imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-01-2014, 05:28 AM

Default My Understanding of the Law Regarding Sawed-Off Shotguns

I just want someone to confirm that I'm basically correct:

In the US, it is legal to shorten the barrel(s) of a shotguns only to a certain point; to shorten it past that point requires you to register the weapon with the BATFE and pay a tax of some sort.

Am I way off or do I have it right?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
I just want someone to confirm that I'm basically correct:

In the US, it is legal to shorten the barrel(s) of a shotguns only to a certain point; to shorten it past that point requires you to register the weapon with the BATFE and pay a tax of some sort.

Am I way off or do I have it right?
If I remember correctly the barrel can't be under 18.5" and the overall length of the shotgun has to be at least 42 inches. I think. I'm going to bed so I don't feel like looking it up. I believe it's actually 18", but I've always been told to stick with 18.5 just to be on the safe side. Don't forget the overall length though. I've seen folks get jammed up because they cut the stock down as well as the barrel. Then it's Federal.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 AM

If it weren't for the dang laws, my Savage Fox Model B would get cut down for the lulz and/or so I could have a sweet Lupara

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

One of the officers I work with has a Remington 870 that he had cut down to 14 inches. For many years it was his entry weapon - he was on SWAT. He had the work done by a professional gunsmith and he had to pay the Federal tax on it. There was a lot of paperwork and it took a few months for him to get the approval. He no longer carries it, but he still owns it - legally. Whatever one's grievances with the Federal government it's better not to screw with the Federal firearms codes.

Those codes have teeth and the Federal prosecutors will file. I've seen a few truely bad people go to prison on Federal firearms violations. In one memorable case the badguy in question had beaten several cases over the years, but he couldn't get out of the Federal firearm case. Now that's been my experience. Others might have a different story to tell. Just FYI.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
One of the officers I work with has a Remington 870 that he had cut down to 14 inches. For many years it was his entry weapon - he was on SWAT. He had the work done by a professional gunsmith and he had to pay the Federal tax on it. There was a lot of paperwork and it took a few months for him to get the approval. He no longer carries it, but he still owns it - legally. Whatever one's grievances with the Federal government it's better not to screw with the Federal firearms codes.

Those codes have teeth and the Federal prosecutors will file. I've seen a few truely bad people go to prison on Federal firearms violations. In one memorable case the badguy in question had beaten several cases over the years, but he couldn't get out of the Federal firearm case. Now that's been my experience. Others might have a different story to tell. Just FYI.
As an Idahoan, I'm surprised you didn't mention the siege at Ruby Ridge, which was set off due to the illegal sale of sawn-off shotguns.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
As an Idahoan, I'm surprised you didn't mention the siege at Ruby Ridge, which was set off due to the illegal sale of sawn-off shotguns.
My father is retired Idaho State Police and was up there. One of the ATF agents who was up there was killed the next year at Waco. Dad says he was a nice guy and evidently an avid hunter and gun guy. What a mess. Many mistakes made on both sides and both sides are guilty of some heavy propaganda.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Speaking of short barrels, the ATF recently made it clear that having the SIG Arm Brace attached to an AR or AK "pistol" and then shouldering it like a stock does NOT change the classification of the firearm into an SBR.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
If I remember correctly the barrel can't be under 18.5" and the overall length of the shotgun has to be at least 42 inches. I think. I'm going to bed so I don't feel like looking it up. I believe it's actually 18", but I've always been told to stick with 18.5 just to be on the safe side. Don't forget the overall length though. I've seen folks get jammed up because they cut the stock down as well as the barrel. Then it's Federal.
42"? Does that mean a Mossberg JIC requires a tax stamp? I'm surprised! Up here a barrel can't be shortened to under 18" or the gun overall to under 26", but if it's manufactured that way it becomes classified the same as a handgun.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
42"? Does that mean a Mossberg JIC requires a tax stamp? I'm surprised! Up here a barrel can't be shortened to under 18" or the gun overall to under 26", but if it's manufactured that way it becomes classified the same as a handgun.
I believe the overall limit is 26".
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I believe the overall limit is 26".
Yep that's right. I just looked it up. See what happens when you don't look stuff up because you're in a hurry to go to bed. Let that be a lesson to everyone here.