imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Default Beretta 92FS Inox or 92SB?

Alright I've decided to try and trade in my S&W 5906 for a new pistol, mainly a Beretta 92 series. A pawn shop down the street that my friend got his gun from has had a Beretta 92FS Inox. However, last week I saw a very rare Beretta 92SB pistol in very good condition at a gun show. Here's the info on both guns:

Beretta 92FS Inox (Stainless version):
American made
Tritium Night Sight (rear only)
Hogue panel grips (no finger grooves)
1 Mec-Gar aftermarket magazine
Old style blue Beretta factory case
90% Condition or better, $550

Beretta 92SB:
Italian made
All original parts including grips
Not sure on magazines or case, didn't have it out at the gun show
90% Condition or better, $530

Bear in mind I have a S&W 5906 with 3 mags and case for trade in value, and won't be paying for the gun in whole. I'm also not gonna take this gun into combat where "the stainless finish will glare" or "the slide will break and fly back in my face". I'd just like some advice on each ones value as a gun and as a collectible, and yeah I guess overall reliability (one was made a few years ago and the other in the 80s when the slide cracking thing was an issue, but I don't know if that will affect the gun as I'm not testing it as a military testing group would). Any intelligible input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Id get the inox since its going to be easier to maintain. Personally, Id keep the smith, as a beretta doesn't fit my hand confortably, but i always prefer stainless guns when it comes to cleaning.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM

The 92's handle seems a little too short to me, but if I had to choose between an Inox and a 92SB, I'd pick the 92SB because it looks nicer and you don't see so many of them nowadays

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

I have a 92FS Inox and a 92F. I think it really depends on whether you like the stainless or black/blued. I think the 92SB were still blued then the later 92F had the black Brution (sp?) finish. The 92SB like my 92F won't have the slide notch to prevent it from coming back if it breaks. There has never been any cases with police officers and civilians having that happen. I think it was really hot ammo. Here is a pic showing the differences in the slide I found on the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92slide.jpg (24.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM

I dont really like the 92 series since grip is real thick and has a very unconfortable pressure point on my thumb while shooting. The stpid safety position doesn't bother me though as i wouldnt use it on a da/sa.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Alright I've decided to try and trade in my S&W 5906 for a new pistol, mainly a Beretta 92 series. A pawn shop down the street that my friend got his gun from has had a Beretta 92FS Inox. However, last week I saw a very rare Beretta 92SB pistol in very good condition at a gun show. Here's the info on both guns:

Beretta 92FS Inox (Stainless version):
American made
Tritium Night Sight (rear only)
Hogue panel grips (no finger grooves)
1 Mec-Gar aftermarket magazine
Old style blue Beretta factory case
90% Condition or better, $550

Beretta 92SB:
Italian made
All original parts including grips
Not sure on magazines or case, didn't have it out at the gun show
90% Condition or better, $530

Bear in mind I have a S&W 5906 with 3 mags and case for trade in value, and won't be paying for the gun in whole. I'm also not gonna take this gun into combat where "the stainless finish will glare" or "the slide will break and fly back in my face". I'd just like some advice on each ones value as a gun and as a collectible, and yeah I guess overall reliability (one was made a few years ago and the other in the 80s when the slide cracking thing was an issue, but I don't know if that will affect the gun as I'm not testing it as a military testing group would). Any intelligible input is greatly appreciated.
Personally, I don't like either of these. You say that the 92FS Inox is a newer model? Those are crap; I've seen them up close. If the one you're looking at has black controls, it's a newer one. The best ones were the ones that Beretta made back in the 1990s, which had a better (polished) finish and better build quality.

As for the 92SB, I don't think you'll have issues with the gun breaking, but I think the rounded trigger guards look kinda lame. If you're going to buy a Beretta, the squared trigger guard is the "classic" shape that everyone associates with the 92 series (even if you don't actually use it).

But really, I'd save your money and wait until you can find an earlier-model Inox. That's what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I dont really like the 92 series since grip is real thick and has a very unconfortable pressure point on my thumb while shooting. The stpid safety position doesn't bother me though as i wouldnt use it on a da/sa.
The 92 grip isn't really THAT thick, IMO. I can reach the mag release pretty easily while still keeping my finger near the trigger in SA mode. But, everyone's hands are different.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have sold my Taurus PT92, because that gun fit my hand better than just about any other pistol I've shot. My SIG is the second best, but unfortunately, putting the Hogue grips on it increases the grip circumference and now I can't get my thumb around to the release nearly as easily.

Last edited by MT2008; 01-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Do you want to go with the stainless steel look or the not so shiny look?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Personally, I don't like either of these. You say that the 92FS Inox is a newer model? Those are crap; I've seen them up close. If the one you're looking at has black controls, it's a newer one. The best ones were the ones that Beretta made back in the 1990s, which had a better (polished) finish and better build quality.

I don't think he said it was a newer model, it comes with the older style case. But that could just be the case itself. The The biggest thing I hate about newer 92's is the slanted dust cover. Ugly as shit. They put warnings all over the gun too, ruins them. That's why I bought a used '92 or '93 Italian INOX, my 92F is Italian also. I have seen some early USA made INOX's that had the straight dust cover, no warnings and silver controls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Straight92.jpg (52.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Slant92.jpg (63.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by predator20; 01-18-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Personally I'm leaning towards the SB as it has a very nice blued finish and they are pretty rare guns. The Inox is an American made model, but it is full stainless including the small parts (and no excessive warnings like predator20 has mentioned). The problem is I'd have to dump more money into the Inox over time (replacing the grips and rear sight if it's burnt out or I do not like it) which I don't have at the moment, and they could both be swept up at any time. I happen to like the rounded trigger guard too, it makes it look more classic.

As for ergonomics, I can shoot a Beretta just fine, at least as well or better than my Smith, which has a grip that's fatter, and a worse trigger. The only reason I've decided on one of these Berettas is that I have plenty of experience on them, and I want to trde my double action for a double action that's better (still working on that Hi-Power as my primary sidearm, so this gun is really a secondary/collector gun).

Needless to say you've all been a great help and I appreciate your input.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM

The grip I can still reach the release, its just awkward feeling in hand. My hands arent small, I just like slim guns. The best feeling pistol I fired was a BAER TRS with slimgrips. I shoot with my thumbs off to the side and there is a bad pressure point on one of them. Im sure I could get used to it, but the gun doesn't feel natural, and theres more options for me.