imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Weird and wonderful

Figured it was odd we didn't have a thread for oddities, abominations and obscure firearms, so let's start one.

The Porter Turret Rifle was a rather bizarre attempt to circumvent Samuel Colt's revolver patent, using a "cylinder" with the pivot perpendicular to the barrel. This monstrosity is a percussion rifle and the chambers are in that circular section, facing in all directions (including one pointed directly at the shooter).

As well as being a terrible idea on principle, it was prone to row ignition; not so great when your rifle is designed to have a chamber pointed straight at you, and supposedly one of its designers was killed while demonstrating it.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 AM

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Download the GURPS High-Tech Pulp Guns sourcebooks. It's loaded with all sorts of period firearms from the late 19th century up to the 1930s, including weird ones like the HDH Mitrailleuse (basically that revolver up there, but with only 2 barrels).

I always have trouble finding it, but there's a website detailing pocket pistols (mostly early 20th century ones) and there's a .25 ACP pistol where you don't take the magazine out after the gun is empty. You just shove the new mag straight into the magwell and it pushes the spent one out the ejection port. I can think of a few ways that could screw up, but it would be a neat trick for a sci-fi pistol.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Saw this on Forgotten Weapons the other day:

It is the Landstad 1900 Automatic Revolver, and is basically a two shot revolver where the top chamber is in line with the barrel and the bottom chamber is reloaded from a box magazine (which to add to the bizarreness is inserted sideways into the gun and is the left grip panel).
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 PM

Arrizabalaga Jo.Lo.Ar, made in Eibar, Spain during the 20s. Unlocked breech 9 x 23mm Bergmann with a tip up barrel (probably the first tip-up semi auto), no trigger guard or safety, and with a folding cocking lever. The whole idea was a pistol for cavalry that could be drawn, cocked and fired with a single hand, leacing the other on the reins. In practice, it just seems all kinds of unsafe! Only ever purchased by the Peruvian mounted police and sold commercially, saw some use during the Spanish Civil War.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM

LifeSizePotato has a review on one of those. Very informative, and he's got a lot of weird and obscure pistols.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 AM

Now can anyone tell me what this is?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Now can anyone tell me what this is?

My guess is homemade as it has an AKM front sight, an FN FAL grip, and a backwards IMI Romat heat shield. What ammo is that thing feeding, belt looks like a 7.62x54mmR one but the bullets themselves look too short.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 AM

The builder calls it an MG47BP. Need to register to see the pictures, but there's some higher-res versions of the one you have here.

That gun seems to be about the only belt-fed bullpup, which reminded me of another probably-unique configuration: an open bolt revolving shotgun (I guess?)

TSKIB SOO made a revolving shotgun, which I think is really good looking:

Then they made a tactical version, which isn't.

Then they made a pistol version, because they're just the very best kind of crazy:
Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Yeah, the Jo.Lo.Ar. is actually mine. I haven't shot mine yet - makes me a little nervous, and I haven't tracked down an 9mm Largo ammo yet.

EDIT: He just needs to tighten the screw on the Palanca and it won't flop down like that. I had the same problem with mine.

Last edited by Nyles; 06-30-2013 at 06:08 PM.