imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Now all we need is some popular new video game to advertize how "badass" it is so we can hear gamer nerds talk about how their favorite guns are the "Deagle and the Judge", as if they've ever even held one of them. I just shuddered. Being a gamer myself, I know the exact type of people I speak of, so any gamers out their should not take offense, unless they ever used the term "Deagle", then you begin to enter that class I mock so passionately.

I wouldn't mind owning a Judge just to shoot for fun (or try some small game pistol hunting) but I wouldn't carry it in Alaska because I'm to believe I have a badass shotgun revolver that can send people flying and kill bears. It just isn't right.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Oh, come on, I've fired the judge. My Marine buddy bought one of the last ones that are coming out for a while. With the Obama scare, it's hard to get one. The thing packs a pretty good punch, though no shotgun would send a person flying, that's movie myth again.

And how many movies have you seen a Judge in? I've only seen it in the TV series Flashpoint and in the movie Max Payne.

A judge won't send you flying, but it will certainly wound you hard if you get shot by one

And Yournamehere, bashing a gun and mocking my response are 2 different things. Opinions and insights are appreciated debating back and forth, immature comments like the one you did is stupid, but back on topic.

I was looking at a Judge before Max Payne came out and I knew it doesn't blow bathroom stall doors out the way it did. Now the desert eagle is a waste of money.

Personally, I'm just throwing a revolver off the top of my head that my buddy has and seem to love it.

If I want to get a revolver for the fun of it, I'd love to get my hands on a Smith and Wesson Schofield

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 02-27-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Do you ever watch the Oudoor channel on wednesday when they something other than hunting on? They have a commercial advertizing the new 3" Magnum Judge, shows a women draw it from her purse on two muggers. Then it cuts to watermelons and they a disintegrated on impact from the gun, which is very unlikely. A 12 gauge birdshot wouldn't likely blow away a melon. But the .45 Long Colt it also fires would make a noticable hit. A 410 is the smallest shotgun round and definately not an almighty mini shotgun. The .45 Long Colt it fires will likely do a better job of stopping someone since a solid .45 has more impact than a scatter of tiny birdshot (or still tiny "buckshot"). So while the gun looks nice, the .45 Long Colt is a better bet as far as I'm concerned.

I've always wanted a nice Schofield to shoot. I reccomend something other than Uberti though if you buy one. Ubertis look beautiful but are usually expensive and easily damaged do to lighter metals. So if you want a pretty one to play with, an Uberti works, but if you want a serious gun to shoot, find a better company. 3:10 to Yuma did an excellent job of making them look awesome, with a little help from Ben Foster's great gun handling do to Thell Reed's gun training. Uberti recently released a shorter model in .45 Long Colt, which saved the original ammo problem.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

No i dont watch the outdoor channel. I look at spects of a gun, watch real footage of it being shot to judge and then, if i can, go find one and handle it. That's how I roll

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

I'm working off those first two steps and will try to shoot one at some point. If necessary, I could even make a video showing right away that it doesn't destroy melons, and use the commericial as a comparison.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
bashing a gun and mocking my response are 2 different things. Opinions and insights are appreciated debating back and forth, immature comments like the one you did is stupid, but back on topic.
I as well as other members would disagree. Twas funny.

As far as the blowing up of melons is concerned, a few of my friends and I attempted to do this with a specific brand of firecracker that was shown on the news blowing up a watermelon in a demonstration as well. We all went to a clear space in the park, and stuck one in. The single firecracker barely cracked the thing. We then stuck several in there, it failed to kill the watermelon as well. So, having no other options, we did what anyone else would do, and that's bash it with a hammer until it was reduced to a melony pulp like it should have been with the firecracker. I don't know why, but the people on the TV like to kill watermelons with stuff, whether or not they are truthfully illustrating the murder weapon is capable of doing so. Can't blame 'em, it's fun.

I like the Shcofield too, but I just wanna try any top break, like a Webley. I always found the automatic ejection to be a plus, though I couldn't get one to open a while back. Oh well. As far as revolvers go I'll just have to settle with my Model 19. Poor me.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm skeptical about Taurus revolvers based on my experience with them. My grandfather owns an older-model Taurus 850 stainless which he bought for conceal carry, and I don't like it even though he seems to. Usually, I can gauge the quality of a weapon just by holding it, and handling the 850 SS, it felt like a cheap piece of crap that I wouldn't trust my life with.

Dunno about the Judge (never handled one before), but if it's put together as poorly as the 850, I'd advise against it.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 AM

Yeah Taurus is a clone company, and their merchandise isn't always quality, and for the same price as any one of their revolvers, you can buy a good ol' American Smith or, for a few dollars more, a Colt. But, again, I stress this a lot, Smith & Wesson all the way, baby.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Yeah Taurus is a clone company, and their merchandise isn't always quality, and for the same price as any one of their revolvers, you can buy a good ol' American Smith or, for a few dollars more, a Colt. But, again, I stress this a lot, Smith & Wesson all the way, baby.
Eh, they're hit-or-miss. I have often praised the PT92 (which I used to own), though mostly for ergonomic reasons. But their revolvers, at least the ones I've handled, don't seem as good to me.

I've only fired a single S&W revolver, which I think was a Model 19 that belonged to somebody at my Dad's range (until recently, I didn't know jack shit about S&W revolvers, so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head for sure).
Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 AM

The PT92 and the PT1911 are probably their only decent products. The former is just an improvement on the original Beretta 92 and the PT1911 is just a budget higher grade 1911 built with an Imbel frame, which is dumb cause you can just buy a Springer Loaded. Still, Smith makes good autos and 1911s too, and in America, so Taurus pales in comparison.