imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1091  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
And 90% of the episodes are better than the 2009 movie.

Also, I made a revamped version of my cast. Go check it out.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=39279
I'll check it out.

Here's the clip of the opening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIAVZf5nQs

If you ever watched the cartoon, I don't know what was more ridiculous, that CC would personally go expose himself to danger when the Baroness, the Twins and Destro were right there and available, or Duke would outright attempt to kill CC by punching him off the Statue of Liberty. Silliness aside, the shameless Reagan-era jingoism brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Evil Tim's Avatar
Evil Tim Evil Tim is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The surface of the sun
Posts: 740
Default

It was kinda weird over here since it was re-dubbed as "Action Force" who were "International Heroes." This mangled the theme song about as much as you'd expect (try making the word "International" last as many syllables as "A Real American" to see how much). And then the actual cartoon started and Cobra Commander was still cursing GI Joe. And they were international heroes who happened to all still be Americans.

I think after a while they started calling them "GI Joe the Action Force" in adverts (this made the theme song even worse) and later just GI Joe.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 06-13-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The scorched state of California
Posts: 2,303
Default

GI Joe never should have been "internationalized" to begin with, IMO. Imagine if they took The Unit and edited it to make all the cast into British SAS or Russian VDV for the viewership in those particular countries.

Not that I have anything against the SAS or VDV...
__________________
"Everything is impossible until somebody does it - Batman

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Evil Tim's Avatar
Evil Tim Evil Tim is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The surface of the sun
Posts: 740
Default

Yeah, it was pretty stupid, but the toys were worth the stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
And 90% of the episodes are better than the 2009 movie.

Also, I made a revamped version of my cast. Go check it out.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=39279
The one that stuck out the most was Katee Sackoff as Cover Girl. Katee is pretty enough (from certain angles) but Cover Girl was supposed to be a former model who got tired of the biz and wanted a change. (Plausible, I know.) Why not Tricia Helfer? She's got the looks, and she can be tough. (Check out the fistfight between Six and Starbuck from BSG.)
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Guys, I stopped watching the movie after seeing Channing Tatum as Duke. I then puked most of my dinner out. He is one of the worst actors I have ever seen. Everyone else was okay in the movie (even Marlon Wayans).

BTW, I made a revised GI Joe Reboot cast:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=39279
Much as I hate to play devil's advocate to Channing Tatum, he's hardly the worst actor I've ever seen. But I do frequently find myself wondering why he keeps getting cast as pretty boy soldiers - first in "Stop-Loss", then in "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra", and then in "Dear John". I would kinda prefer Hollywood find some other actor to typecast in such roles (if they're going to typecast at all - that's a whole other issue).

Also, I don't think Channing Tatum deserves to shoulder all of the blame for "Rise of Cobra". It's not like he's playing a role that requires acting, so much as looking cool in the suit and doing the stunts. If the script sucks and the director is unimaginative, then the movie is going to be unwatchable, regardless of who plays the lead.
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.

Last edited by MT2008; 06-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Much as I hate to play devil's advocate to Channing Tatum, he's hardly the worst actor I've ever seen. But I do frequently find myself wondering why he keeps getting cast as pretty boy soldiers - first in "Stop-Loss", then in "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra", and then in "Dear John". I would kinda prefer Hollywood find some other actor to typecast in such roles (if they're going to typecast at all - that's a whole other issue).

Also, I don't think Channing Tatum deserves to shoulder all of the blame for "Rise of Cobra". It's not like he's playing a role that requires acting, so much as looking cool in the suit and doing the stunts. If the script sucks and the director is unimaginative, then the movie is going to be unwatchable, regardless of who plays the lead.
I'm not going to argue that a good actor, say Jeremy Renner, as Duke would've saved the film, but it's still telling that people are calling Channing Tatum out specifically in an otherwise atrocious film. It's like when people call out Megan Fox's bad acting in Transformers. You know she had to be at a special level of bad to stand out like that.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Swordfish941's Avatar
Swordfish941 Swordfish941 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fishers, Indiana
Posts: 3,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The one that stuck out the most was Katee Sackoff as Cover Girl. Katee is pretty enough (from certain angles) but Cover Girl was supposed to be a former model who got tired of the biz and wanted a change. (Plausible, I know.) Why not Tricia Helfer? She's got the looks, and she can be tough. (Check out the fistfight between Six and Starbuck from BSG.)
Katee Sackhoff was the first person I thought of when casting Cover Girl. Anyway, what do you think of the weapons I gave each character and my simple plot outline?
__________________
Can we start with part where Jayne gets knocked out by 90-pound girl? Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Alan Tudyk), Serenity

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Katee Sackhoff was the first person I thought of when casting Cover Girl. Anyway, what do you think of the weapons I gave each character and my simple plot outline?
I think the plot outline is a little broad. Invade where, for what purpose? You have to shoehorn all of this into two hours or less.

I also think that's the first time anyone ever said anything nice about "The World is Not Enough."

I would've gone with a bow and arrow for Zartan. He killed both the Hard Master and Serpentor with a bow and arrow in the comics. (Indeed, check out the picture on his wikpedia page.) Everything else looked fine.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
It was kinda weird over here since it was re-dubbed as "Action Force" who were "International Heroes." This mangled the theme song about as much as you'd expect (try making the word "International" last as many syllables as "A Real American" to see how much). And then the actual cartoon started and Cobra Commander was still cursing GI Joe. And they were international heroes who happened to all still be Americans.

I think after a while they started calling them "GI Joe the Action Force" in adverts (this made the theme song even worse) and later just GI Joe.
I've often wondered about this: did they ever retcon the characters or change the voices on any of them to reflect their supposed multinational roots? I think they only added a British SAS guy and a Russian guy five years in.

"Once, he bought me Action Man, which is like the British version of G.I. Joe, except that Action Man has to serve in Northern Ireland!"
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.