imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default I (also) want a GLOCK 34. Opinions?

Yes I'm saving up for a Python, but I am doing very well and will probably be able to get a Model 34 by the summer as well. I carry a GLOCK 19 and a GLOCK 26 on duty. While I'm not a GLOCK nut the design has impressed me and I shoot it well. The Model 34 has caught my fancy. I like long barreled "target" oriented handguns. The 34 seems to fit that description fairly well.

Well anyway I don't know anybody with experience with the 34 and I'm wary of the fanboys over on the GLOCK forum. Acolytes scare me.

Probably still going to get one but I'd like to hear from those who have shot and used one. Even if your history is with the Model 35. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Go for it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

A range I used to frequent in Texas had a G34 for rental (a pretty well-used one, too). One of my friends rented it, and I got to fire a few rounds. It seems like a good choice, though personally, I'd rather just have a standard G17 or a G19.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 PM

the longer sight length will help make you more accurate with the pistol and the longer cut slide helps alot with the balance. The trigger is a little hard to get use to because its about two pounds lighter. It is also nice that they extend the mag release but you'll have to be more picky on holsters. Glock actually put a slide release on this model so thats cool. If i was to buy another 9mm it would be the 34.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I like long barreled handguns and I've always been fascinated with longslide pistols. Especially since I first saw The Terminator in high school and Arnold was running around with that longslide 45 and that massive old laser.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I like long barreled handguns and I've always been fascinated with longslide pistols. Especially since I first saw The Terminator in high school and Arnold was running around with that longslide 45 and that massive old laser.
Longslide pistols are nice, but tend to be front-heavy, and this is especially true of polymer-framed pistols. Personally, I'd stick to a metal-framed pistol if you want a longslide.

One thing I can tell you for sure: Don't get a Glock 17L, even though they (usually) sell for cheaper than G34s. That gun is notoriously unbalanced, which is why the G34 was introduced to replace it.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 PM

2 pounds sounds insanely light for a trigger, i personally prefer 4-5 for just about everthing.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 AM

I thought the reason they made the Glock 34 was so it would be short enough for competition shooting, something the 17L was not. Even so, that does mean that the 17L is longer, and therefore has more metal farther out, and therefore would probably be unbalanced.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I thought the reason they made the Glock 34 was so it would be short enough for competition shooting, something the 17L was not. Even so, that does mean that the 17L is longer, and therefore has more metal farther out, and therefore would probably be unbalanced.
IPSC only changed the rules on barrel length/overall length much later. At the time the G17L was introduced, it met their requirements (6" barrel, 8.9" overall length). I'm sure you are right that the G34's length was dictated by the new rules, but my understanding is that it was on the drawing board beforehand, for the reason I mentioned.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well I'll probably still get a G34 and see how I like it. It interests me and I will be getting it just to shoot it/own it. It won't be a duty pistol. That's what my G19 is for. Which by the way I have to say the G19 had impressed me. I was more or less neutral about it, but it's been over four years since my department went to issuing GLOCKS and I have to admit that the 19 has won me over. It's an easy pistol to maintain,operate and it shoots well. Hey what more can you ask of a handgun that you take to work? It's a good tool I guess.

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-23-2010 at 05:22 PM.