imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Yeah, just think...10 years from now, he might be some gun-hating liberal soccer Dad who drives a hybrid. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Can't remember if I've ever mentioned it before, but I got a tattoo when I was 21. It's two crossed oars with "HOCR 06" underneath - and I regret it now because I'm no longer rowing, so it commemorates something that isn't important to me anymore. But at least mine is on my upper back.

GunMaster, if you get a 1911 tattoo on your upper arm, I think that's a very bad idea. I'm not opposed to tattoos per se, or even gun tattoos, but getting a tattoo that's that big and that visible when wearing short sleeves is dumb. Even if you think a short sleeve shirt will mostly cover it up in plain view, it might still be visible at certain angles. I'd get it on your back instead.

And don't forget...as much as it sucks, we live in a world where people will make character judgments about you based on a gun tattoo. That could affect employment prospects, and also your chances with girls (try bringing one home and showing her that tat - how do you think she'll react?) I hate to encourage you to accept political correctness, and if you still feel brave enough that you can proudly sport a 1911 tat, then that's your choice. But I'd think long and hard about the consequences (if you haven't already).

Good points. I'm never going to get a Tattoo because I really, really, REALLY hate needles.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Yeah, just think...10 years from now, he might be some gun-hating liberal soccer Dad who drives a hybrid. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Can't remember if I've ever mentioned it before, but I got a tattoo when I was 21. It's two crossed oars with "HOCR 06" underneath - and I regret it now because I'm no longer rowing, so it commemorates something that isn't important to me anymore. But at least mine is on my upper back.

GunMaster, if you get a 1911 tattoo on your upper arm, I think that's a very bad idea. I'm not opposed to tattoos per se, or even gun tattoos, but getting a tattoo that's that big and that visible when wearing short sleeves is dumb. Even if you think a short sleeve shirt will mostly cover it up in plain view, it might still be visible at certain angles. I'd get it on your back instead.

And don't forget...as much as it sucks, we live in a world where people will make character judgments about you based on a gun tattoo. That could affect employment prospects, and also your chances with girls (try bringing one home and showing her that tat - how do you think she'll react?) I hate to encourage you to accept political correctness, and if you still feel brave enough that you can proudly sport a 1911 tat, then that's your choice. But I'd think long and hard about the consequences (if you haven't already).
I was thinking I might make it a little smaller and a little higher so short sleeves can hide it. As for what girls will think, I wouldn't be very interested in a girl who'd be quick to judge something like that, I've dealt with that before, I try to find girls who are at the very least tolerant of guns, or indifferent. Otherwise it's a lot of ignorant, annoying attempts to "change" me. I'm pretty modest anyway, and rarely wear short sleeves unless it's too hot not to.

I think I can take the odds. I'll make it hideable for jobs, and if someone sees it and is so quick to judge, fuck em.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Maybe you should get a small 1911 higher up on your arm instead.

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I was thinking I might make it a little smaller and a little higher so short sleeves can hide it.
Almost any tattoo on your arm/shoulder (unless at the very top) is going to be visible when you wear short sleeves, unless you wear really tight sleeves.

Quote:
I'm pretty modest anyway, and rarely wear short sleeves unless it's too hot not to.
You live in New York, right? What if you move South? Then you'll be wearing short sleeves more often (though admittedly, at least the South is a little more firearm-hospitable).

Quote:
As for what girls will think, I wouldn't be very interested in a girl who'd be quick to judge something like that, I've dealt with that before, I try to find girls who are at the very least tolerant of guns, or indifferent. Otherwise it's a lot of ignorant, annoying attempts to "change" me.
There are plenty of girls are OK with guys who shoot guns, and even some who will shoot with you. That's not the issue. Getting a gun inked on yourself is (outside of the military) sending them a major red flag that guns are your life, not just a hobby. Even if that's true, it's not something I would ever want to advertise. I have never told any girl that I shoot before I tell them anything else about myself. And frankly, guns aren't my life, anyway.

And you can complain that it's unfair, and blame it on the liberals for poisoning people's heads with anti-gun propaganda, and whatnot. But the fact is, with women, you need to take their "ignorance" as a given when you make a first impression.

Quote:
I think I can take the odds. I'll make it hideable for jobs, and if someone sees it and is so quick to judge, fuck em.
It's really easy to say that now, but wait until you're in a situation where it actually happens. Maybe you should at least move to Texas or something first.

As I've said already, I'd get this tat on your back, nowhere else. But don't expect me to endorse this, even though I'm sure others on here might. I can almost assure you that, sooner or later, you will regret it (regardless of how you feel about guns in the future).

Last edited by MT2008; 04-29-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Almost any tattoo on your arm/shoulder (unless at the very top) is going to be visible when you wear short sleeves, unless you wear really tight sleeves.
My father has a medium sized lion on his upper arm that people, some which he had known for 15 years after he had got the tattoo, don't see until he shows them. His normal clothing? Short sleeve Polos.

If it isn't gigantic and is high up on the arm, no one will see it. However, I still do not recommend getting a tattoo

Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
My father has a medium sized lion on his upper arm that people, some which he had known for 15 years after he had got the tattoo, don't see until he shows them. His normal clothing? Short sleeve Polos.
I wear polos sometimes. Most of my polo shirts have sleeves that are fairly tight. When I wear other short sleeve T-shirts, I'd expect at least glimpses of a tattoo to be visible.

I guess the other thing to consider is arm thickness. I have pretty skinny arms, so anything I wear isn't going to conform very tightly to them. If your Dad has thicker arms, I'm guessing that the sleeves will wrap around them pretty tightly, so it's unlikely anyone would catch an accidental glimpse of his tat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I still do not recommend getting a tattoo
Well, I'm glad we agree on that much.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I had a skin rash right after I got mine, in addition to the pain from the needle and ink. You might find that you're allergic to stuff in the ink, as I was. Even now, my back still itches in the spring sometimes.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-29-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Wait, you live in New York? Then I'd definitely reconsider. My aunt didn't want me to list my time on the rifle team in college on my resume, for fear that it'd give possible employers the wrong impression, even though it's a legitimate (Olympic) sport and one of my extra-curriculars in college. She might be paranoid, but this is the Northeast, hardly the most gun-friendly area of the country.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
It's really easy to say that now, but wait until you're in a situation where it actually happens. Maybe you should at least move to Texas or something first.
That is some really good advice

Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Wait, you live in New York? Then I'd definitely reconsider. My aunt didn't want me to list my time on the rifle team in college on my resume, for fear that it'd give possible employers the wrong impression, even though it's a legitimate (Olympic) sport and one of my extra-curriculars in college. She might be paranoid, but this is the Northeast, hardly the most gun-friendly area of the country.
Even in the South, I'm still not so sure it would be a good idea. But yes, NY seems like the worst place that anyone could go around with a 1911 tattooed on their body.

GM45, please don't do it. I know my opinion doesn't matter to you, but I think it's a really bad idea.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Even in the South, I'm still not so sure it would be a good idea. But yes, NY seems like the worst place that anyone could go around with a 1911 tattooed on their body.

GM45, please don't do it. I know my opinion doesn't matter to you, but I think it's a really bad idea.
I understand your concern, I'll give it a little more thought.