imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Chris Kyle murdered by fellow vet

http://abcnews.go.com/US/navy-seal-c...ry?id=18389238

Chris Kyle was murdered, apparently by a Marine vet with PTSD.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 AM

Yeah man, I about flipped out when I heard this. It makes me think a lot about the perception of veterans, both those glorified and ignored, and the effect of celebrity. More evidence to the mental health argument, among others, too.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The suspect could plead not guilty by reason of mental defect/diminished capacity. But has anyone ever successfully argued that PTSD counts as a mental defect/diminished capacity.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

This does not make a good case for guns. The liberal media is going to rip this apart saying both guns and vets are dangerous.

This is a tragic time. Chris Kyle was a good guy.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
This does not make a good case for guns. The liberal media is going to rip this apart saying both guns and vets are dangerous.
I'm no liberal media pundit, but I'd say this incident proves the following things:
  • Guns are not a substitute for, or a good instrument for, psychological therapy. Seriously, what was Chris Kyle thinking about providing loaded and lethal weaponry to people who were emotionally and mentally damaged from their time in the service? Wouldn't it have been far safer and easier just to talk to them and work out their issues with a support group and eventually professionals who are trained in psychotherapy?
  • Guns do not provide defense against other guns--they only provide counter-offense. In other words, guns don't actually protect against the attacks of other guns, they can only kill or maim the hostile users of other guns to the point that they can no longer attack. This is unlike, say, a quarterstaff, which can defend against melee attacks as well as be used for offense. I'm sure that the victims had their own weapons, but that didn't help them once the aggressor seized the surprise factor. Not very different from the various "I thought he was green" shootings in the field resulting in the deaths of military personnel, actually.
  • Once again, "Mr. Colt has made all men equal" (or at least men without ballistic body armour). If the aggressor had tried to take the victims on in hand-to-hand I'm sure he would have been overpowered and subdued.
  • Firing ranges should be more careful as to whom they let in. This is by no means the first among firing range gun murders. I'm interested in seeing whether firing ranges could be made more secure to prevent incidents like these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
This is a tragic time. Chris Kyle was a good guy.
So was Eddie Ray Routh. Up until he pulled the trigger on Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield. Once again, the enemy can be closer than you think.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM

And here's the cherry on top of this whole, sucky situation: I heard from a friend of mine that Jesse Ventura has decided to resume his defamation lawsuit against Kyle and now seeks damages from his family.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
And here's the cherry on top of this whole, sucky situation: I heard from a friend of mine that Jesse Ventura has decided to resume his defamation lawsuit against Kyle and now seeks damages from his family.
Well Jesse Ventura has allways come across as a loudmouth Jerk. Hopefully someone re-aranges his dental work if this is true.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM

Hell, the pussy couldn't take on one critter with a mini-gun and seems to equate Subic Bay with Vietnam. This in addition to equating the NDSM and AFESM with the SEACM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Hopefully someone re-aranges his dental work if this is true.
That's what Kyle actually did, and this defamation suit is the result of it. I believe Ventura was lovingly referred to as "Scuff Head" by Kyle in American Sniper.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 AM

I thought the suit was a result of Ventura claiming said assualt didn't actually happen?