imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 AM

Post Kind of a loaded question

If you'll pardon the pun.

Who, in your opinion, makes the best 1911 clones on the market? I mean in terms of reliability and ease of use and maintainance, do you prefer those made by Smith & Wesson, SIG-Sauer, Taurus, Para-Ordnance, or someone else's?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I have an ATI 1911 and after firing over 500 rounds through it...no real problems. My only issue with it is that the rail is not a true 1913 style rail and hence can't attach all kinds of lights and laser systems.

I've heard people complain about the Taurus 1911s, but I've known people who have no problems with them.

I think it really boils down to what do you want your 1911 for? Mine is my home defense handgun alongside my 870. It works.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 AM

My experience with Government Model guns is limited to Colt and Kimber.

Not being a gun snob, I just haven't found one made by another company that I would buy other than those two yet.

Note I said found, I have looked high and low for a Ruger SR-1911.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've "heard" that the SIG 1911s are one of the best combat 1911s ever made.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

I own 6 1911's currently and had 6 others that I traded or sold. A lot of it depends on how much you're willing to spend. The cheaper ones are going to have cheaper parts and cheaper labor, that's given. They will run though. As far as reliability goes don't go any shorter than a 4" barrel.

1911's sold
Para GI Expert
Rock Island GI 38 Super
Smith & Wesson 1911PD Commander
Springfield Loaded
Les Baer Stinger
Para P13

Current
Springfield Mil-Spec Stainless & Mil-Spec 38 Super (customized)
Colt Custom, Government, & Commander all in 38 Super
Les Baer UTC

Good video on 1911's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33OftaiCq_U

I may go into further explanation on all the different ones I have owned but that will be tomorrow.

Last edited by predator20; 02-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Also, forgot to add, Pops, who carried a -1911A1 in Vietnam and a Model 15 in Gulf War I, has a Springfield Operator as his primary EDC/competition gun.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM

I posted a little about this in my other picture post, but I'll go on a little bit here.

I've owned five 1911's over the years. three were Colt, one was a Remington and the one that I currently own is a SAM Inc, known in the States as an ATI Government Model 1911(because American Tactical Imports brings the thing in and sells it domestically).

Simply put, I LOVE this gun. With nearly a thousand rounds through it I have yet to have a single problem. No stove-pipes, no f2f's, no anything. For $405, I'm very impressed with the firearm.

There are a couple things that I do not like about this gun, however.

The first is, like many 1911's I've encountered, it LOVES to be greasy. Maybe it's the parkerized finish, maybe it's just because of the design but this thing, as with all the other 1911's I've owned, it functions best with a lot of oil, compared with my Glock which will run essentially bone dry without issue.

The second thing I dislike about this 1911 is some of the components.

The sights are the low profile 1911 military style with no dots. I like three-dot sights.

The mainspring housing is the larger curved version, which I really like, but it has the lanyard loop on the bottom of it. This means, if you use the flat-bottom mags like I do, you have to be very careful about slamming a new magazine home in it, or you're likely to end up with a tender welt on the pad of your paw.

And finally, the thumb safety switch is pretty severe. Springfield, Colt, Remington, all of them make a nicely rounded and smoothed down thumb safety. It makes for a nice smooth draw without any catching on clothing. The ATI Government 1911 has a very, VERY sharp thumb safety. The first time I drew it out of my inside the belt holster I scratched the buh-jesus out of my flank. The second time, my shirt was tucked in, and it ably cut through the material of said shirt. Until I replace the sights and thumb safety lever, I'll not be carrying this pistol.

For something to just take to the range, keep around the house, or to carry outside the pants, I'm sure anyone would be wildly impressed with this firearm. I'm impressed with the function, thus far, but whiney about a few of the finishing features.

Tags