imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Default People who get made fun of for expensive guns.

At ranges and gunshops you hear people bashing another saying "that gun is too expensive your wasting money" or "look at that guy who wasted 2 grand on a pistol." Then you see them with 6 bargain bin rifles and trash scopes or 9 budget handguns. Way more than the cost of one good gun. I say the guy with a few nice guns they really enjoy is smarter than the guy collecting a pile of crap. What do you think? This one has always got me.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM

"Expensive" does not always mean "better"

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I guess it just depends on why you buy guns. If you just want to shoot cans, why spend $2000 when you can spend $200?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 PM

What I mean is, you get somebody who loves hunting. They want a very nice rifle with some personality, so they get a nice custom mauser for 2000. they love it, shoot it well, have great memories and get joy and pride of ownership. Then you have somebody snickering at them for wasting money when they have a pile of cheap junk. I say if somebody has the money and can justify spending it, who gives a damn? Like when I see a guy with w hi points and a charter ams saying a guy with a les baer is stupid. I say they should shut it. Just saying. I cant go to a gun counter without people throwing insults like this left and right.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 PM

Yes it is annoying, but for some reason they all want to stand near my table or ask a ton of stupid questions or tell me what someone they know owns.

When people ask how much my personal ar15 (Recce style) cost and I tell them, they usually cringe. They are the same people that show me their S&W Sigma and wonder why I paid so much more for a Kahr PM9.

Of course I always tell them I like all guns and just want one of each to be fair.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 PM

The way I see it , if you like your gun, shoot it well, and practice with it, and can say why you like it, you're cool in my books. If somebody says "I shoot a glock well, and its reliable, and It fits me." I say more power to them, even if i hate glocks If somebody Says they bought a glock because its super awesome and people who buy anything else are stupid...well they dont get any respect from me.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think that goes with anything. If you can justify your decision, then fine, it's none of my business. If you really prefer buying a $90 Monster HDMI cable over a $3 generic HDMI cable, then fine. I wouldn't do it, but whatever, it's your money.

I see it a lot at the trap range. My Stoeger Condor was only $300, but I shoot as well with it as I would a $1500 Browning. (Or better. I know, I've tried.)
Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 AM

Im willing to bet half the people who bash the expensive guns drive a overpriced luxury car and have HD surround sound and what not. My guns arent expensive, as i cant afford it. But someday I want one really ncie hunting rifle, and a nice custom 1911.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

As expensive gun goes, I would love to get a Desert Eagle. Not as any form of personal protection, but just because it's a FUCKING DESERT EAGLE!

I'd get it with a 10 in barrel, laser, scope and hogue grips.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
At ranges and gunshops you hear people bashing another saying "that gun is too expensive your wasting money" or "look at that guy who wasted 2 grand on a pistol." Then you see them with 6 bargain bin rifles and trash scopes or 9 budget handguns. Way more than the cost of one good gun. I say the guy with a few nice guns they really enjoy is smarter than the guy collecting a pile of crap. What do you think? This one has always got me.
Depends on what the guy needs. I think a guy is wasting his money if he gets an expensive finely crafted and accurate pistol with a lot of COLLECTOR VALUE in the future and he's just gonna throw it in the back of his pickup truck and plink at tin cans on the farm.

As as rule I NEVER make fun of anyone's gun choice. It's called freedom of choice for a reason and there are too many 'armchair commandos' out there who like to mouth off like they know so much. I USED to be like this when I was a kid, but then I was a kid and didn't know squat.

But then I also pick up everything, from High end to low end budget because you'll never know what you'll need and when.....