imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default OK, 1911 aficionados, what do you recommend?

Let's say that, hypothetically, I was looking to purchase a 1911. And please note that this does not mean I will be doing so anytime soon. Right now, my priority is to purchase an M4gery before Obama and Biden try to ban them, which I expect will set me back $1,000 at least. Next after that, I'm planning on buying something for concealed carry.

But let's say that, once I get those priorities out of the way, I decided to invest money in a 1911. In this scenario, what are your recommendations? My criteria are as follows:

-I would only want a high-quality 1911, such as a newer production Colt or even an STI. I wouldn't settle for anything of lower cost/quality such as a Taurus or S&W 1911 clone, just because that was all I could afford at the time. I am very patient and fiscally conservative when I want to buy a new gun, so money would not be an issue.

-I prefer single-stack to double-stack, seeing as I expect my 1911 would mostly be a range gun (that, and the fact that I don't expect to get ambushed by a team of masked commandos in my apartment any time soon).

-I also don't need a DA gun.

-I would want high-quality wood grips instead of something newer, like plastic or rubber.

-Adjustable sights from the factory would be nice.

-I would also prefer cocking serrations only at the rear, not additional ones at the front, though I may or may not overlook this.

So, fire away.