imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

Exclamation Proposed new moratorium on new sub-categories,etc.

Though new members figure out all sorts of new 'sub-categories' all the time, IMFDB risks turning into a leviathan "IRS Tax code" type of cross connected wiki (with many incomplete movie, tv, etc. pages). I propose a moratorium on new 'sub-categories' unless approved by the mods. Thoughts?

I wish members would spend MORE time fixing or completing pages rather than adding more and more layers of sub-categories. We spend a lot of time pointing out that this is NOT IMDB, and we don't want tons of cinema related information that has nothing to do with the firearms or weapons in the pages. (A little is okay (like trivia, etc.), but don't start making links or filmographies like IMDB, because it starts making us LIKE IMDB) Not that it is not cool, but once you open that 'barn door' then it will takes YEARS for all pages to be complete when you add the 'required information' per page.

ALSO, We've reiterated this many times, NO PAGE is better than a lame or wrong page, but people keep on making new 'barely done' pages (and I keep on deleting them). Seriously, if you can't screencap, LEARN! It's easy and free. Stupid or lame pages bring down the overall professionalism of IMFDB, something which many members (and mods) have worked really hard for years to achieve.

Sorry if this seems harsh. Also, 80% of the pages I've worked on myself .. I didn't create. I saw an incomplete page ... and finished it. What is with everyone being so territorial that they have to ONLY create new (and obscure) titles of their own, and won't help out existing pages that need help (and many times they just mess with pages that DON'T need help). Look for a page that is really bare ... and populate it per the site rules. What's so hard about that?

Well, that's it for my rant Thoughts? Input?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 AM

I agree with where you are going. I also think we should delete all pages(besides gun/actor pages) that do not have any screen caps. That is what it seems all the incomplete/crappy/lame pages have in common -no screencaps
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I agree with where you are going. I also think we should delete all pages(besides gun/actor pages) that do not have any screen caps. That is what it seems all the incomplete/crappy/lame pages have in common -no screencaps
I agree to a point. There are some really comprehensive pages, but they lack screencaps for some reason. I think the criteria should be a page by page basis.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I agree to a point. There are some really comprehensive pages, but they lack screencaps for some reason. I think the criteria should be a page by page basis.
Well we do seem to have (from time to time) noobs who insist on creating a multitude of pages with no screencaps. I don't mind 1 or 2 pages as long as they try their hand at page building, but if they continue to populate IMFDB with lame pages, then it sends a strong message that they just don't get it.

We can do a page by page basis. It's pretty obvious when a member is 'trying' their best and when a member is an idiot. Being the internet, I fully expect more 'idiots' than sincere members, but that's just me I would cut a sincere member some slack.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Well we do seem to have (from time to time) noobs who insist on creating a multitude of pages with no screencaps. I don't mind 1 or 2 pages as long as they try their hand at page building, but if they continue to populate IMFDB with lame pages, then it sends a strong message that they just don't get it.

We can do a page by page basis. It's pretty obvious when a member is 'trying' their best and when a member is an idiot. Being the internet, I fully expect more 'idiots' than sincere members, but that's just me I would cut a sincere member some slack.
I would just like to let ya'll know that if I create a page, there will probably be no screencaps. This is mainly because I can't take screenshots on my computer (I only have the bare minimum of programs on it, which doesn't even include Microsoft Word)

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 AM

If so then you are being part of the problem.
All you need to screencap is some kind of graphics editing program like MS paint and the "Print Screen" key.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post

There you go. My first pages took some tweaking and I had to learn. But I was given a few pointers and I wasn't automatically deleted. But I also agree that there are some really terrible pages and I've marked a few for deletion. You can usually tell if somebody is really trying.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
There you go. My first pages took some tweaking and I had to learn. But I was given a few pointers and I wasn't automatically deleted. But I also agree that there are some really terrible pages and I've marked a few for deletion. You can usually tell if somebody is really trying.
Yes, BUT remember that many IMFDB members are getting less tolerant of the guys who create TONS of new pages and don't bother to learn how to screencap.

It was well described in the "noeffort" template, in which the quote hilariously (and truthfully) mentioned that such a person essentially demands that someone else take the time and effort to screencap a movie or tv show or etc. in order to complete THEIR page. I'm sure you understand why this annoys people.

I'm getting more intolerant of new members who create new and terrible pages in rapid succession. When I was a newbie (and yes we all were one once), I never created TONS of new and lame pages and lost interest and moved onto to create even MORE new and lame pages. That's what most of the members are complaining about.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Sure that's understandable.But I still feel case by case basis is necessary. I'm not against the proposal, but lets try to avoid knee jerk reactions. That's all I'm saying.