imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
What type of holster were you uisng?
Can't remember the brand name anymore, but it was some pretty cheap holster I got from Red Wolf (this was probably about 8 years ago now). I'm not really sure it was the holster, mostly just my physique.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I remember most of my team that had sidearms had drop leg holsters. I had a 1911 type pistol, but I rarely use it. Eventually, I just stopped carrying it because I never get to pull it out and we usually play outdoors.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I remember most of my team that had sidearms had drop leg holsters. I had a 1911 type pistol, but I rarely use it. Eventually, I just stopped carrying it because I never get to pull it out and we usually play outdoors.
Ah, forgot to clarify: It wasn't a drop-leg holster, it was a canvas belt holster. The barrel of the Beretta dug into the side of my hip/thigh whenever I crouched or squatted. I later got a thigh holster instead, which was better, but I still got annoyed at the way the gun bounced around so much (because I had very thin legs back then).

Like you, I eventually decided sidearms were unnecessary for skirmishes. I died too quickly, plus not carrying a sidearm meant I could carry more mags for the M16A2.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Last time I heard Glock was at 40 percent or so. But then even civilain firearms should be showing up in movies about civilians. And then you are still more likely to see a thug in a movie pull a beretta than the hi point or lorcin criminals carry. And Average Joe Citizen will pull a Glock 17 from the nightstand instead of a M&P or XD.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Last time I heard Glock was at 40 percent or so. But then even civilain firearms should be showing up in movies about civilians. And then you are still more likely to see a thug in a movie pull a beretta than the hi point or lorcin criminals carry. And Average Joe Citizen will pull a Glock 17 from the nightstand instead of a M&P or XD.
This is more or less what I meant. I wouldn't expect LE officers in a crime drama or soldiers/Marines in a war film to carry something that isn't commonly issued, but criminals and civilians are a different story. In Heat, Waingro (sp?) carried two Star Megastars, not at all common (though for good reason). In Ronin, the head IRA guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) carried a P22x Sport, not all that common at the time either and still not really common today. I know that even in the criminal/civilian arena, Glocks would still be far more likely to be used, but I could see the main antagonist and/or his enforcer using something "exotic." Gold-plated 1911s and Strayer-Voigt Infinity customs aren't exactly common either but still feature in a number of television shows/films.

And as per a previous poster's comment, it would be nice if Steyr did start exporting the M1A series again. I did have an opportunity to fire one at my local range, and I loved it.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Last time I heard Glock was at 40 percent or so.
Wrong. Big time. Wikipedia says 65% (and yes, I know it's Wikipedia, but the article cites Gun Digest's Glock issue, which I used to own, and I know it has the same number).

Quote:
And then you are still more likely to see a thug in a movie pull a beretta than the hi point or lorcin criminals carry.
You're again thinking too much of the common type of criminal (lowlife gangbangers and drug dealers), as opposed to the Hollywood criminals. Criminals in Hollywood are always rich, hip, and have expensive tastes. That's why you see them carrying stuff like nickel-plated Jericho 941s (which seems to be a very common pistol for the main bad guy in lots of movies lately).

Last edited by MT2008; 11-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM

I read somewhere that the 65% figure was based on number of guns bought, which isn't necessarily number of guns actually carried by LEOs, but I can believe the figure either way. I certainly see police and hear about them with Glock 22s enough to believe so.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Ah, forgot to clarify: It wasn't a drop-leg holster, it was a canvas belt holster. The barrel of the Beretta dug into the side of my hip/thigh whenever I crouched or squatted. I later got a thigh holster instead, which was better, but I still got annoyed at the way the gun bounced around so much (because I had very thin legs back then).

Like you, I eventually decided sidearms were unnecessary for skirmishes. I died too quickly, plus not carrying a sidearm meant I could carry more mags for the M16A2.
I could afford 2 primaries so I can switch around. Running around with an M4 got boring, so I had a HK51. It was built from a fictional Airsoft G3 called the SAS. I gave it a solid stock to store a large battery with a vertical grip and red dot sight. Had a longer inner barrel, so I attached a suppressor to make it look cooler.

I also had a M14 on an EBR chasis. I only had that for a few months before selling it. That thing's heavy.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Its funny that every bad guy in burn notice carries a jericho.

The bad guys/average citizens thing is more for shows like CSI, ncis, etc, where everybody has cliche guns nothing unique.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I could afford 2 primaries so I can switch around. Running around with an M4 got boring, so I had a HK51. It was built from a fictional Airsoft G3 called the SAS. I gave it a solid stock to store a large battery with a vertical grip and red dot sight. Had a longer inner barrel, so I attached a suppressor to make it look cooler.
I also had a TM MP5 (my first AEG ever), which I used pretty frequently. The M16A2 was my favorite, though.