imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionatan View Post
I'd personally like to see a main character use something like a Steyr M1A or some other firearm that never gets the spotlight.
Well maybe handguns like that don't get the "spotlight" because they aren't that common/popular in the real world in the first place.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionatan View Post
Still, it would be nice to not have every film featuring firearms constantly use 92s, Glocks, or Sigs. They're all fine weapons (though I dislike the latter), but I'd personally like to see a main character use something like a Steyr M1A or some other firearm that never gets the spotlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Well maybe handguns like that don't get the "spotlight" because they aren't that common/popular in the real world in the first place.
...what AdAstra said. Berettas, Glocks, and SIGs are common in movies because they're also common in real life (although the Beretta isn't as popular with police these days as Hollywood would have us believe). One would expect a detective or agent character in a movie to be using either a Glock or a SIG, whereas nobody in America would expect to see a Steyr M1A (a pistol that was imported to this country only in small #s) being carried by any law enforcement officer.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 PM

I think the Saints made the 92's look pretty damn cool!...and they didnt look too big in their hands either. I'll never own a 92 or really want to but they still are a sweet little design and always a blast to play with once in a while...I can see why the military would want them but i wouldnt spend the cash.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
...what AdAstra said. Berettas, Glocks, and SIGs are common in movies because they're also common in real life (although the Beretta isn't as popular with police these days as Hollywood would have us believe). One would expect a detective or agent character in a movie to be using either a Glock or a SIG, whereas nobody in America would expect to see a Steyr M1A (a pistol that was imported to this country only in small #s) being carried by any law enforcement officer.
Actually, I heard Steyr is going to start importing the M series again

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...d-sa1-pistols/

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
A. Beretta grip is large and unconfortable.
B. Slide mounted safety can accidentally turn on when racking slide (yeah, some of us do that over using slide release.)
C. Bigger than a 9mm should be.
I don't like slide safeties either, but that's why I liked the Taurus PT92 better than the Beretta (as I've said in a bunch of posts on here). However, I'm not sure if you can really activate it when chambering the gun. In my experience, the slide serrations are long enough and the safety unobtrusive enough that this doesn't happen.

As for the size issue, the 92F is a pretty big gun, but it's not like you can't buy more compact variants (the Centurion, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Actually, I heard Steyr is going to start importing the M series again

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...d-sa1-pistols/
Interesting. Though I doubt they'll sell many of them here. At this point, it's pretty much impossible to displace Glock from its current share of the market (LE or civilian). Also, I read a review of the M1 (the original, not the M1A) which complained about the grip angle and circumference. I can't comment myself, of course, because I've never seen nor held one.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-22-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I have big hands, so the 92s fit my hand pretty nice. But a smaller grip is better

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The 92F doesn't really have that big a grip; it's just big length-wise. (When I was an airsofter, my 92F was so large that I couldn't carry it on my waist without the barrel digging into my hip, so I wound up carrying it on my thigh instead. But most law enforcement personnel, for example, don't have that option.)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Even common guns arent seen in movies, look at the XD or M&P, extrememly popular in real life, not so much in movies, then theres the ruger sr9, lcp and lcr, which sell like hotcakes and havent made it to film.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Even common guns arent seen in movies, look at the XD or M&P, extrememly popular in real life, not so much in movies, then theres the ruger sr9, lcp and lcr, which sell like hotcakes and havent made it to film.
You are confusing popularity with law enforcement versus popularity with "common folk". The guns you've listed may be popular with civilian shooters in the U.S., but how many LE agencies issue them? Last I heard, Glock holds over 60% of the U.S. LE market, SIG-Sauer holds about a third, and everyone else is fighting over the remaining 2-3%.

And in case you've forgotten, Hollywood isn't in the habit of making movies about common folk who own guns; most of the time that you see guns in movies, they're being carried by either LE personnel or bad guys.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
The 92F doesn't really have that big a grip; it's just big length-wise. (When I was an airsofter, my 92F was so large that I couldn't carry it on my waist without the barrel digging into my hip, so I wound up carrying it on my thigh instead. But most law enforcement personnel, for example, don't have that option.)
What type of holster were you uisng?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”