imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

Default Category:Delete

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Categoryelete

So how does this process work anyway? The Categoryelete page doesn't bump to the main page whenever it's updated, so it has to be manually checked every once in awhile. The last time around it was cleaned out, pages that weren't deleted were left on the page, which implies that a mod looked at them, decided not to delete them, but left the delete tags on the pages.

One page in particular...

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Einhander

...I thought was a shoe-in for instantaneous nukification. It's a video game, it's about giant robots, all of the weapons are giant robot attachments, none of them are based on anything real. I called it out on its discussion page, and it was again ignored. I found this to be odd considering the last page I called out in discussion before that was deleted almost instantly (I can't remember what it was, I think it was a video game mod).

So how does this here deletification thing-a-ma-bob work anywho?

EDIT: And can somebody fix the smileys so that they don't show up in the middle of normal text?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
The last time around it was cleaned out, pages that weren't deleted were left on the page, which implies that a mod looked at them, decided not to delete them, but left the delete tags on the pages.
No we don't bother looking at everything. We hear things, whispers in the wind, rumors and legends, that someone, somewhere will bring the page up to spec, so we wait ... and watch ... sharpening our knives .... waiting for the eventual do or die day......

Just because some member determined that it was delete worthy, doesn't make it so. We make a note, ask around and see if anyone is willing to finish the page. I don't usually touch VG pages because (a) I don't play them and (b) I don't know jack sh*t about them. I'd rather remove the entire category (the only reason why we have so many 12-14 yr olds on the site is because of the VG category ) but that's just me. I leave it to other who care enough about VGs to deal with .....
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
No we don't bother looking at everything. We hear things, whispers in the wind, rumors and legends, that someone, somewhere will bring the page up to spec, so we wait ... and watch ... sharpening our knives .... waiting for the eventual do or die day......

Just because some member determined that it was delete worthy, doesn't make it so. We make a note, ask around and see if anyone is willing to finish the page. I don't usually touch VG pages because (a) I don't play them and (b) I don't know jack sh*t about them. I'd rather remove the entire category (the only reason why we have so many 12-14 yr olds on the site is because of the VG category ) but that's just me. I leave it to other who care enough about VGs to deal with .....
How is it determined what gets the ax and what is given a second chance? Who's final decision is it? How much discussion actually goes into it? Can we drop the pretense of "speedy" deletion? This process isn't very speedy at all.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
How is it determined what gets the ax and what is given a second chance? Who's final decision is it? How much discussion actually goes into it? Can we drop the pretense of "speedy" deletion? This process isn't very speedy at all.
There was about 65 pages with noeffort or nuke tag, I took it down to about 30. (There is now only 20) I deleted about 15 to 20 pages that had been around a while and not much effort had been done. A few were noeffort tagged but had detailed descriptions, they were just missing screencaps. The noeffort tag reads.

"This article is a candidate for deletion. IMFDB expects certain minimal standards from articles; even if a contributor cannot take their own screenshots, it is still possible to create detailed per-weapon writeups and format an article correctly. Simply dumping a couple of weapon names on a page is essentially demanding we do all the work for you, and this is unacceptable."

So they were tagged incomplete.

There was also around 5 or 6 pages that were tagged nuke for being a documentary. Even though they aren't allowed anymore. They were made before the rule was enforced. If were going to allow Mail Call, a show that tells you what the weapon is, I think Mythbusters and other documentaries merit a page more than Mail Call.

Another thing Burt, many pages get deleted before it even has a tag.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

We frequently delete pages. But it seems that as fast as we can delete them two take their place. Plus I try to give some pages a chance. Sometimes the pages are developed more fully. For example most of the Saw franchise pages look like they need to go. But the first Saw page has been worked on so are the sequels going to follow? It isn't as easy as it might seem. In the past I've made the mistake of jumping the gun and the pages end up being restored. Just because one has the authority to delete does not mean one can use it without discretion.

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-20-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
We frequently delete pages. But it seems that as fast as we can delete them two take their place. Plus I try to give some pages a chance. Sometimes the pages are developed more fully. For example most of the SAW pages look like they need to go. But the first one has been worked on so are the sequels going to follow? It isn't as easy as it might seem. In the past I've made the mistake of jumping the gun and the pages end up being restored. Just becasue one has the authority to delete does not mean one can use it without discretion.
Those SAW pages, I was tempted to delete. They do have some weapon descriptions, but lack stock gun pics. A little effort has been done but not much.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Banned

Would it be possible to have placeholder pages for titles that are deemed wholly ineligible to prevent them from being remade?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Would it be possible to have placeholder pages for titles that are deemed wholly ineligible to prevent them from being remade?
what's stuck in your craw BRM? Any title can be remade if done correctly. Your solution would prevent even THAT!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
what's stuck in your craw BRM? Any title can be remade if done correctly. Your solution would prevent even THAT!
Nothing, Checkman brought it up in the first place. A good example of a candidate would be Family Guy. How many problems did that page cause? Einhander, as I've already stated, also appears (to me) to be a title that is completely ineligible for a page.