imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
It just looks like one of DS Arms SA58 carbines
Yep, itīs based on the DSA models.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
Brazil is like China: a big country with a big industry. Their fighter program ("FX-2") is, basically, choosing between the Rafale( Lulaīs favourite), Grippen and F-18 and produce them under licence. Thatīs the difference between Brazil and Venezuela. Brazil produces tanks, armored vehicles, helicopters, planes and light weapons, meanwhile Venezuela buy their weapons to the russians.
Venezuela does have the ability to make small arms, though (including the AK factory the Russians are helping them build). That means they can flood Brazil, or Colombia (or any other country that hates Chavez) with lots of automatic weapons and ammo, which will go straight to narco-insurgents like FARC or the drug gangs. We know they're already doing this to some degree. That could be pretty painful for those targeted countries if it ties up their security forces with internal concerns.

Quote:
Mmm no, our forcesī doctrine is "one shot, one kill".
Makes sense for designated marksmen, but anyone else, hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Like my section commander in basic said - if you kill a guy, you just pissed off his buddies on either side of him. If you wound him, they have to give him first aid, carry him back, and then he's a burden on his unit and economy for anything from a few days to life.
Exactly. Though that does make the assumption that the guy's buddies (and his COs) don't associate a concept like "first aid" with the bourgeois. Or the evil infidels.

But all things being considered, I think 5.56x45 does the job just fine.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-02-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:03 AM

Actually, the Taliban are huge on getting thier wounded evacuated and to medical attention. I can't really go into detail, but they do not abandon their wounded.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Venezuela does have the ability to make small arms, though (including the AK factory the Russians are helping them build). That means they can flood Brazil, or Colombia (or any other country that hates Chavez) with lots of automatic weapons and ammo, which will go straight to narco-insurgents like FARC or the drug gangs. We know they're already doing this to some degree. That could be pretty painful for those targeted countries if it ties up their security forces with internal concerns.
Venezuela make the "new" Aks and, maybe, some other russian weapons, and yes, they can flood other countries (remember the AT4īs incident some months ago), thatīs why thereīs a new arms race: Brasil (FX-2 program and submarines, buying refurbished Leopards 1, producing the COIN Super Tucano), Ecuador, Peru, Colombia and Chile (buying Leopards 2 and planes). Chavez, drugs and the natural resources are the main problems in this region.

Quote:
Makes sense for designated marksmen, but anyone else, hmmm..
Honestly, the army (not the navy) hates the 5,56. Why? Because they have been using the same cartridge type for a century without problems, first the 7,65x54 and then the 7,62x51, this last one since the 50īs with the introduction of the Fal. This refurbished rifle is a temporary patch, FN Herstal has offered the FN2000 some years ago, but they want to keep the fire power. Personally, Iīd choose the Fn Scar in both calibers, or the Bushmaster ACR.

Quote:
But all things being considered, I think 5.56x45 does the job just fine.
Me too, but tell that to our Minister of Defence, who donīt want to make the 5,56 ammo here. That old lady is really annoying...
Old 04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Actually, the Taliban are huge on getting thier wounded evacuated and to medical attention. I can't really go into detail, but they do not abandon their wounded.
Hmmm, interesting, though it makes sense when I think about it. The Taliban have never quite as big into martyrdom as the rest of the Islamic world (they were latecomers to the suicide bombing trend, considering how long they've been around).

Quote:
Venezuela make the "new" Aks and, maybe, some other russian weapons, and yes, they can flood other countries (remember the AT4īs incident some months ago), thatīs why thereīs a new arms race: Brasil (FX-2 program and submarines, buying refurbished Leopards 1, producing the COIN Super Tucano), Ecuador, Peru, Colombia and Chile (buying Leopards 2 and planes). Chavez, drugs and the natural resources are the main problems in this region.
Yeah, the AT4 incident is what I had in mind. Though even before that, everyone knew that Chavez was providing aid to FARC. As his regime becomes less stable, though, there's a good chance he'll be willing to do a lot more of that stuff. Actually, I think that supporting proxy forces would be far more effective than any attempt to fight a conventional war with his neighbors.

Quote:
Honestly, the army (not the navy) hates the 5,56. Why? Because they have been using the same cartridge type for a century without problems, first the 7,65x54 and then the 7,62x51, this last one since the 50īs with the introduction of the Fal. This refurbished rifle is a temporary patch, FN Herstal has offered the FN2000 some years ago, but they want to keep the fire power. Personally, Iīd choose the Fn Scar in both calibers, or the Bushmaster ACR.
Well, there is a path dependency argument to keep in mind. There are a lot of countries that never want to change weapons/calibers just because there's too little benefit to justify the costs. I had this same discussion once with a Hungarian about why his country's forces never gave up their 7.62x39mm AKMs (which they call AK-63s) in favor of a 5.45x39mm or 5.56x45mm rifle. Even after they joined NATO.

Quote:
Me too, but tell that to our Minister of Defence, who donīt want to make the 5,56 ammo here. That old lady is really annoying...
I can only imagine.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Seen in another forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_BScbL2nQ
Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The recoil looks suprisingly controlable on full auto

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
The recoil looks suprisingly controlable on full auto
While some self proclaimed "experts" will tell you that a 7.62X51mm NATO weapon is "uncontrolable" on full auto. Years of having friends with both training and experiance in shooting such weapons tells me something else. The fact of the matter is that with 7.62mm firearms they take a higher level of training that a 5.56mm weapon. Observation of people using such weapons tells me that when shooting at 100m(in which distance 80% of combat takes place) a 7.62mm weapon is just as accurate as a 5.56mm weapon when fired in controled bursts. The real problem is that proper firearms training takes time and a very large budget. Take the SAS pistol techniques for example, they take two weeks of constant training and 2,500 live rounds of ammo. To train a member of the now disbanded 14th Intelligence company they used up 25,000 rounds per person to qualify them on the G3KA4,the HK53, the MP5K, the browning High Power and the Walther PPK. Trust me when I say that that is expensive no matter how you look at it.

Those DSA employees demonstraighting the weapons are the sorts of guys who make their living shooting such weapons and as such know the weapons like the backs of their hands and they probably shoot more ammo in a week than most people shoot all month.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Rockwolf, for shooting a Fal in full auto you must check the gas regulator and adjust it. Anyway, itīs just for CQ combat.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Rockwolf, for shooting a Fal in full auto you must check the gas regulator and adjust it. Anyway, itīs just for CQ combat.
For my friends the Battlerifles of choice are usually the G3A3 or the M14E2. Neither of them have gas regulators. My personal observation is that it's not the weapon but the user that's important.