imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-20-2010, 04:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default LAR Grizzly Big-Boar .50 BMG

I had one of these in my dad's shop the other day, the customer wanted to have it cleaned because the person he was buying it from gave it to him to sample before he'd buy it, so he wanted it in top shape. My dad showed it to me and I must say it's pretty damn heavy, he made me hold it for a good 20 minutes while he cleaned up his counter to put it down and my arms got pretty tired after that. Shouldering it is not nearly as easy as they make it look in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, nor is loading it, because the bolt removes from the gun (meaning one hand holds the 30+lbs of rifle while the other fumbles with the shell and bolt in hand). Sadly I didn't get to shoot it because the customer decided not to buy it from the guy, which really pissed me off because I definitely wanted to.

But this makes me wonder, do they ever use lighter versions of these guns in movies? Or maybe even just in The Lost World, because people could shoulder those .50s really easily, and the bolts looked modified because they stayed attached to the gun, and had a slider so the needle of the tranq. darts didn't miss the chamber.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 AM

You had to hold that big bastard for 20 minutes? I would have just set it down or leaned it in a corner

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-20-2010, 04:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
You had to hold that big bastard for 20 minutes? I would have just set it down or leaned it in a corner
I was still pretty much in awe by the gun so I was happy to hold it, and I didn't want to lean it anywhere because I would have been worried about it getting scratched. The only place to set it down would have been the floor (which is dirty stone) so I pretty much had to hold it until he cleaned off his counter. My dad's one of those people who keeps everything in a mess, but if he organizes it he can't find anything.