imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Actually, in south america, USA has a very bad image, due to the "imperialism" (as that ugly fat president that believed Bush was the devil )

Just think that this guy´s wet dream is attacking an US aircraft carrier in the Caribbean... BTW, if you say "USA", they say "FASCIST!, MURDERERS!" (even here, in Argentina...). And don´t forget about that NWO crap, i´m sick of reading about that in spanish forums (conspirations about the 11/S, Iraq and etc)...
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Fuck....I guess i'm just scared shitless of nukes.

I'm scared of nukes like a British college student is scared of guns.

And don't call me "bro". I hate that word.
OK, bruh.

Anyway, if you are scared of nukes the way Brits are scared of guns, then surely you concede that your argument is emotional rather than empirical in nature? Suffice to say, that doesn't lend you much credibility.

On the other hand, naive people being scared of nukes is part of why deterrence theory works. The "nuclear taboo" isn't exactly a bad thing per se - but arguing that nukes need to be non-existent is.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
Actually, in south america, USA has a very bad image, due to the "imperialism" (as that ugly fat president that believed Bush was the devil )

Just think that this guy´s wet dream is attacking an US aircraft carrier in the Caribbean... BTW, if you say "USA", they say "FASCIST!, MURDERERS!" (even here, in Argentina...). And don´t forget about that NWO crap, i´m sick of reading about that in spanish forums (conspirations about the 11/S, Iraq and etc)...
No offense, but...how do people in Argentina deal with the fact that Juan Peron (one of their national heroes) helped ex-Nazis escape Germany and re-settle in his country, whereas the United States helped defeat the fascists? That strikes me as somewhat hypocritical.

And yes, Chavez is a huge fucking moron.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
No offense, but...how do people in Argentina deal with the fact that Juan Peron (one of their national heroes) helped ex-Nazis escape Germany and re-settle in his country,
Well, our country is divided about Perón (i don´t think his an hero, he was just a president). You have those who hate him, those that just approves some of his actions but dissaproves a lot of him (me) and the blind fanatics (as our president, Mrs. K). It´s kinda extrange, because Perón helped jews and nazis to re-settle here, but the "peronist" are the first to attack USA all the time blaming them to be nazis...

Quote:
...whereas the United States helped defeat the fascists? That strikes me as somewhat hypocritical.
Those are the same that called "nazis" to the israelis. Just idiots that don´t know anything about history...

Quote:
And yes, Chavez is a huge fucking moron.
+1. Remeber what he said: "Winds of war are blowing in the region"
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Well, our country is divided about Perón (i don´t think his an hero, he was just a president). You have those who hate him, those that just approves some of his actions but dissaproves a lot of him (me) and the blind fanatics (as our president, Mrs. K). It´s kinda extrange, because Perón helped jews and nazis to re-settle here, but the "peronist" are the first to attack USA all the time blaming them to be nazis...
Hmmm, I see. I had always thought most Argentinians respected him for being so important in the country's development into a regional power, in spite of his authoritarian tendencies. But yes, I do think it would be weird for Peronists to call the U.S. "fascists" while their hero helped actual fascists.

Ah, well, at least your current President is kinda pretty (for her age) even if she is a Peronist. Dunno about nationalizing pensions, though...

Quote:
+1. Remeber what he said: "Winds of war are blowing in the region"
Chavez often doesn't make sense about a lot of stuff. I also still find myself pondering how a leftist finds common cause with the Shi'a clerics of Iran...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm, I see. I had always thought most Argentinians respected him for being so important in the country's development into a regional power, in spite of his authoritarian tendencies.
I highligh the fact that, during his administration, he helped in the development of the nuclear energy in Argentina and the first two jets in the region, the "Pulqui I" and "Pulqui II" (very similar to the MiG-15).

Quote:
Ah, well, at least your current President is kinda pretty (for her age) even if she is a Peronist. Dunno about nationalizing pensions, though...
Neh, she is a puppet of his husband. And the pensions... well, i hated her for doing that.

PD:That was a bit of offtopic, btw...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I highligh the fact that, during his administration, he helped in the development of the nuclear energy in Argentina and the first two jets in the region, the "Pulqui I" and "Pulqui II" (very similar to the MiG-15).

Neh, she is a puppet of his husband. And the pensions... well, i hated her for doing that.

PD:That was a bit of offtopic, btw...
Haha, no worries. Anyway, I guess I do respect that Peron was very good for Argentina from an economic perspective...political, though, not so much.

I always did figure Kirchner was probably working closely with her husband. It's hard for me to imagine she wouldn't be. Though they are part of the same party, anyway.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Here in Brazil most people like the US. The problem is, hating the United States is a goddamm trend. It became cool when W. Bush fucked up by Invanding Iraq. And because like ignorant americans, british and anyone from any other country, they generalize about anything, really. It definatly does not help that some people here in Brazil are actually scared of the US. Just like i am scared of Nukes, they are scared of the US invading us to colonize the Amazon and the rest of the country or some insane shit that's equally ridiculous to that.

And yes, MT2008, it's a emotional issue that i'm scared of nukes. I got shellshocked last year when i saw the effects of a large scale nuclear war during the 1980s between NATO and the Soviet Union would do to the world and humankind. I got shellshocked for 4 or 5 months because of that. No joke. It fucked me up. I started sleeping in class and all that. It was horrible.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
And yes, MT2008, it's a emotional issue that i'm scared of nukes. I got shellshocked last year when i saw the effects of a large scale nuclear war during the 1980s between NATO and the Soviet Union would do to the world and humankind. I got shellshocked for 4 or 5 months because of that. No joke. It fucked me up. I started sleeping in class and all that. It was horrible.
Um, wow, that's taking things a little too seriously.

Those projections of a Fulda Gap invasion are precisely the reason why WWIII never happened. If there hadn't been nukes, there's a better chance that Europe would have become a warzone again, with far more deaths. Nukes made sure that couldn't happen by being so horrible that nobody would ever use them...or take risks that might provoke their use by the other side.

But anyway, it's still ridiculous that you're THAT afraid of them. Personally, I love nukes. I thank God/Allah/science that we have so many of them because it means war between states is more likely to remain limited (if it occurs at all). Nukes have, indirectly, saved more lives than they've taken.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Um, wow, that's taking things a little too seriously.

Those projections of a Fulda Gap invasion are precisely the reason why WWIII never happened. If there hadn't been nukes, there's a better chance that Europe would have become a warzone again, with far more deaths. Nukes made sure that couldn't happen by being so horrible that nobody would ever use them...or take risks that might provoke their use by the other side.

But anyway, it's still ridiculous that you're THAT afraid of them. Personally, I love nukes. I thank God/Allah/science that we have so many of them because it means war between states is more likely to remain limited (if it occurs at all). Nukes have, indirectly, saved more lives than they've taken.
Well. I learned something today. Nukes aren't that bad. Thank you Matt.