imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Why people call Mags clips?

I want to know the origins of why people still call mags clips.

I've long since stopped correcting people because it never ends. I just want to know where it began

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 AM

I form conjectures about this too. I think it originated with the mix of relatively new detachable magazine fed firearms with older firearms having fixed box magazines loaded by clips during the years around the Second World War. Whatever the case, magazines are not the same thing as clips and I usually explain that to people unless I feel it's going to incite an argument or something.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 AM

Pervasive ignorance of firearms terminology by the general public is the main reason.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM

Personally I don't get why people get all butt-hurt about it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
People don't get "butt-hurt" over it, they don't like it because it displays ignorance of very basic terminology. It's as incorrect as saying a lever arch file is a paperclip.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I'm with you. I think some people's favorite thing to do is to correct someone else when they call it a clip, to make themselves feel like an expert. My dad calls it a clip, his best friend calls them clips and he's a Vietnam vet. I've seen gun articles from the '90s where they were called clips. I always thought it was because of the Garand taking an en bloc clip.

I've never corrected anyone who's called it a clip. But I will keep referring it as a magazine in the conversation. For instance I was showing my SIG P220 to one of brothers friend he asked if they make an extended clip for it, I said they make a 10 round magazine for it.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM

It cant be ignorance if big companies in the industry also call them clips...take a look at at Marlin 17hmr rifle box because it says that the gun comes with a 4rd & 7rd clip....hmmmm....if marlin calls it a clip can people be concidered 100% wrong.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM

Around here clips and magazines are practically interchangeable. One notable gun store here has an old bucket helmet full of 1911 "clips." I know I called them magazines or clips up until several years ago when I was enlightened by you guys.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
It cant be ignorance if big companies in the industry also call them clips...take a look at at Marlin 17hmr rifle box because it says that the gun comes with a 4rd & 7rd clip....hmmmm....if marlin calls it a clip can people be concidered 100% wrong.
It's most likely because the people who wrote the advertisement is also wrong. Just because an "expert" says it, doesn't mean it is right all the time. People can be wrong

And I checked their site, Marlin actually calls them "clip magazines"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 AM

Does it really make a difference if someone refers to a mag as a clip. If you search 30 round clip in google search you'll get back 30 round magazine as a search result. Magazine and clip nowadays are interchangeable terms. Bagging on someone for calling a magazine a clip is just nitpicking. Stripper clip on the other hand.