imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 AM

Default S&w m&p9

Okay, I've finally made up my mind about what my next pistol is going to be after I handled a CZ-75 a little whil back and notice the slide is hard to use if you have shovel-hands like me. That same day I handled an M&P and immediately fell in love with it (plus it won't cost me too much more than the CZ). If I can't find one for a reasonable price, then fuck it- I'll get a 5906

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'd just get the 5906. I handled an M&P 40 not too long ago and didn't like the feel of the grip angle. I also think it's ugly (which is how I feel about a lot of new handguns these days, but the M&P especially).
Old 04-17-2010, 08:13 PM

I already have a 4506 though, so it would almost like buying the same pistol twice. I sort of want the M&P so that I will own at least one "new" pistol (all my other ones are used except the High Standard, which I am trying to sell) and a 9mm

Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I already have a 4506 though, so it would almost like buying the same pistol twice. I sort of want the M&P so that I will own at least one "new" pistol (all my other ones are used except the High Standard, which I am trying to sell) and a 9mm
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a 5906 even if you have a 4506. I own a SIG 226, but I also plan to own a 228 or 229 eventually. If you are a fan of a particular brand or line, then it's perfectly fine to have more than one version.

Buying a "new" pistol for the sake of having one just seems kinda superfluous. I tend to buy used, older-model pistols instead of their newer counterparts, and I think it's sensible to do so because in my experience, a lot of guns made today are crap compared to their older counterparts.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 AM

The problem with getting a 5906 is that there aren't any for sale around here, and if you can find one it isn't usually in that great of condition. I'll probably just end up getting the M&P because it's easy to get, within my price range and I like how it feels

Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 AM

I agree with Matt, but on top of all that, the 5906 will be cheaper a little easier to maintain, and in my opinion, it's a better gun. Having it's big brother, the 4506, shouldn't deter you from getting it at all, especially if you like it and the way it works. It's more or less the same reason I got a Hi-Power after using a 1911 for so long.

I also wouldn't give up on the CZ so soon if you really need a "new" gun. The slide is a bit hard to actuate, but that's about all that's "wrong" with it, and over time I'm sure you'll get used to it. More than likely it'll be cheaper than an M&P too (even in stainless steel) and again, is the better gun in my opinion.

Guess I'm not a "new" gun or M&P fan either.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I agree with Matt, but on top of all that, the 5906 will be cheaper a little easier to maintain, and in my opinion, it's a better gun. Having it's big brother, the 4506, shouldn't deter you from getting it at all, especially if you like it and the way it works. It's more or less the same reason I got a Hi-Power after using a 1911 for so long.

I also wouldn't give up on the CZ so soon if you really need a "new" gun. The slide is a bit hard to actuate, but that's about all that's "wrong" with it, and over time I'm sure you'll get used to it. More than likely it'll be cheaper than an M&P too (even in stainless steel) and again, is the better gun in my opinion.

Guess I'm not a "new" gun or M&P fan either.
It would be difficult for me to get a 5906 if you were to just think about it. The only S&W's commonly availabe in my area are revolvers, M&P's, Sigma's and compact third generation types which are usually .40 caliber. Also, I refuse to search for a gun for three + years again like I did with the 4506

Old 04-18-2010, 04:49 AM

Forgive me for not knowing your local area sucks with reagrd to gun variety. I assumed you were on the auction site bandwagon like me. In addition to local stores, I use GunBroker, and they pretty much have everything I could think to buy. I guess you don't do that.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Is it really so hard to find a S&W 5906 in Texas? I remember scourging "Classifieds" on gun boards for a year looking for a German-made SIG P226 for sale in North Carolina. Pretty much nobody in NC had such a gun. Then I moved to Texas. Within a month, I found somebody who had the gun I wanted, and I bought it FTF. It makes me wish I was still in Texas.

Anyway, is the 5906 really as rare as the 4506? Unlike the 4506, the 5900-series used to be an issue weapon with many PDs in the United States. That means that there are bound to be lots more police trade-in guns floating around. Or at least, that's what I would have thought; maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-18-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Forgive me for not knowing your local area sucks with reagrd to gun variety. I assumed you were on the auction site bandwagon like me. In addition to local stores, I use GunBroker, and they pretty much have everything I could think to buy. I guess you don't do that.
That's where most of my guns came from. It allows a lot more choice. There is nothing wrong with gun shops if they happen to have the gun you're looking for.

MT2008, Yourname,

I think S&Wshooter is set on an M&P. I have never handed one but don't care the looks of them. But if he likes the way they feel, and the looks by all means go for it. But if my choces were the M&P or the 5906. I'd go with the 5906.

I actually prefer the older style S&W 9mm autos 39, 59, & 459.

As far as the new vs used. Only two of my guns were bought new. The Para GI Expert and the Mini-14. The Para was bought because there no Springfield M1911A1 Mil-specs used or new around. The Mini because the newer ones have a thicker barrel and better optics mounting.