imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM

I agree with the suggestion of restricting anonymous editing. It'll cut down on headaches for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
To be fair, I dunno how many other Wikis are like this, but if they have the kinds of issues we've had, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't at least entertain the thought of making editing for registered users only.
I regularly edit on a lot of video game Wikis (Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty---mainly any one with a lot of guns) and they have their most popular articles locked so that only registered users can edit.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

I tend to lock any page I work on, because it is seriously always messed up eventually. I recently had to fix The Marine because I didn't lock it. They changed the unknown pistol article to say M1911A1, except they knew nothing about the image links, so they put in the wrong image link and the image was removed entirely. I had to undo three good edits just to reach the crappy ones, then sort back through and bring the good edits back.

It's a pain, and I don't have the patience for the trial and error crap. You'd think if they screwed up so bad, they'd preview their work first and not just save the piss-poor changes.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 AM

I think completed articles should just be locked entirely; if someone has something to discuss, they can bring it up on the talk page and the page unlocked if they're onto something, but we're not like Wikipedia here; there aren't suddenly going to be more guns in a movie, so once we've to everything photographed and ID'd, pretty much any edit is going to at best be minor fixes and more likely be either vandalism or adding incorrect information and urban myths.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 AM

Well Vangelis, that would be just too far. What if the Page has been screencapped every gun documented but it is missing descriptions and captions? What then?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Well Vangelis, that would be just too far. What if the Page has been screencapped every gun documented but it is missing descriptions and captions? What then?
Then just semi-protect it as we do now, since it isn't complete yet. But I think a genuinely, totally finished article [ie checked by multiple editors, all captions, spelling and grammar spot-on, pictures clear and of good size, etc] could be locked entirely, since almost any given edit could only reduce how informative it is.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 AM

Well there are some articles i want to edit but it's locked completely.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Well there are some articles i want to edit but it's locked completely.
Like what? Only some really special pages are locked for SysOp only, but as far as I know, none of the public access pages are blocked.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Like what? Only some really special pages are locked for SysOp only, but as far as I know, none of the public access pages are blocked.
Some of the pages which have been targeted repeatedly by vandals have been locked because the MODS don't want to have to UNDO vandalism over and over again. And those pages are usually complete. Now if any member gets their panties up in a bunch over that page, with new or corrected info, they can drop a line to a mod.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Some of the pages which have been targeted repeatedly by vandals have been locked because the MODS don't want to have to UNDO vandalism over and over again. And those pages are usually complete. Now if any member gets their panties up in a bunch over that page, with new or corrected info, they can drop a line to a mod.
I didn't know some pages were Mod only access. I don't mind, being one, I just wasn't aware of them.