imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Myths section

I've noticed several times there was talk of adding a 'myths' section on common errors in handling and depiction of firearms. I'm thinking of typing up some of these to add to a category:myth section, so that they could be referenced easily in articles: here's what I have planned so far:

"Bullet knockback" - explaining how the physics of impacts more or less disallow the common sight of people being thrown violently into the air by bullets.

"Silent Silencers" - the fact that the Hollywood 'silencer' bears little resemblance to the noise an actual suppressor would make, supersonic rounds never being silent, etc.

"Clips and magazines" - explaining what a clip and magazine are, and common errors [pistol magazine is a 'clip' from Doom, the confusion arising from the Garand's clip actually being inserted into the weapon, etc].

"Chainguns" - the difference between a chaingun and a rotary or Gatling gun.

"Teflon myths" - the fact that Teflon coated bullets are used only to ease barrel wear and have no effect on the performance of soft body armour, and that the so-called 'cop killer' bullet is an alarmist fantasy.

"Reloading myths" - superfluous racking, slides magically moving to the locked back position when the mag is removed, and when you would actually operate a charging handle or forward assist.

Anyone think of any more?

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-17-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM

Well 1 that I often hear about is that you can build a makeshift gun by putting a bullet into a metal tube and whacking it with a hammer

Of course It wouldn't do much as the "barrel" is not rifled and you can not set off a bullet simply by whacking it...

Another 1 from Macgyver is that you can pull out the slug of a bullet with your bare hands....

Last edited by LoneSniperJim; 08-17-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSniperJim View Post
Well 1 that I often hear about is that you can build a makeshift gun by putting a bullet into a metal tube and whacking it with a hammer

Of course It wouldn't do much as the "barrel" is not rifled and you can not set off a bullet simply by whacking it...

Another 1 from Macgyver is that you can pull out the slug of a bullet with your bare hands....
Well, a wheelie-bag gun works if you drive a punch down the tube and hit the shell lodged in it straight on the primer. But it has no accuraccy since it isn't rifled and slamming at the last moment throws accuraccy further off.

And Mythbusters proved all that Macgyver crap already. He wasted his time pulling six bullets and blowing the lock out. He should have just shot it, since it worked.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The wheelie bag gun works in the Unit

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

It also works on CSI: NY. I've had most of Season 1 saved for almost a month now, but need to finish it all before I upload. Here's some shots.

All threads are more fun with pictures.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Well, that does bring to mind the myth that you could fire a bullet without having a barrel at all [as per Shoot 'Em Up, Volgin in MGS3, etc]; that could be addressed.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well he was struck by lightning and on fire, so the rounds would cook off, but have no velocity or accuraccy at all. Since they were on a crossed belt links, the bullets were right up against him though, so I think that would work like seen.

In Shoot 'Em Up though, that was just ridiculous.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Well he was struck by lightning and on fire, so the rounds would cook off, but have no velocity or accuraccy at all. Since they were on a crossed belt links, the bullets were right up against him though, so I think that would work like seen.

In Shoot 'Em Up though, that was just ridiculous.
Volgin fires them just like in Shoot 'Em Up several times during the game, holding them between his fingers and using his powers to make them cook off. That's why he has those belts of ammo in the first place.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
Volgin fires them just like in Shoot 'Em Up several times during the game, holding them between his fingers and using his powers to make them cook off. That's why he has those belts of ammo in the first place.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My bad. My PS2's been broken for almost a year, and I'm too broke to buy a PS3. One day I will play MGS4!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM

There was a old thread made by MPM that said that he wanted to make a "Myth" Page. I say we do it. Explain all the gun errors in Movies and Videogames. Don't forget Television too.