imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm really not sure we should have this topic. At the very least, if you guys want me to let you keep it, you need to stop cursing so much.

Also, many of you are discussing PUNDITS, not politicians. There is a difference, you know.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Here's a question. Is it possible to be a gun lover/enthusiast/collector and NOT be viewed as a hawkish, paranoid, politically-minded individual?

I hate picking up gun or military/LE related magazines because the cover looks decent and then throwing it down in disgust 20 pages in because a good portion of the book to that point has been half-interested in the topic of discussion and more interested in throwing political jabs at anyone disagreeing with them (S.W.A.T. Magazine has been really bad at this over the last year). I mean, if I wanted to read about why I shouldn't have an ounce of care for Barack Obama, I'll turn on Fox News (by the way, if you ever catch me watching Fox News for more than 30 seconds without a look of stupidity-induced hilarity across my face, then please dear God, notify the proper authorities immediately). But since that's not why I picked up the magazine, please refrain from such and continue to tell me about the metropolitian SWAT team who just procured a bunch of new SCAR-Ls, please.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM

I see myself as being conservative and really do not like obama. Some o my views may not be very conservative though. I think making marijana legal is a good thing since its useless to enforce marijana crimes and the money can be put to something important. I am not against gay marraige. I dont go to church. I think its funny when everyone assumes since im conservative that i go to church and stuff. I am against illegal immigration, support the death penalty, pro gun, pro concealed carry, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

I find it hilarious when people think I'm a Republican just because I own guns. Truth is, I'm not dedicated to either party and base my opinions on the politician's policies and actions instead of like race, creed and political party like just about everyone else

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 PM

I guess that despite what we all like to think, very few people are completely given over to one side.

Really, what you think about different issues will be determined by your experiences and social situation, so it shouldn't be surprising that there is as wide a variance of political stances as there are personalities.

Aside: I know this is the off topic forum, but this seems even more off topic... huh.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Many people take political preference way too far. For example, if I were to declare that I was a Democrat at my school, some white supremesist asshole would call me a dirty Liberal but if I where to say that I was a Republican I would get heckled by a group "gangstas"

Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM

If you say you are a "moderate" everybody will tilt their head sideways and say:
"Huh?"
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
If you say you are a "moderate" everybody will tilt their head sideways and say:
"Huh?"
Or I could just not talk about politics because I really don't feel like breaking school property with my attacker's head

Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also, regarding the question asked by many people, "Can I be a liberal/Democrat and still like guns?"

The answer is of course. I personally know plenty of people who own guns (even AKs and ARs) but mostly disagree with conservatives and Libertarians on just about everything else - including abortion, gay marriage, foreign policy, Healthcare, etc. But if you DO consider yourself a liberal and a pro-gunner, I would hope that at least you're willing to break with the Democrats and stand up for us if push comes to shove.

One thing I will say...I've frequently had debates with other gun owners (who ARE very conservative) and who blame my generation for everything wrong with America, including gun laws. But the thing is, while people my age are, admittedly, much more liberal on social issues than previous generations, I don't think we're as liberal on gun control.

I've even argued my theory that the popularity of first-person shooter games amongst people from my generation is part of the reason why a new AWB in this country is impossible, though I get for that.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Also, regarding the question asked by many people, "Can I be a liberal/Democrat and still like guns?"

The answer is of course. I personally know plenty of people who own guns (even AKs and ARs) but mostly disagree with conservatives and Libertarians on just about everything else - including abortion, gay marriage, foreign policy, Healthcare, etc. But if you DO consider yourself a liberal and a pro-gunner, I would hope that at least you're willing to break with the Democrats and stand up for us if push comes to shove.
I totally agree. I'm pro gay marriage, I don't really care about abortion and super conservatives get on my nerves (all signs of being a liberal) but dammit, I love guns

Closed Thread