unless you have a TV show broke down into seasons. You'll pretty much have to. Gunman69 and I have most of the first 2 seasons of Miami Vice done and we're at 75 weapons. It me forever just to find the gun I was adding caps to. It looks way better now that it has firearm classes.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

My Unit, Black Lagoon and Stargate SG-1 page has a lot of guns and it took me awhile to reorder them all. I do it for the benefit of people who specifically wonders what handgun or shotgun or rifle is seen, so all they have to do is go to the section marked handgun or rifle and scroll from there, not scroll through the entire page to find one gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Actually I don't like the order by gun method, I was thinking of redoing the screenshots for BL without the subtitles and without any black borders if there were any, and then ordering it by episode, as it looks better and would seem more organized. You also did sub-sub sections instead of just sub-sections with the whole type of gun order, so it doesn't look good juxtaposed with almost any other page.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well that's how I've been doing a lot of my pages. I mean, if the pages have few guns to sort out, less than a dozen, I wouldn't make sub sections for gun types, but to me it seems to work. Also I would have to devote more times to rewatching the series in order to see which weapon appeared first.

Like the Stargate SG1 page. The P90 didn't appear until season 5, so if you list it like that, it'll be way down below, but any fan of the series would want to put the P90 at the top of the list.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM

My only gripe about this whole order by type of gun thing, is that most people don't write anything in the "Handgun", "Assault Rifle" and the like sections. Write something on them.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Actually for anyone who is wondering what guns were used in the show as a general point, NOT organizing by firearms class is a NIGHTMARE. You can't FIND the gun you're looking for without scrolling through tons and tons of pages, and most viewers just give up. Also the obvious duplication of the firearms throughout the seasons makes the page way longer than it has to be. But ridiculously long pages seems to be a point of contention all on it's own.

But if you're curious what firearm was in a specific episode that you just saw on television, then the seasonal thing makes sense. Say, you just saw an episode of CSI: Peoria (why not, they're making spinoffs every few years), and you saw a gang of bank robbers dressed in ballerina tutus and they had a weird submachine gun. Well you know what season it is, or can find out quickly through sites like IMDB or TV.com. Now that you know the season and episode, you can track down the episode and find the gun.

The two styles appeal to different viewers with different needs. However, if you're ONE or the OTHER, you're completely screwed if the page is in the OTHER style.....
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Why can't we have both? Separate the Guns using gun types and separate seasons.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Well the least that Excalibur could do is not order them by sub-sub sections I:E "Handguns" and then labeling all the handguns as sub sections in the "Handguns" sub-section. It doesn't match the other pages and looks like it was done by someone completely different. You can order it by guns for long series, and Black Lagoon isn't that long, which was my only beef as far as the season vs. gun type layout argument was concerned, but don't create a "handguns" or "rifles" section, just put the guns down in type order. It'll be obvious that they are ordered like that, and it looks better. Hell I'm gonna go fix the BL page right now.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Speaking of my Black Lagoon page, someone just messed with it. I had it all ordered under Handguns, shotguns, rifles, and then I look at it now and Handguns and shotgun title are missing

Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Read the post above your post, Han solo's son.